• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,638 Thanks
  • 2,351 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 08:23 PM

The tiller steering does take some getting use to Chris, but it adds to the fun when using it. It's easy to get use to it and you sort of forget about it with time. It's kind of like learning how to ride a bike, and after a while, you just ride without thinking about it. It steers easily, even when not moving. I was pretty surprised at that when I first got on a Gibson. They did make the Super D model with a hood, rear fenders, a bigger floor board, and a steering wheel. I have a model SD with a hood and fenders that I'm restoring, but it still has the tiller steering.
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,310 Thanks
  • 6,392 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 11:04 PM

Would be fun to give it a try. 

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,007 Thanks
  • 47,162 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 04:53 AM

I've always picked up vintage things from yard sales, like tools, cast iron cook ware, and any hand forged hinges, latches, or other hardware. These old garden tractors just have a look to them that I like, and they are well built and easy to work on. Bob, the Gibson model D like this one came with the Wisconsin AEH engine which was made until 1949. The AEH for the Gibson has a crankshaft that's 1-1/2" longer than the standard AEH crankshaft, to accomidate the 6 groove belt pulley. Cheiffan, I hear you about cutting wood in the cold weather. 18-20 degrees is about the lowest temps I'll cut in. I've cut down a couple of monster oaks in the past, but just split the wood on the spot before hauling it out. It's good winter time exersize and I don't overdo it. John, I have some old cross cut saws, but no clothes from back then, HA! It would be cool to take some pics like that, though. We should start a vintage thread here with black and white photos only and see where it goes. Thanks Kenny, Allis looks good in your edited pic! I never consider anyone posts a hijack in any way. I see what anyone adds as a contribution to the conversation. Hank, you have to get some "classic" pics of the nice tractors in your collection. They would look like they are straight out of a magazine advertisement. Well, glad you guys enjoyed the pics!

The thread with only 'vintage look' photos can be done. I could 'pin' it so it wouldn't get lost. Up to the folks here. I'm asking the other Mods where we should put it. For those of you without editing software, I can help with that. Just need a good sized pic to work with.

• classic said thank you