• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ghall8548624 OFFLINE  

ghall8548624

• Member No: 4559
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 08:47 PM

i have a case 446 lawn tractor that i changed the front hydraulic pump because it was leaking now it does not go as fast as it did before in high gear in seem like it is in low gear when it in high gear can any one help

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 10:13 PM

I have a couple Case but have never encountered that issue, was the replacement pump new or used??
Oh, and welcome to GTTalk, glad to have you here, hope you enjoy yourself here.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 10:22 PM

Welcome to GTtalk , can't help you but some pretty sharp guys here that I'm sure will be able to , Al

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:28 AM

i have a case 446 lawn tractor that i changed the front hydraulic pump because it was leaking now it does not go as fast as it did before in high gear in seem like it is in low gear when it in high gear can any one help

More likely than not, you installed a pump that was substantially smaller in size than the correct OEM pump. Where did this pump that you now have in your tractor come from? And what criteria did you use to select it?

#5 ghall8548624 OFFLINE  

ghall8548624

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:05 PM

from a used part please its the 2nd pump that i had gottin the first one was the wrong one and the criteria was the guy on the phone said that it was the one that would work for it thank for the help

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:20 PM

It's either too small displacement, or worn out.

#7 ghall8548624 OFFLINE  

ghall8548624

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:26 PM

was does displament mean exely

#8 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 03:16 PM

The internal size of the pump.

So if the pump was .5 cu in displacement and the engine spun at 2RPM it would pump 1.0 cu in / Min

#9 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 04:25 PM

If you want to fix this problem, then let's start with the serial number of your 446.

Most likely, you had a double A style pump in your tractor ORIGINALLY with an internal displacement of about point 61 cubic inches. I don't know who supplied you with a used pump or what that pump was originally installed on but used pumps are always suspect. The Buyer (meaning YOU) has no idea how long that pump was used or whether it will pump anywhere close to its original specs or not. You hydraulic system needs a pump that will push out 8 1/2 gallons of oil every minute when the engine is running at wide open throttle. If a worn pump will produce 4 gallons per minute, then your top speed in either Hi or Lo Range will be ONE HALF what it was designed to be. Sellers do not have the means to test used pumps for output and pressure. All they know is that the tractor moved under its own power just before they dismantled it to sell off all the parts. ''

Based on what you have written, the pump that you now have in your tractor is either worn out or it is too small of a displacement. Either way, it has to go. If you are now tired of fooling around with used junk then I can give a link to a company that will sell you a brand new Parker Hannifin OEM style pump of the correct size for around $220.00 plus shipping.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Just wondering , did you get rid of your old pump ? You said it was leaking , if that was the only problem maybe you could get a seal kit but then again at $220 for a new pump it hardly pays to mess around with it .

#11 ghall8548624 OFFLINE  

ghall8548624

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:05 PM

well thank for what u have told me i think that i would like to try a new one for a change like i said this is the secant one that i had shipped to me so if i could get that link that would be great thank again

#12 ghall8548624 OFFLINE  

ghall8548624

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:08 PM

try to change it and chipped the casing when i was pressing that rod back in

#13 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 10:34 PM

well thank for what u have told me i think that i would like to try a new one for a change like i said this is the secant one that i had shipped to me so if i could get that link that would be great thank again

Progressive Hydraulics, Inc.

Click on "Hydraulics" , then click on "Pumps", then click on "Gear Pumps".

The pump you want is found in the first block on that page in the D-Series pumps. It is a Parker Hannifin D72AA2A pump. You will not find a better deal anywhere that this place. I have recommended this pump at least a dozen times and everyone has been happy with it. Depending on the year of your tractor (do you remember me asking you for your serial number?) you may have to mess around a bit with the inlet side fittings but that's no big deal. Try calling an Eastman/Ingersoll dealer for this pump and the price will be double or more.

Leaking pumps are not worth your time and effort to try and repair. Front seals leak because the shaft and bearing area are worn and putting a new seal in won't cure that problem. Yes, it will stop leaking but only for a short time until the new seal wears out and starts to leak once more. Of course, if you love pulling out your engine once a year, that could be a fun ritual for you annually.

#14 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 10:51 PM

Really ought to see what ghall's talking about. First he said "front" pump and now pressing a rod in?
Is this what your working on? Can you get some pics for us?

1.jpg