• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:14 AM

Doug, good luck on the deck. Hope you find another donor soon.

#17 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:47 AM

doug.

If you are intending to use a Delco Start/Gen unit to power the transmission of the tractor, I think that you are in trouble. Start/Gen units do have two field coils but one is for the starter and the other is for the generator. When used as a starter motor, the current draw is substantially higher than the 15 amps max these units can produce as a generator. In my opinion, you will quickly overheat this unit and cook the brush assembly to the point of failure. Talk to anyone in your area that has been in the auto/elec rebuilding business for a long time so that they are familiar with these units and hear what they have to say. Conversation is a lot cheaper than experimentation.

The little sears has a S/G in it already, it draws 45 to 60 amps when in use run at 24volts, I know I'm pushing it here but for short spurts it's OK. The field terminal on it when grounded reduces the amps and speed, that's what I use for low speed on it. 45 min. non stop use it's too hot to hold your hand on. At the time when I put this together it was all I had for a motor for it, sometimes you have to use what you got but yes a better motor would be better.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 05:47 AM

IF you find the right person who really knows his stuff, he might be able to build this into a better unit to suit your needs. Hard to find these people any more, but there used to be some around. I know I had one that an older gentleman was able to get a bit more out of one of these. Cost wasn't much more than a normal rebuild/rewind.

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:01 AM

Doug I applaud you for trying different things. I like seeing some of the different projects you guys come up with. I would go for a mid mount or front mount. The tow behind or rear mount are more for open areas. When we had the John Deere 3120 CUT we had a 5' rear 3pt finish mower and that was all we had to mow 5 acres and around the house. It was great for the field but around the house it was a pain.

#20 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Doug I applaud you for trying different things. I like seeing some of the different projects you guys come up with. I would go for a mid mount or front mount. The tow behind or rear mount are more for open areas. When we had the John Deere 3120 CUT we had a 5' rear 3pt finish mower and that was all we had to mow 5 acres and around the house. It was great for the field but around the house it was a pain.

I'm not sure if you guys noticed yet but I like electric stuff especially vehicles.

#21 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:45 PM

I'm not sure if you guys noticed yet but I like electric stuff especially vehicles.

Doug
Go for it you have the knowledge. Teach us. Regards....ducky

#22 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Best of luck Doug! I can't wait to see what you come up with. I generally talk myself out of stuff like this before it ever happens LOL.

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Don't worry Doug, I have the same ailment LOL.

#24 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:11 PM

This is what I found inside the cordless mower. Looks like this one died because the mower mount broke where the bolts attach to the housing.
ET2 mower 004.jpg

The motor blade assembly.
ET2 mower 006.jpg
The motor is a permanent magnet type that is fan cooled.

Electronics and wiring.
ET2 mower 008.jpg
Looks like they use a 1ooamp relay with built in fuse, and a circuit board for a battery charge level or fuel gauge. Heavy wires are only 12gauge.

This I want to try to adapt to the electric sears so I know how much battery charge I have.
ET2 mower 010.jpg

Clearances
ET2 mower 002.jpg
Motor is 5" above the deck.
7 1/2" from blade to top, total.
ET2 has 12 1/2" from ground to foot boards, sears has about the same.
Last pic is with cordless mower set at 2 1/2" cutting height, shows how much clearance there is, 2 1/2" isn't very much.

Attached Thumbnails

• ET2 mower 001.jpg
  • ET2 mower 005.jpg
  • ET2 mower 007.jpg
  • ET2 mower 009.jpg
  • ET2 mower 003.jpg
  • ET2 mower 011.jpg

#25 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:20 PM

Doug
Go for it you have the knowledge. Teach us. Regards....ducky

Heck I'm learning as I go.

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Looks like it fits Doug, I think that is going to work very well. Mabey you can run across enough of those electric mowers to send me a couple mower/spindle/blade assemblies so I can adapt them to fit my Springfield mower deck. Was just looking at mine today and I don't know if my first idea is feasible, and those electric mowers are not popular here, but look like just the ticket.

#27 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Looks like it fits Doug, I think that is going to work very well. Mabey you can run across enough of those electric mowers to send me a couple mower/spindle/blade assemblies so I can adapt them to fit my Springfield mower deck. Was just looking at mine today and I don't know if my first idea is feasible, and those electric mowers are not popular here, but look like just the ticket.

I found mine by doing a KIJIJI search for "CORDLESS MOWERS' for the province of Ont., about 39 showed up from $10. to $300.

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:32 PM

I found mine by doing a KIJIJI search for "CORDLESS MOWERS' for the province of Ont., about 39 showed up from $10. to $300.

I don't look on kijiji but the craigslist here in my area is lucky to se 6 ads in Farm and Garden a day lol.

#29 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Bit of a fit issue?

This is the fun stuff. So, what I would do at this point is go out and get bigger wheels to gain the height.
The cost of the tires has nothing to do with the original intent of building something really neat, for as little
as possible. I'm not sure where I got that sort of logic from, but I do have a wife and two daughters.

#30 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 09:20 PM

Did someone say.....................................................................................................................ELECTRIC.......................................electric 001.jpg got to do a quickie at work so i can buy more STUFF to add to my CRAP .ill be back about 9:30 pacific time with some specs and personal knowledge ..

Attached Thumbnails

• electric 002.jpg

• ducky said thank you