• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 658 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 03:49 PM

We get lots of snow here.  I have found that turf tires with weight gives me the best traction on snow on my 2 and 4 wheel drive tractors.  My driveway is not asphalt but I keep reading on how chains will chew it up.  I think they make a rubber(?) chain that helps?  IMHO

• John Arsenault said thank you

#17 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 5,798 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 09:21 AM

So the verdict is...with the 2.5" or wet snow we have at the moment(started as ice today), she plowed great downhill! And then wouldn't come back up..... even with plow up. Finally got back to the garage, and salted the crap out of my hill. I'll have to take a pic tomorrow in the light....But I will be ordering chains tonight! Probably get some Ags in the spring, as chains on the turfs will be plenty for winter.

I am in the same boat, my drive in pic doesn't look steep, but with some snow and ice, I have to back up it, ags seems to grab going backwards, also a weight distribution   i.e. my fat butt over the wheels :D

sears snow.jpg

• propane1 said thank you

#18 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 711 Thanks
  • 807 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 10:12 AM

My GT snow removal experience is,,,,, asphalt and ags work well, neighbor has a pretty steep drive and I can climb that without trouble using a blade (up to 8") or blower (up to 24").  Non asphalt, same machine same storms got to have chains or your not going any where.

My non GT experience involving ATV's or compact tractors, 4wd and a locked diff solves just about all the GT issues with the flip of a lever or switch.

#19 TheMarmot OFFLINE  

TheMarmot
  • Member No: 89259
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 18, 2018 - 02:56 PM

Chains came last night, I'll get them on tonight. Pics of the drive and my extra weight that I rigged up attached....I also identified the next weak link on this tractor: v-belt drive to the hydro pump. Belt was slipping like a son of a gun, so hopefully a new belt clears that issue up. I think it was an AutoZone special on before, and I got an actual drive belt for it. Now if only we get some more snow.....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180113_093410059.jpg
  • IMG_20180113_112604121_HDR.jpg

#20 TheMarmot OFFLINE  

TheMarmot
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 12:46 PM

I discovered after replacing the drive belt that I was still not in the clear. Discovered the cooling fan for the hydro had been destroyed, and that, or age, cooked the fluid. Had to order the filter for it, but luckily a fluid change got be going strong again. Then had to throw a tube in one of the front tires....we didn't get the 4" I was hoping for last night, just some ice. But I'm ready for it finally! Chains took me right up the other day with 1/2" or so of snow over ice.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180126_184936745.jpg

Edited by TheMarmot, February 07, 2018 - 12:46 PM.

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 5,798 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 12:49 PM

I discovered after replacing the drive belt that I was still not in the clear. Discovered the cooling fan for the hydro had been destroyed, and that, or age, cooked the fluid. Had to order the filter for it, but luckily a fluid change got be going strong again. Then had to throw a tube in one of the front tires....we didn't get the 4" I was hoping for last night, just some ice. But I'm ready for it finally! Chains took me right up the other day with 1/2" or so of snow over ice.

I got your snow you wanted, I am farther north west

• secondtry said thank you

#22 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 12:59 PM

Very effective looking chains. I have always resorted to building my own out of old automotive chains but those look interesting enough to almost convince me to spend money. Can you post more information, price, source, brand name.   thanks Don

#23 TheMarmot OFFLINE  

TheMarmot
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 01:53 PM

http://www.tirechain...3x10.50x12.html

Those are my size; I got the studded. These are actually ATV style. I have to say they installed MUCH MUCH easier than the ladder style on my White.

• secondtry said thank you

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,864 Thanks
  • 47,088 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 03:19 PM

They're right proud of those!

#25 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,440 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 10:50 PM

well so far...windshield washer- loaded turfs with chains on the plow tractor, 

unloaded but bolt-on weighted Carlisle ags, that have no chains,  with 11 scrap brake rotors on the toolbar hanging from the sleeve hitch out back on the snow blower tractor 

+ my 225 lb in the seat of which ever tractor I have out at the moment, seems like a tie game so far this winter regarding traction..... ......

#26 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 11:45 PM

Looking down the page i see v bar two link chains for a little less money.  I wonder what would happen if you tied two identical tractors together hitch to hitch with the different chains installed and had a tug o war. Don

• dodge trucker and propane1 have said thanks

#27 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 5,174 Thanks
  • 2,254 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:40 AM

Looking down the page i see v bar two link chains for a little less money.  I wonder what would happen if you tied two identical tractors together hitch to hitch with the different chains installed and had a tug o war. Don

You would end up on    Funniest Home Videos !   :D     Rick

• propane1 and secondtry have said thanks

#28 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,440 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 06:05 PM

well I guess I get a chance tomorrow to try and prove which is best among my machines again.... they are talking about us doubling our season-to-date total just in the next 30 hours or so.... I HOPE NOT!!!!   I'm tired of this white crap already.... cmon spring, I'd MUCH  rather be mowin grass than blowin snow.....

#29 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • Member No: 9495
  • 716 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 08:16 PM

I got a set of the fancy chains,and can tell you they are the best set I will ever buy!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161220_195735.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#30 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:42 PM

I got a set of the fancy chains,and can tell you they are the best set I will ever buy!!!

Are those held on with zip ties? Don

• KennyP said thank you