• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 4tom ONLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 155 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 07:54 AM

How is your fuel line to the pump. This does not sound like your issue but I once bought a used Jeep that idled fine. When I drove it home, it had no power. Turned out there was a VERY small leak at the connection to the tank. It didn't leak, but apparently under vacuum (higher revs) it sucked air in with the gas. Another tank from the junkyard solved the problem. This doesn't sound like your problem, but who knows. Good luck.

#17 rover OFFLINE  

rover
  • Member No: 89272
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 09:17 AM

4tom

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed new gas lines as a cheap fix. the lines were original from 2006.

It made no difference.  I'm now waiting on delivery of  a used working carb to replace my carb.

Hopefully that solves the problem.

#18 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,902 Thanks
  • 1,387 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 12:29 PM

Is this a new acquisition or is it a machine you have used for some time.   Sometimes the back story makes a huge difference. Don

#19 rover OFFLINE  

rover
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 07:12 PM

secondtry -bought this machine new in spring of 2006. Always well maintained.

#20 rover OFFLINE  

rover
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 18, 2018 - 05:57 PM

Well, I think I found the problem.  It wasn't the gas lines, pulse pump or carb.  My original carb rebuilt and used carb both ran the engine the same way.  Started with choke closed, throttle 1/2 way engine starts and 5 seconds later shuts down.  For the heck of it, I pulled the pto switch and jump the ignition circuit to see if that fixed the problem.  Nope,  checked operation of the governor and linkage, all ok.  So nothing I could think would fix the problem,  And then bingo, in August, I had replaced the ignition switch because the key hole was getting sloppy after 11 years of use.  I usually save the parts I repair, and after swapping ignition modules, the engine stayed running.  My guess is that the ignition switch was faulting out between start and run. 

With run mode not working,  start mode would let gas in until ignition module defaulted to off mode, triggering the carb solenoid  shut the fuel off.  That's what gave the engine a few seconds of running before shutting down.  And that is what the engine sounded like every time I started it.  It sounded like it was being shut down.  Ah, the fun we have repairing motors.

I haven't put everything together yet, but the engine ran for 30 seconds and didn't shut down.  Tomorrow I'll know for sure.

Man, a faulty new ignition switch.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,394 Thanks
  • 45,939 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 07:35 AM

Glad you got it figured out!

#22 rover OFFLINE  

rover
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 10:24 AM

KennyP

Thanks

Engine runs great!

I checked all my wire runs too, just to make sure I wasn't shorting out some where. They all tested good.

Thanks everyone for the repair tips.

• KennyP said thank you