8 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 122 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 12:43 PM

Hi,

I know this is not what collecting is all about but here is the question. My B112 is not being very helpful at my winter chores due to it's refusal to start. In fact it is under a tarp in the drive as I can't get it to run back into the barn at the moment. When it is running it is great at snow relocation duties and I need it. Last year I had to shovel 30 inches of snow off of my 150 foot drive as Alice did not want to start. The same yesterday. I did get it running and she did a great job with the snow. I shut it off to clean the snow off before I put it back in the barn and even though it had only sat for 5 minutes I could not get it running again.

My question is can I update the engine in this tractor? Is there a new modern motor that will drop in and work properly with the 112? I do use the front pto so I need that shaft as well. I love the vintage but I don't want to have a heart attack because the machine I rely on doesn't feel like getting up on cold mornings.

• chieffan and have said thanks

#2 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 01:36 PM

When you do get it started, is the engine knocking or smoking? These cast iron briggs engines are great and if the engine itself is in good condition it maybe best to just put a little work into it and get it running better. Sometimes a little wiring job or carburetor work will do a lot. If its a point engine ( I think it is) then throw a new set of points in and a plug as well and you can have a great running reliable engine with a lot less cost and or work involved.  

#3 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 01:37 PM

I put it back in the barn and even though it had only sat for 5 minutes I could not get it running again.

Makes me think its a carburetor issue, do you have a fuel shut off valve?

#4 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 122 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 02:09 PM

I put it back in the barn and even though it had only sat for 5 minutes I could not get it running again.

Makes me think its a carburetor issue, do you have a fuel shut off valve?

Hi again,

No smoking and it runs quite nicely once it is going. It will flood with too excessive throttle movement when it cranks so you do have to watch for that. It has a new fuel shut off valve as well as a carb rebuild 3 summers ago. I caught it dripping gas one day so I rebuilt the carb. I replaced the shut off valve as it was still leaking out of the fuel line even with the valve closed. The Briggs was a points motor but the PO upgraded to electronic ignition. It has good spark ( in open air ). I really think the problem is turning over too slow. I wonder if you can put a larger pulley on the starter motor.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,300 Thanks
  • 7,092 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 04:10 PM

Check your starter and make sure the bushings are good on both ends.  They do wear and when they do the starter starts dragging.  An electric motor shop can rebuild it for you, then you will know for sure.  Also clean wire terminals from the battery to the starter.  Try a booster pack or can use one jumper cable, to go direct to the starter and see if it turns faster. 

#6 karel ONLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 2,312 Thanks
  • 1,486 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 03:54 AM

Another grasshopper! gets a taste of vintage!

#7 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • Member No: 89033
  • 86 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 08:18 AM

sometimes these tractors can be a headache but you gotta love um good luck steve 

#8 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 122 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 11:19 AM

Oh I do love it, best mower I have ever used. Still got to work if it is going to take up all of that space in the shop.

#9 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,151 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 02:05 PM

Have you checked the battery. How long will it turn over. Are all the electrical connections  clean. Are you running appropriate oil. That is a well designed machine, If it is well maintained it will run, start and work exceptionally well. If you insist on re-powering it then it there are many considerations involved the least of which is bolt up.If you are going to go to all the effort of making sure a new engine is compatible with the existing fuel system, electrical system, hydraulic system, and the mechanical system Then why not make it a real upgrade and go diesel. Don