Garden Tractor Forums banner

Some vintage photos of todays fun.

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
I edited some pics that I took today while cutting firewood. I cut down a dead oak and was able to haul it out in one load. At 71 years old ,the Gibson is still working hard. It hit 20 degrees today, and the ground was frozen solid after the rain we just had. It was a good day to cut and haul wood out, and I spotted a dead maple, so that's next.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You're welcome, Mark. I was tinkering with the photo editing thing on my tablet and it has an editing thing that says vintage. I just hit that and it added 70 years to my pics. I thought they looked pretty good, so I figured that I'd post them that way. I just need to build a wooden cart with Model T Ford wooden spoke rims and tires now. I've been wanting to build an old looking cart for a while now.

#7 ·
Those are great pics! Makes you think they were taken way back when!

Reactions: classic
#8 ·
Nice photos. Love looking at those "old time" photos. Open station tractor no less, but sure did the job at hand. I have an oak that is down but trunk is about 3 times that size. To cold now to go after it at 4° F this morning. That's our high for the day.

#10 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but I tried one of Alice.

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Sure makes it look older.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've always picked up vintage things from yard sales, like tools, cast iron cook ware, and any hand forged hinges, latches, or other hardware. These old garden tractors just have a look to them that I like, and they are well built and easy to work on. Bob, the Gibson model D like this one came with the Wisconsin AEH engine which was made until 1949. The AEH for the Gibson has a crankshaft that's 1-1/2" longer than the standard AEH crankshaft, to accomidate the 6 groove belt pulley. Cheiffan, I hear you about cutting wood in the cold weather. 18-20 degrees is about the lowest temps I'll cut in. I've cut down a couple of monster oaks in the past, but just split the wood on the spot before hauling it out. It's good winter time exersize and I don't overdo it. John, I have some old cross cut saws, but no clothes from back then, HA! It would be cool to take some pics like that, though. We should start a vintage thread here with black and white photos only and see where it goes. Thanks Kenny, Allis looks good in your edited pic! I never consider anyone posts a hijack in any way. I see what anyone adds as a contribution to the conversation. Hank, you have to get some "classic" pics of the nice tractors in your collection. They would look like they are straight out of a magazine advertisement. Well, glad you guys enjoyed the pics!

#16 ·
The tiller steering does take some getting use to Chris, but it adds to the fun when using it. It's easy to get use to it and you sort of forget about it with time. It's kind of like learning how to ride a bike, and after a while, you just ride without thinking about it. It steers easily, even when not moving. I was pretty surprised at that when I first got on a Gibson. They did make the Super D model with a hood, rear fenders, a bigger floor board, and a steering wheel. I have a model SD with a hood and fenders that I'm restoring, but it still has the tiller steering.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've always picked up vintage things from yard sales, like tools, cast iron cook ware, and any hand forged hinges, latches, or other hardware. These old garden tractors just have a look to them that I like, and they are well built and easy to work on. Bob, the Gibson model D like this one came with the Wisconsin AEH engine which was made until 1949. The AEH for the Gibson has a crankshaft that's 1-1/2" longer than the standard AEH crankshaft, to accomidate the 6 groove belt pulley. Cheiffan, I hear you about cutting wood in the cold weather. 18-20 degrees is about the lowest temps I'll cut in. I've cut down a couple of monster oaks in the past, but just split the wood on the spot before hauling it out. It's good winter time exersize and I don't overdo it. John, I have some old cross cut saws, but no clothes from back then, HA! It would be cool to take some pics like that, though. We should start a vintage thread here with black and white photos only and see where it goes. Thanks Kenny, Allis looks good in your edited pic! I never consider anyone posts a hijack in any way. I see what anyone adds as a contribution to the conversation. Hank, you have to get some "classic" pics of the nice tractors in your collection. They would look like they are straight out of a magazine advertisement. Well, glad you guys enjoyed the pics!
The thread with only 'vintage look' photos can be done. I could 'pin' it so it wouldn't get lost. Up to the folks here. I'm asking the other Mods where we should put it. For those of you without editing software, I can help with that. Just need a good sized pic to work with.

Reactions: classic
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.