• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jknapp OFFLINE  

jknapp

• Member No: 4402
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 12:49 AM

To start off, i am glad i found this site! i was able to download the FSM and start figuring out what all i needed to do with my new(to me) 86 165 hydro.

i am kindof at a stumbling point though. the regulator does not seem to be putting out the voltage. i am fairly sure that when i took apart the starter switch everything went back properly(not too much to mess up in there) after a good cleaning of the contacts. i replaced the battery tonight and fired it up, the dash lights all shut off so i figured all was okay, but wanted to make sure. so i hooked up a battery tester to the battery and found it was holding steady at about 13 volts, which should be enough to keep the battery charged if i dont use the electric clutch. the really odd thing to me was that when i shut the key off the voltage jumped to 14.5(roughly) volts for a second then dropped back to 13 volts.

i printed off a scematic so i can do a couple quick tests to verify all is working properly, but i wanted to know if this is something you guys might consider normal.

thanks
josh

Edited by jknapp, July 03, 2011 - 12:56 AM.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 06:32 AM

Welcome to GTtalk jknapp !! Never noticed the voltage raising when I shut the key off so I don't have an answer for you . I'll have to try it today on my 318 , but it might have a different charging system anyway , Al

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hi Josh. That is a strange symptom. Is it possible that there is a load still on the battery that is lowering the voltage after shutdown. For instance if the points are closed and the contact in the ignition switch is still making it will drain the battery. Is the battery good or marginal. I would remove the switch and check the function of the various contacts to make sure it is working properly. I would then double check the wiring. If all that checks out I would make sure I have a good battery and run the tractor to see if the charging system is working or not. It will take a GT with a small alternator a long time to charge a discharged battery but you should see the voltage rising after startup if it is charging. If the voltage is slowly falling as the machine runs you need to check the alternator/regulator circuit. Always make sure you have a good clean connection from the engine and tractor chassis back to the battery - terminal.

#4 jknapp OFFLINE  

jknapp

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Welcome to GTtalk jknapp !! Never noticed the voltage raising when I shut the key off so I don't have an answer for you . I'll have to try it today on my 318 , but it might have a different charging system anyway , Al

Al, I never would have noticed it either had i been using a digital meter, the ol' loadtester swung pretty good thoughwhen it happened. although if everything is right with your charging system you probably wont see it. im getting ready to goto my shop and take a look at it here shortly. i will let you guys know if i find anything.
josh

#5 jknapp OFFLINE  

jknapp

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hi Josh. That is a strange symptom. Is it possible that there is a load still on the battery that is lowering the voltage after shutdown. For instance if the points are closed and the contact in the ignition switch is still making it will drain the battery. Is the battery good or marginal. I would remove the switch and check the function of the various contacts to make sure it is working properly. I would then double check the wiring. If all that checks out I would make sure I have a good battery and run the tractor to see if the charging system is working or not. It will take a GT with a small alternator a long time to charge a discharged battery but you should see the voltage rising after startup if it is charging. If the voltage is slowly falling as the machine runs you need to check the alternator/regulator circuit. Always make sure you have a good clean connection from the engine and tractor chassis back to the battery - terminal.

Brian, im no mower mechanic by any means, but there is always a chance for something to happen. I see a lot of odd things being a boat mechanic.
As to the battery, i am not saying its "good" but it is new, i just purchased it from the local walmart last night, i have not done a test on it to see how "good" it is but with the key off it has around 13V.
I printed off a schematic for the wiring on the ol' 165 and plan on going through some testing here this morning. i will let you guys know what i find.
josh

#6 jknapp OFFLINE  

jknapp

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:51 PM

well, got down to doing some tests, the voltage at the battery was about 12.66 volts according to the multimeter(key off) fired it up and voltage was about 12.79V. tiurned the lights on and it stayed right around that 12.79V then shut off the lights and turned the deck onvoltage went to about 12.83V. turned the lights back on with the deck running and the voltage stayed right about that 12.83V. so i guess this means it is charhging. just not as i would have expected it to. i did have the rpms up when testing, after i shut the deck off i rechecked the voltage with the rpms down and the voltage did go down to about 12.68V. my guess is either i have a stator flywheel problem, or these engines dont have much for a charging system. I will have to hook up my shunt sometime and see how many amps are going back into the battery to find out for sure. did get some mowing done too!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 05:02 PM

If it is a brand new battery it will have a very low internal impedance and it may not be fully charged due to sitting in stock for a while. The charging system may only be a few amps and is not able to raise the voltage of the battery quickly when a load is on the battery. I would still check the - battery/chassis/engine block connections, as a small fraction of an ohm can cause enough voltage drop to prevent the charging system from operating properly. At least it is working well enough to put it to work!

#8 jknapp OFFLINE  

jknapp

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 12:55 PM

will do on checking the connections. gonna try and get it home from the shop and take care of the yard here too. got some pictures of it yesterday in the rain, im gonna try figuring out how to upload to the gallery here next

josh