DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I have an idea and thought I would bounce it off you guys to see what you think.
What I want to do is to make an electric mower for 1 of my electric tractors.
I thought I would buy 2 or 3 used cordless mowers and mount the motors from them on to a deck where the spindles go. Get it wired up, use the tractors batteries, mount the deck to the tractor, or pull it as a trailer.
What do you think???

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Doug, I want to do similar for the Springfield electric but I was thinking about just using another scooter motor, but your idea sounds good too. I was just going to mount one big motor in the middle with a double pulley. But I too plan to just run it off the tractor's batteries cause I bought way bigger than I really needed LOL.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure you'll make it work.
That be nice to have. So quiet, you could be out there on Sunday morning, and have the lawn cut
in time to go out and enjoy the rest of the day.

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 10:00 PM

Cool idea, but I would be concerned about the amount of torque you could get out of these electric motors....Any electric mower I have ever used got bogged down in taller grass.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 11:55 PM

Doug. It sounds pretty reasonable. I like how the elec trak is in front, but towing would make it easier I think.

#6 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 05:30 AM

Doug. It sounds pretty reasonable. I like how the elec trak is in front, but towing would make it easier I think.

Sorry Dave but I have to disagree.

Ingersoll offers a 3 point hitch (Cat O) 48" finishing mower that is driven hydraulically. Those who have used this mower say that it is fine for cutting large, wide open lawns but when it comes to trimming along flower beds that are not perfectly straight or around other objects such as trees, the mower is a liability and a pain in the neck ..........literally. I think that Doug would be wiser to pursue making a front-mounted deck like we have on our Elec-traks or......if he can find the clearance... a mid-mount deck.

Doug will be facing some challenges no matter which way he ends up going.

Blade tip speed will be important. So.... which brand of electric mower does he have in mind? What is the length of the blade on that mower? Will he be able to mount the three motors in a triangle that will allow blade overlap? Is the blade on the selected mowers being belt driven or direct-driven off the motor shaft? Is there any kind of protective clutch between the blade and the motor to protect the motor in case the blade is jammed? What voltage do these motors run on and how much current do they draw? Blade length will likely be an issue if these electric mowers use a single blade. I think that Dave would want a deck that is at least 44" in cut width. The mounting holes in the blades are often proprietary in design and that fact limits the number of available blade lengths. Motor RPM combined with blade length equals tip speed. The longer the blade, the higher the tip speed when using the same motor RPM. If the motors are 12 volt but Dave's tractor runs off of 36 volts, then he will have to put the motors in series or he is going to have battery issues. Dave will need to support the deck with caster wheels that are adjustable so that he can vary the cut-height. Dave will have to decide whether the deck is going to be "rear discharge" or "side discharge" and then baffle the deck accordingly. Rear discharge allows you the ability to do trim work on either side of the tractor but a lawn sweeper may be needed to eliminate that "windrow" look you get when cutting hay.

As I see it, a mid-mount mower using three motors is out of the question because there is insufficient clearance under the tractor. Another, but rather bizarre arrangement, would be to leave the motors on the original decks and find a way to "gang" the three of them together in an over-lapping pattern. This might be done with two decks out front, side by side but with a gap between them and the third deck trailing behind the tractor to cut the strip of lawn the front decks missed. The spacing would be determined by the turning radius of the tractor so that nothing was left uncut during a hard turn to either left or right. Electric actuators could lift the decks up for transport. Cutting height might be set using the adjustment method on the original decks.
  • michael.kitko said thank you

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:33 PM

hydrive all valid points, some I already thought of and some I didn't. I don't want to make this any more complicated than it is.
Picked up 1, 24 volt cordless mower today, these are popular around my area and I should be able to get 1 or 2 more. This one is a 20" cut so I could use 2 of them on a 38" deck, going to use what I can find as apposed to making my own deck. Plan on a full floating deck so I can mount underneath ??? if space permits, or just pull behind.
This mower had a 24volt, 20 amp/hr battery pack, my Sears electric lawn tractor has a 24volt, 130 amp.hr battery pack.
The cordless mower I picked up even has a coffee cup holder.

This is the tractor that I'm planning on using for this project > http://gardentractor...n-electric-542/

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:13 PM

I think I remember seeing a 2 blade deck that was was made kind of off-set so it didn't need to be timed , maybe one like that would work for you , Al

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:16 PM

I think I remember seeing a 2 blade deck that was was made kind of off-set so it didn't need to be timed , maybe one like that would work for you , Al

That's exactly what I was thinking of.
Pictures of the cordless I picked up today.
elect mower 2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• elect mower 3.jpg
  • elect mower 1.jpg

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Looks good Doug, hope it works out well for you.

#11 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Looks good Doug, hope it works out well for you.

If you don't try, you don't know, and if it doesn't work, you try something else.

Edited by DH1, July 03, 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:31 PM

What kind of run time are you shooting for?
Looking forward to seeing this project progress.

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:48 PM

What kind of run time are you shooting for?
Looking forward to seeing this project progress.

Be nice to get 1hr minimum???

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:57 PM

Be nice to get 1hr minimum???

For the average house/suburbia lawn, that should be plenty right?

#15 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:08 AM

doug.

If you are intending to use a Delco Start/Gen unit to power the transmission of the tractor, I think that you are in trouble. Start/Gen units do have two field coils but one is for the starter and the other is for the generator. When used as a starter motor, the current draw is substantially higher than the 15 amps max these units can produce as a generator. In my opinion, you will quickly overheat this unit and cook the brush assembly to the point of failure. Talk to anyone in your area that has been in the auto/elec rebuilding business for a long time so that they are familiar with these units and hear what they have to say. Conversation is a lot cheaper than experimentation.