18 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,369 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 11:17 AM

Been watching all through the Midwest for one.  Need the rear end out of on to replace my bad one.  220 mile round trip and it is in the shed on the trailer.  Cot a thrower and deck with it.  Also a blade that was originally for a LT I believe and adapted to fit the QT.  Basically scrap.  Owner said he had the engine running but was spitting gas up through the carb.  Tires were up but in 5° F it would hardly move.  Opened the free wheel valve a turn and didn't help a lot but enough that we got it about 15' on cement to the back of the trailer.  Hooked up the winch on on it came.  Strapped things down and headed for home, backed it in the shed and quit for the day.  Grabbed a couple pics this morning.  Gear box on the thrower is froze, either from water or bearings.  Augur is free and bearings fell OK.  Not beat up to bad, nothing that a hammer and steel block won't take care of.  Didn't look at the underside of the deck but what wasn't covered with a dusting of snow looked OK.  Another project to work on when the weather warms up.

SAM_0469.JPG   SAM_0473.JPG   SAM_0472.JPG

SAM_0470.JPG   SAM_0471.JPG

• Bolens 1000, 101 senior, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,942 Thanks
  • 47,128 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 11:20 AM

Good luck with it!

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 550 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 01:01 PM

Those are good machines, too bad the front of them are so ugly!!!!
  • poncho62, Sawdust, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 11,369 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 05:01 PM

Especially with no head lamps and the grill not painted.  I have another QT 16 with good tin and seat.  Got a good seat with this one but for an MTd build.  Also got the drive shaft connection to the tractor.

• logmillingman said thank you

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 2,119 Thanks
  • 1,784 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 05:17 PM

A face only a mother could love.....kinda like me

• Rainier and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 11,369 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 08:09 AM

As long as they do the work asked of them who care if the front looks a little different.  I have seen a lot worse on new ones and they are all plastic.

• KennyP, Rainier and logmillingman have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,942 Thanks
  • 47,128 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 08:11 AM

I'd drive it around proudly. It would be nice to have a Bolens!

• chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#8 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 724 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 11:54 AM

Also got the slightly larger B43M Onan. I had one with that repower and it was a beast!

Paul

#9 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,450 Thanks
  • 807 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 12:14 PM

Never thought I'd want or have a "newer style Bolens" but now I've acquired 2. I have a 1700 and 1900 in my garage. I think they are very nice tractors and I'm hoping to mow with the 1700 come spring... I've heard they mow well. Enjoy your new project!

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 11,369 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 12:03 PM

Warmed up so went down and messed with things some yesterday afternoon.  Gear box on the thrower will move back and forth about 1/8 turn.  Feels like ice in the gear box.  Linkage on the hydro is messed up as the brake lever won't come back all the way to let the hydro pedal to move.  Will have to get under it to see what is going on there.  Has a new battery but a cheapy Shopco light duty.  Wiring needs redone as mice found some of them.  Motor is free.  Pulled the fuel tank to clean it out good and make it easier to see down in there.  Can not remove the tunnel cover on these as it is part of the steering tower. 

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 11,369 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 12:34 PM

Thrower gear box shaft will turn 1/2 a turn back and forth.  gaining some every day.  Am sure it is just ice inside.  Not forcing the issue.  No head way on the hydro linkage.  Brake pedal is released but won't go forward.  Rods to the brake actuators are removed. Hydro pedal will only move to take the slack out.  Can't really see anything up under there that is causing the problem.  Have another QT that function OK but has the deck under it so can't get in position to see anything.  May have to wait for warmer weather and get the chain hoist out to stand the tractor on it's tail where it is easier to see what is going on.

#12 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • 724 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 11:37 AM

Thrower gear box shaft will turn 1/2 a turn back and forth.  gaining some every day.  Am sure it is just ice inside.  Not forcing the issue.  No head way on the hydro linkage.  Brake pedal is released but won't go forward.  Rods to the brake actuators are removed. Hydro pedal will only move to take the slack out.  Can't really see anything up under there that is causing the problem.  Have another QT that function OK but has the deck under it so can't get in position to see anything.  May have to wait for warmer weather and get the chain hoist out to stand the tractor on it's tail where it is easier to see what is going on.

There is a fill plug on side of blower gearbox. Maybe remove that and stand blower on end to drain old lube and water? As for the brake pedal, did you mean you can't pull it back, rather than forward?

• chieffan, logmillingman and Corvairguy have said thanks

#13 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 11,369 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 12:42 PM

There is a fill plug on side of blower gearbox. Maybe remove that and stand blower on end to drain old lube and water? As for the brake pedal, did you mean you can't pull it back, rather than forward?

Seal is out of the gear box on the thrower.  Tipped it clear back and water ran out so left it that way.  Will turn clear around now but likes to catch in on spot.  Probably pull the box and make sure what is in there.

Brake pedal would not come back far enough to let the hydro pedal move.  It was the ends of the cross shaft seized up.  Got it loose with PB Blaster so that problem is solved.  Hydro is good as it was fired up and checked out this morning.  At least it moves - but my other one does also.  Just wants to jerk when against a grade.  Level and down grade and reverse is good.  Will run backwards up a grade full out with no problem.  Only when going forward it wants to jerk.

Another project for another day.   Now on to rewiring this beast.

• lrhredjb, logmillingman, Paulgo and 2 others have said thanks

#14 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • 724 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 01:25 PM

I've had good luck with these switches on QT16's and HT23's. Cheap imports, but have correct terminals.  Paul

https://www.ebay.com...353.m1438.l2649

• Cvans, chieffan, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#15 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 11,369 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 10:07 AM

I've had good luck with these switches on QT16's and HT23's. Cheap imports, but have correct terminals.  Paul

https://www.ebay.com...353.m1438.l2649

Thanks.  Hard to find anything electrical that is not imported any more.  When you do the price is outrageous for us poor folks.

• Cvans, logmillingman and Paulgo have said thanks