37 replies to this topic

#31 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,598 Thanks
  • 5,312 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:54 PM

I have been noodling the idea of chains for the front just to help it track better.
  • KennyP said thank you

#32 EricR OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9495
  • 709 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:58 PM

Are those held on with zip ties? Don

No just the ends as I was jut getting started running this set...
  • KennyP and secondtry have said thanks

#33 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 78477
  • 1,525 Thanks
  • 1,424 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 03:05 PM

I have been noodling the idea of chains for the front just to help it track better.

I had a racing mower, it would just be understeering all the time in the snow. I put a bicycle chain around one of the front tires.

It fishtailed after that.

I recommend the chains on at least one of the front tires
  • shorty said thank you

#34 TheMarmot OFFLINE  

• Member No: 89259
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 10:00 AM

Found me some lugs for a steal! Pair delivered for $120! Currently waiting at Walmart for the morons to take one back off and flip it around.... After I told them they were directional!
  • KennyP said thank you

#35 secondtry OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83632
  • 2,030 Thanks
  • 1,456 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 12:16 PM

I never saw lug tires at Wallmart around here.   Don

#36 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,721 Thanks
  • 1,257 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 08:02 AM

I do turfs and 2 link chains.....plenty of traction for me. 

#37 4tom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 73635
  • 157 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 06:27 AM

Walmart has a lot of stuff online that's not in the store. Mine doesn't carry tires, but I bought them online with free shipping.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#38 MacWorld ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1195
  • 52 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 11:56 AM

If it may help anyone, here in Quebec during winter we can easily have 40cm (15") of snow in one storm. This usually happens 2 or 3 times in each winter. In those conditions the snow pushed from the street by the plow can get pretty high and pretty dense, it can be quite a challenge to remove with small tractors.

Over time I tried a lof of setup from nothing at all, only a cast iron 5cyl block as counterweight, the block with other heavy stuff strapped to it, the block + 2 link chains (without spikes) and I finally built a counterweight box in which I can put as heavy as I want. You can see this counterweight in my gallery and currently it's 3/4 full of concrete blocks.

I always run the chains and the counterweight on both my JD 214 and MF 1655. In this setup 95% of the time I have no problems at all moving and it's not damaging my asphalt as I would have thought, in fact it's making marks because of the paint the previous owner put on but no more. Oh by the way it's the kind of driveway that is really smooth, it's really prone to slipping. On the other hand it's near horizontal (no slopes).

If there are ice spots bellow the snow I sometimes get stuck if I am pushing a lot of snow or when the snow is too thick for the 1 stage snowthrower of the 214. Usually in those situation there is only one wheel turning, I simply brake the slipping wheel by pushing on it's side with my hand (in a thick glove) and I get back to moving.

So far I have not found any wheel weights for my tractors and I don't want to fill my tires as they are used on soft lawn for mowing.

By the way, does someone know where I can buy about 36" of flat link chains same size as the chains for JD garden tractors? The tires of my 1655 are a bit too big for the chains I bought (at JD) which leaves a gap between 2 rows of chains and it makes for a bumpy ride and the wheels are slipping a bit when this gap is on the ground. Is there a specific name for this kind of chains?