9 replies to this topic

#1 curtz OFFLINE  

curtz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 88678
  • 17 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 10:36 AM

I just installed a Johnson loader on my model 995 MTD tractor and don't need the 50" mower deck that came with the tractor.  Anyone have an idea what the value of deck is as I am interested in selling it and making some room in my garage.  The loader works great on the MTD as I moved lots of snow yesterday. Very pleased with the installation.  I made the ballast box out of 3/4" plywood mounted on an angle iron frame attached to the 3 point hitch.  Not real pretty but hold about 300 pounds of sand it was just about the right amount of ballast for the loader. Any ideas on pricing the mower deck would be appreciated.  I live in North Dakota so there may not be much of a market in this area.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-0861.JPG
  • IMG-0860.JPG

• boyscout862, MolonLabe and chieffan have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,545 Thanks
  • 9,425 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 10:55 AM

Welcome to GTT. I don't know what to charge in your area. I bought my MTD 860 with deck and blower for a good package price. I generally see decks for older GTs between $100 and $400. The $100 ones sell quick but $400 ones don't seem to sell. You can post an ad on here for free and negotiate a price if you want. The shipping can be a deal killer.

If you need manuals for your GT, you can go to our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day). I would like to see a pic of your GT in the sunlight. Good Luck, Rick
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 curtz OFFLINE  

curtz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 17 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Rick.  I will take another photo of the tractor in then sun as suggested as it was a bit dim in the garage. For some reason the picture rotated 90 degrees so I will see if I can correct that as well.  Is there a separate section for ads?  I did download a couple of the manuals and they were very helpful.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,857 Thanks
  • 47,081 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 11:25 AM

Thanks Rick.  I will take another photo of the tractor in then sun as suggested as it was a bit dim in the garage. For some reason the picture rotated 90 degrees so I will see if I can correct that as well.  Is there a separate section for ads?  I did download a couple of the manuals and they were very helpful.

:wave:  Welcome to the forum! If you are using a phone to upload pics, that is just an ongoing issue. Classifieds are in the 'Trash and Treasures' forum further down. Here's a link.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 curtz OFFLINE  

curtz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 17 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 08:53 PM

Thanks I will post an ad there.

#6 curtz OFFLINE  

curtz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 17 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 12:36 AM

I purchased the 1998 MTD model 995 from a hobby farm couple in south central North Dakota about an hour away from where I live.  I paid $100 for the tractor which wasn't running at the time and after replacing the battery, ignition switch, a front tire and a couple of headlights I had it up and running.  The tractor has an 18 HP twin opposing cylinder engine with a hydrostatic transmission and hydraulic three point hitch and mower deck lift. Next I wanted to get a loader for it and found one about 20 miles south of Rapid City South Dakota.  I made the 375 mile trip and purchased the loader for $775.  The loader had the cessna hydraulic pump and all the rams but was missing the mounting hardware and needed new hoses.  So after hauling it home I replaced all the hoses and made the mounting hardware out of 3/8" thick angle iron and 1 1/4" square steel tubing along with pieces of 1/4" and 3/8" flat iron plating for brackets and support pieces.  I mounted the cessna pump to the front of the tractor with a heavy couple of plates and purchased a couple of shaft adapters to go from the 1" splined pto shaft to a 3/4" round shaft to mount a pulley.  I added a center mounted pillow block bearing to help maintain alignment and to take some pressure off of the pto shaft.  I also added a pressure gauge to monitor hydraulic pressure at the tower tank.  Next I welded up a steel frame and mounted that to the three point hitch and built a couple of 3/4" plywood boxes to hold about 280 pounds of sand for ballast.  I made a sheet metal cover to keep the snow and rain out of the ballast boxes.  I also purchased a new set of tire chains for the winter weather.  I had my first opportunity to use the tractor to clear snow and it worked great after a few adjustments to the hydraulic pump pulley alignment.  The tilt and lift actions is fairly smooth and although not overly quick it seems to function as designed. The pump kicks out about 500 - 700 psi of hydraulic pressure and seems more than adequate for the loader. I have some fine tuning to do but overall I am pleased with the final product. I have about $1,500 in this project.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ballast Box.JPG
  • Tractor Loader 4.JPG
  • 995.png

• Cvans, Rock farmer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#7 curtz OFFLINE  

curtz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 17 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 12:38 AM

Here is a photo of the mount that I made for the pto driven hydraulic pump. I forgot to add it to the last post.

Attached Thumbnails

• Hydraulic Pump.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#8 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 534 Thanks
  • 390 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 11:21 AM

Try $200 to start. That is where I would start here in Michigan.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,278 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 11:43 AM

Nice work on the project. Having a small loader tractor is a big plus. 

#10 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • Member No: 89033
  • 86 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 08:10 AM

good work on the loader look's nice & sturdy welcome to the forum