Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

JD 140 Cigarette lighter information for you.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,722 Thanks
  • 4,130 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 08:49 AM

If you have a JD 140 with the cigarette lighter, I found this out. I have knowen about this for awhile. I wanted to put a flashing light on the JD because of where I live. The people that drive up and down the road are mostly nuts. So I wanted to make myself and the tractor more visible while cleaning snow at the end of my driveway. I went to princess auto and bought a flashing light with the end that plugs into a power outlet. It was on sale too.
I knew the cigarette lighter didn't work on the tractor at this time , but I knew how to fix it. There is a manual resettable breaker built into the cigarette lighter. There is a all hole in the back of it that you push a small pin or wire in until you hear a click. This rests the lighter and you will have power there. I also cleaned up the connections in the lighter too while I was at it.
The way I found this out was, it was in the service book I have. It's nice to have the manuals. So, I hope this helps somebody out. May apply to other cigarette lighters also.

Noel

You have to take the battery out to reset the lighter, and I hung a wire in the tractor for this purpose.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc, jms180, EricFromPa and 11 others have said thanks

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,513 Thanks
  • 1,564 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 09:39 AM

it is very helpful to have a service manual thanks for the pictures

• KennyP, Lmiller3358 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,328 Thanks
  • 45,913 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 10:10 AM

I have a copy of the SM-2093 which is for the above 30001 units. Nice info to know!

• Lmiller3358 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 845 Thanks
  • 560 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for sharing, that’s one of those little things that someone will struggle
to figure out and you look like a genius if you can help.
  • propane1 said thank you

#5 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6945
  • 284 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted January 18, 2018 - 06:14 PM

propane1:

I also had a JD 140 with a cigarette lighter, and using the manual found out how to reset it. I had a cab for the 140, and used a small fan that plugged into that socket to try to keep the cab windshield clear in the winter. I also tried to power an old car radio and speaker that I mounted on the tractor. The lighter socket powered them fine, but neither really did what I wanted. Not enough air movement by the fan, and too noisy a tractor for the radio.

Harlan 

• propane1 said thank you