• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:41 PM

so i think im gonna rebuild. no matter how much i mess with the breather it doesnt stop oil from blowing into the cylinder and making it blow smoke. right now ive only found 1 complete rebuild kit without valves. the price is high, over 330. anyone else know where i can shop? and my local engine shops are out of the question since once is over priced and the other one, well lets just say id let my bolens rot before supporting them =)

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:59 PM

The price don't sound to bad for the kit. What does it include.

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 02, 2011 - 10:05 PM

pistons rings and gaskets. id like to put new valves in, but with these prices forget it.

#4 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:15 AM

If you like the Kohler twin, and your rods and crank are good I would rebuild it. Your not going to find a replacement motor (new or used) with similar power and quality for the price of a rebuild.

#5 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 03, 2011 - 10:07 AM

some guy near me is selling one of the diesel engines from a bolens ht20d. id like to buy that, but 900 is out of the question, atleast for now =)

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 10:20 AM

I wouldnt buy that. Thats crazy money at $900

Did you do a leak down test or put hook your compressor/air tank up to the cylinder? Youll be able to hear the air leak into the crankcase or if its that bad pop the dipstick out lol

$300 doesnt sound bad. $100 for the gasket kit. $100 for each piston/ring set/wrist pin. I dont see why you wont be able to re use the old valves. This isnt a Kohler Courage LOL. Just get them refaced and the seats reground at the machine shop. Thatll run you about $100. Also get some plasti gauge and check the crankpin to rod clearance. If its beyond spec thatll be $80 for each rod and $50 to grind each journal.

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 10:22 AM

You can also get aftermarket piston and rings that will fit the single cylinders, they just arent listed for the twins. Those are something like $40/set so $80 compared to $200-250

#8 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:10 PM

i know 900 is insane, but diesel is just, amazing. if i can talk him down to 400 or 500 its mine lol. and i think im gonna sell the old 77 jag snowmobile to buy the rebuild kit, then come autumn, im gonan buy a 440 jag. anyway if it wasnt raining today id try and get the timing figured out on the governer since i messed with it and messed it up, but its an easy fix.