18 replies to this topic

#16 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 2,837 Thanks
  • 1,582 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 11:14 AM

Nice looking tractor!  Glad you're doing a front spindle upgrade.  That is a must!  Owning a FEL is a back and time saver!  It's nice when you can finish a job in minutes and not hours.  

When you get the time, I would love to see more close-up pictures of the whole set-up.

#17 rlnguy OFFLINE  

rlnguy
  • Member No: 86678
  • 32 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 08:12 PM

thanks for the kind words.

I have 1" spindles, so, my current plan is to try to add thrust bearings/washers, and ballast, to improve the steering.

I have replaced a few worn parts on the hydro linkage, so it actually stops, in neutral.

I've cleaned up some rust on brake linkages, and have the brakes ready for final adjusting.

In my mind, I am designing (hopefully) levers to allow hand operation of brakes and clutch, should they be needed.

I just picked up a set of lug tires, filled and on rims, to add ballast and hopefully improve traction. They should be here in a few weeks-having a friend bring them on his next visit.

The weather has been cold, mostly miserable, so I have had limited time to work on it.

When I do get time, I try to do as much as I can, every time I get down on the floor-getting up and down to wheelchair isn't as easy as it used to be.

I'll keep updating, as things progress.

It's great having such a supportive group, to tap for information.

• lyall, KennyP, hdg4400 and 2 others have said thanks

#18 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

My projects take longer so I enjoy them more...

• Member No: 5472
  • 3,578 Thanks
  • 4,552 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 10:24 PM

This will also offer some additions to reduce steering effort

http://www.*****************/forums/vintage-lawn-garden-tractors/15203-120-steering-tweeks.html

• KennyP said thank you

#19 rlnguy OFFLINE  

rlnguy
  • Member No: 86678
  • 32 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 10:44 PM

Thanks, I thought I had read just about everything about improving steering, but I missed that one.

I've saved it for reference, when I get to the front end.