• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 05:38 AM

I am getting older and it is hard to lift heavy stuff in and out of my pickup truck.  I have a Power King 2414 tractor and I would like to use a boom pole to lift stuff out and into my pickup truck.  Is this feasible?  Does anybody have one setup?  Can I lift 200 or 300 pounds without tipping the tractor using the 3 pt hitch?

I figure the pole needs to be fairly short since it is a small tractor. So I only need to make it to the end of the truck. A couple of feet will do. 

I still have the box blade I bought in the back of my truck.  It sure would be nice to use the tractor to unload it.

Edited by coxhaus, January 13, 2018 - 05:48 AM.

• boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,284 Thanks
  • 45,886 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 06:22 AM

I don't think you could get high enough with a short pole, depending on what you are lifting. Plus you may need front weights. My boom pole is about 5' long. I have a loop welded on about half way for things like that, but can't get it high enough to load things into the Dodge. The tailgate is pretty high on it. And with something heavier than 200 lbs., I'd look into one of these mounted in the truck.

The PK's do have a higher stance, so it might work better. Hope someone with one can answer this better than I.

• jimbobbillyray, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 jimbobbillyray OFFLINE  

jimbobbillyray
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,822 Thanks
  • 2,781 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 06:44 AM

Kenny has the right idea...

Or, you might see if you can buy a cheap chain fall hoist at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, that you can hook up in your garage, or on a stout tree limb ...back your truck under it and lift /hoist what you need to take out of the bed of your truck....my brother has a heavy duty spin around hoist mounted to the concrete floor in his barn that works great to lift heavy stuff in and out of a truck bed...

Edited by jimbobbillyray, January 13, 2018 - 06:52 AM.

• boyscout862, Mark 149 J. and coxhaus have said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,884 Thanks
  • 7,459 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 07:24 AM

I think a member here made a tow behind crane for their tractor that might work for you 

• Gtractor, boyscout862, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#5 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,150 Thanks
  • 2,643 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 07:32 AM

I made this 5' pole when I had the JD 420, came in very handy.  It attached to the "A" frame by a receiver tube.HPIM2013.JPG   HPIM2012.JPG   HPIM2014.JPG

The cylinder could be replaced with a top link if needed!

• Alc, KennyP, jimbobbillyray and 6 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,840 Thanks
  • 9,165 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 08:11 AM

You have alot of options. Some would depend on your fianaces and your ability to fabricate steel parts. Two other possibilities would be a big wood sawhorse type frame(cross bar at 8') with a come along or a small boom that is mounted to the front of your PK. IF you can fabricate it, the boom will be very handy for alot of projects. It can be in just a fixed position with a winch on the boom and a snatch block on the tip or you may be able to use the tractors hydraulics. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 13, 2018 - 08:22 AM.

• grnspot110, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,022 Thanks
  • 1,050 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 08:45 AM

My Speedex is a similar tractor and it came with a boom pole that is about 5' long.  With a 40lb weight on the front I can only lift a couple hundred pounds with it.  I need to put an extra loop or two so I can use it shorter for heavy items.

I think Jimbobbillyray has the right idea.  I have a similar problem getting heavy items into the loft of my shed.  I bought a block and tackle on eBay that will lift 2,500 lbs for about $18.  I put an eye bolt under the roof overhang and I'm set.  Unload the truck with the block and tackle and move the item after with your boom pole.

• grnspot110, jimbobbillyray, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 09:08 AM

I have a 5 part tackle system which will lift over a 1000 pounds.  I need something a little more mobile than lifting in one spot.

A couple hundred pounds would probably work.  MiCarl do happen to have any pictures of your boom pole for your Speedex?

I like the John Deere one but I am not sure how I would do the hydraulics on the PK. I weld OK and have welders and torches. So I can build basic things.

• grnspot110, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,391 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 09:25 AM

Some good ideas..I have considered one of these for truck as they are only $100 or so

3586B_mr.jpg

• grnspot110, KennyP, jimbobbillyray and 3 others have said thanks

#10 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 09:57 AM

What about one of these?

https://www.tractors...boom-pole?rfk=1

If I don't use the outer loop.  Do you think it will be too big?

• Jazz and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,391 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 10:21 AM

What about one of these?

https://www.tractors...boom-pole?rfk=1

If I don't use the outer loop.  Do you think it will be too big?

okay,,,that's slick. Now I can justify buying a 3 point hitch

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#12 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,150 Thanks
  • 2,643 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 10:46 AM

I have a 5 part tackle system which will lift over a 1000 pounds.  I need something a little more mobile than lifting in one spot.

A couple hundred pounds would probably work.  MiCarl do happen to have any pictures of your boom pole for your Speedex?

I like the John Deere one but I am not sure how I would do the hydraulics on the PK. I weld OK and have welders and torches. So I can build basic things.

If you have the 3-pt, just replace the cylinder with a top link turnbuckle:  HPIM2001 (Small).JPG

• Mark 149 J. and coxhaus have said thanks

#13 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 12:34 PM

If you have the 3-pt, just replace the cylinder with a top link turnbuckle:  attachicon.gifHPIM2001 (Small).JPG

I do like your idea.  I am just thinking buying the boom pole at TSC would be cheaper than buying the hitch and parts to build your idea.

The TSC boom pole would have more reach but can be a double edge sword as you need to keep stuff close in to the tractor since it is small.  It also looks like it has the limited CAT 1 hitch which means if I switch over to CAT 0 pins and use the lower top hook up it should fit my tractor.  But my TSC does not have one in stock so I can not measure it.

Edited by coxhaus, January 13, 2018 - 12:35 PM.

• grnspot110 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#14 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 12:38 PM

Hi here's one easy to fab.

http://gardentractor...-3pt-lift-boom/

• KennyP, Mark 149 J. and coxhaus have said thanks

#15 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,022 Thanks
  • 1,050 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 02:41 PM

MiCarl do happen to have any pictures of your boom pole for your Speedex?

No, I don't.  You don't want to copy mine anyhow.  It's something the previous owner made out of some pipe and angle iron.  Tractor was probably worth more without it.

I think the TSC boom pole is too wide, and rather heavy.  If I were going to make one I'd copy that design with lighter materials.  If you make the rise at the hitch tall enough you could probably get over the truck while still keeping the load close to the tractor.  Put a winch on it so you can lower the load after you're off the truck.

Now you've got me thinking how I could greatly improve mine...........

• coxhaus said thank you