• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Dince OFFLINE  

Dince
  • Member No: 71453
  • 14 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 02:38 PM

That's a good indicator the engine isn't spinning fast enough to start. 

Make sure there's no load on any of the belts which might bog down the engine. 

Check the tension on the starting belt.  Once on mine,  I noticed the starter was spinning faster than the belt was moving.

Dee, why does an engine “pop” when you turn the ignition off? Is it running too rich???

David from Downunder

#17 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 67 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 05:20 PM

Dee, why does an engine “pop” when you turn the ignition off? Is it running too rich???

David from Downunder

Hard to say for sure.  Could be fuel mixture or shut down procedure or timing.

Lots of discussion on the topic,  here's some:

http://www.mytractor...e-backfire.html

#18 Dince OFFLINE  

Dince
  • Member No: 71453
  • 14 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 12:57 AM

Thanks, Dee, for your reply and the reference. It obviously is of widspread concern, the theory that it is that cylinder of fuel vapour after the ignition has been turned off, hitting the hot exhaust and igniting, explosively, sounds good to me! Kind regards. David

#19 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 67 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:58 AM

I have replaced the belt now. That was an interesting bit of working in tight spaces my hands don't fit in. I could not have got the job done without the ridiculously long pair of needle nose pliers I purchased at the Tractor Supply. I had to take the drive coupler completely apart to get the belt on / off.  I could not figure out how to get a couple of the shim washers back on ( they kept slipping out of alignment ). I finally used a dab of hot melt glue to hold them to the plastic disc. Then it was just a matter of blind aligning 3 things at the same time and tightening the bolts. It took 2.5 hours to do the job, which also included a trip to the auto parts store.  It did start right up after the belt replacement so that's good. The weather here is about 40 degrees warmer than it has been though. I guess we will see when the temps fall back down.

4 questions though. What is the plastic disc that connects the drive shaft to the motor called? Are these available anymore? Is the coil for the Briggs motor 300421 ( I think ) under  the shroud? Can you get to that without pulling the motor?

Thanks all.

Glad to hear it's running again.  Yes, replacing the starter belt is a pain.

That plastic disc is actually referred to as a fiberglass coupling for the drive shaft.  They are still available both used and new. 

The coil is under the shroud and I believe for your model you will need to pull the engine to replace it. A job much like changing the starter belt, but bigger. 

Many folks will instead replace the electronic ignition module back to points and condenser then add an external 12 volt car coil instead.  This eliminates pulling the engine.

I recently had a problem where I had a weak spark problem causing a no-start condition.  I was looking to do the external coil thing on my B-110, but found by simply replacing my NOVA ignition module with the old points and condenser, I got my spark back and the engine is starting properly again.  The NOVA module was in use for many years and apparently they do wear out.

thread is here:

http://gardentractor...-coil-on-b-110/

If you still have trouble starting later on, check for a weak spark and maybe replacing the NOVA module or reverting back to points and condenser will help.

Edited by Dee, February 14, 2018 - 01:00 AM.

• steve b said thank you