caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:57 PM

I found these at the Ashtabula, OH show this afternoon. These are the pics of them being towed back to MH81's Dad's set-up area. There are a hundred things wrong with them that even a novice like me picked out, but the price was right...and then he threw in the second one and made me an offer I couldn't refuse!

100_0812.jpg

I think that the rusty red one is an RJ and I think the orange one is a Suburban.

That's MH81 towing them with his Sears Suburban 12. His Daughter KK is on one of the tractors and yours truly is on the other. We switched which one she was driving because the steering on the red one is TIGHT!
I'm gonna need a lot of time and parts to get them back to original as neither one has the correct engine and there are some other issues as well.
I'll get some better pics ASAP and I also want to look them over more thoroughly...but I now have not one, but 2 round hoods in my collection!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0810.jpg
  • 100_0818.jpg

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 10:09 PM

Congratz to ya Steve, and good thing KK was there to help. So which round hood is her reward for helping? LOL

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Congratz to ya Steve, and good thing KK was there to help. So which round hood is her reward for helping? LOL

:bigrofl:

She ended up Driving the back one shortly after the pics and was the brakes for both of them going downhill. He got a couple of really nice units there, they've had hard lives, but are really savable. You should've seen how exited he was... like a kid with a new toy at Christmas. To his credit, he didn't crawl under either one. He wanted too, but this was the end of the day and they were just leaving when he struck this deal. So, he had to just give them each a good night kiss and go home.
  • larryd said thank you

#4 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:19 AM

The middle one is an 1958/59 RJ-58 and the last one is a 1961 401/551.
  • MH81, caseguy and larryd have said thanks

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:56 AM

Very nice tractors! Glad you got a good deal.
  • larryd said thank you

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I am definitely one happy camper!! Thanks for the ID help Mike! I'm guessing that the serial number would be the only way to tell whether it's a '58 or '59 RJ-58? I have yet to find a serial or model tag on either of them. Been a REALLY busy couple of days. Where should the tag be?
Also, what would be the differences between a 401 and a 551? I plan a complete restoration on them and just want to get it right! I have so many questions...hard to know where to start LOL!
  • larryd said thank you

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:31 PM

Looks like the starting of a chain gang there steve. Nice looking tractors you found.
  • larryd said thank you

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:31 PM

I though that the little story of how the round hoods got home deserved it's own space...you'll see why.

This is a picture of my wife's minivan.

DSCN2775.jpg

This is a pic of the inside packed tight with all the goodies I brought home today!

DSCN2777.jpg

This is a picture of all that stuff after I unloaded it.

DSCN2778.jpg

From left to right: just a push mower with most of a Clinton engine on it, A Kohler K90 engine, Another push mower with a complete Clinton engine on it!, a savable set of fenders for the 401 / 551 as well as a set of foot rests for it, the 401 / 551, the RJ58.

My trusty tape measure (and my imagination) said that all of this would fit in the minivan with the doors closed! There were others (who shall remain unnamed) who said that it wouldn't. But it did, and all of it (and we) made it home safely. Hope that you enjoyed the pics!
  • larryd said thank you

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:34 PM

Nice haul Steve!
  • larryd said thank you

#10 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:43 PM

I have seen how you pack stuff so no surprise it fit :worshippy2:
  • larryd said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:03 AM

I have seen how you pack stuff so no surprise it fit :worshippy2:

Oh, that's right, you've seen his barn, I forgot about that... :bigrofl:

Steve, nice haul! I can't get over how light they are, yet very well built. I think this would be the perfect snowplow tractor... Engine keepin the important parts warm.
  • larryd said thank you

#12 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:06 AM

This is a personal opinion, and is sure to create a firestorm of controversy but, I seriously doubt there ever was an "official" RJ-59 ever built by Wheel Horse. No one has ever produced a serial number tag reading "RJ-59". In the years I have been seeking information on the RJ058/59 (which is extensive), it is my opinion that WH manufactured RJ-58's for two years. The final stages of production, roughly 2500 machines or less, used some additional parts derived from the upcoming 1960 400 machine, and hence had some minor differences to their predecessors. Other than that I don't believe there really is an RJ-59, period.

RJ-58/59: That said, the model/serial tag is located on the top side of the left-front frame, immediately behind the hood where the hood mounts to the frame. See image below. The only way to get an idea of date of manufacture, short of the tag, is to look at the casting date on the transmission center section. The date code is cast immediately to the right of the hole in which the shifter passes. That date code is the letter and numbers indicating month and year of casting. Let me know what the cast date is and I can tell you roughly when the transmission was manufactured. Not a conclusive method if the trans was replaced but ballpark if it is original.

401/551:
The only difference between a 401 and 551 is the engine. The 401 had a 4hp Kohler K91-41437A, and the 551 had a 5.5hp Tecumseh-Lawson H55D-2113. Unless you are excessively lucky, you're more likely to find the K-91 before the Techy.

Posted Image

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I am definitely one happy camper!! Thanks for the ID help Mike! I'm guessing that the serial number would be the only way to tell whether it's a '58 or '59 RJ-58? I have yet to find a serial or model tag on either of them. Been a REALLY busy couple of days. Where should the tag be?
Also, what would be the differences between a 401 and a 551? I plan a complete restoration on them and just want to get it right! I have so many questions...hard to know where to start LOL!

Edited by MikesRJ, July 04, 2011 - 06:15 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#13 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 07:55 AM

Now that's what being in the right place at the right time is all about. Nice!
  • larryd said thank you