• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 TheMarmot OFFLINE  

TheMarmot
  • Member No: 89259
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 12:14 PM

Hi all, new to site. Been getting into larger tractors a bit since I bought my 5 acre spread, so figures it's time to join up as I know I will have questions...First being: plowing traction.

I don't want a debate over plowing vs blowing, I have a new-to-me Crapsman garden tractor 20.5hp hydro, which for the free price tag, came with dozer blade, wheel weights, chains*, and a sleeve hitch. (as a side note, I also have a self-propelled blower, which is currently not running, different subject). My driveway is paved asphalt, steep downhill, right onto a 55mph state highway. I lucked out last year when I discovered that the little bit of snow we had gotten turned the drive into a bobsled track, and there happened to be no traffic when I slid across both lanes. Needless to say, I have been diligent on salting it since then. That being said; we have yet to receive any significant amount of snow. When that comes, I will have to plow/blow before salting.

Back to the tractor. I was happy to see it came with chains, but the * is for the fact that they are shredded. Guy must have been doing donuts in them...So I am at the point of buying new chains, or going with lug tires. I run chains on my White 2055 w/ turf tires(because they DO NOT MAKE TIRES FOR IT), and they do well, good in snow(when the damn thing starts.... another topic). I run lugs on my Crapsman mower, and they work great for everything I've tried them on. Have NOT tried snow with them, as all that thing is good for is mowing.

My main question is, this new tractor is going to be my "work" tractor, plowing(snow and moldboard), hauling, etc. I want good summer traction, and also winter. Short term if I get new chains for the turf tires, I know that will work ok in snow, and well enough during summer, I just hate to leave them on all year. If I go with lug tires, I want to make sure I can add chains if I find out the tires themselves aren't enough traction.

Thoughts?

• Jazz said thank you

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 9,442 Thanks
  • 4,383 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 02:52 PM

Lug tires with two link chains, leave chains some what loose, hang some wight on rear of tractor, wheel wights, load tires with washer fluid, or some thing that wont freeze and run rear tire at 6 to 8 psi tire pressure. Use 2 ply tires. Just what I would do. 

Noel

• KennyP, boyscout862, Bill 76 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,206 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 04:35 PM

I think you're going to need chains for snow.  I'd try and plow across the slope too.

I suspect your tractor has pretty much turf tires on it.  If so, damp grass is almost as bad as snow.  I think you're going to want R1 (lug) tires for your general use.

So I agree with Noel.

Edited by MiCarl, January 08, 2018 - 04:36 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,550 Thanks
  • 9,427 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 05:13 PM

Welcome to GTT. I find that turf tires with chains on then work best on packed snow. When the snow gets deep you have to plan your plowing so that you don't get stuck. You will probably have to plow down hill and back up the hill to do the next pass. With gravity helping, traction may not be any problem. I usually pick up old auto tire chains and cut them down to fit my GTs. Its alot cheaper that way. Good Luck, Rick

#5 TheMarmot OFFLINE  

TheMarmot
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 10:25 AM

Lug tires with two link chains, leave chains some what loose, hang some wight on rear of tractor, wheel wights, load tires with washer fluid, or some thing that wont freeze and run rear tire at 6 to 8 psi tire pressure. Use 2 ply tires. Just what I would do. 

Noel

Any experience with the diamond style? See link. I doubt I will have much finding used auto chains here in the Midwest; don't think I've ever seen a car with them on, so I will be buying something new. http://www.tirechain...product234.html

And I for sure want the lug tires for general use, but didn't want to buy those, and find out I wasn't able to use with chains. We are supposed to get some snow this weekend, so I might get to try it out with just the weights.

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 9,442 Thanks
  • 4,383 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 11:17 AM

No, have not had any experience with that type of chain, but sure would like to. They look great. Always chain on the ground digging and would make for smooth ride. Excellent looking pattern. They would work great on any tire, I would think. I would also think they would be good for stopping the tractor. Low tire pressure will keep more tire and chain in contact with the ground.

Noel.

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 5,803 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 03:26 PM

I'm in Cincy area too so I understand the weather patterns.

I run ags on my Sears Suburban all year round, this is my mowing tractor, my plowing tractor ( garden), my winter plowing tractor and also I have a dump bucket for the front. I don't put the chains on very often unless we get a good snow, I think 2014 was last time I had them on just because we've been lucky with snow fall. Once I put the chains on, they stay until mowing deck goes back.

I like my ags, but i wonder if I might like a pair of All trail type tires on the back. I won't run turfs anymore for grass cutting, with my steep hills, the turfs will spin and they do more damage than the ags do.

I have a pics with chains on my ags, have to try to find it.

20170420_193438.jpg

• KennyP, propane1 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,206 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 05:29 PM

I'm from Northeastern Ohio, where we're used to snow.  I went to school at U.C.

Every time there was a half inch of snow we'd go out and do donuts around all the locals that were "stuck".  Good times :D

• dodge trucker said thank you

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,611 Thanks
  • 1,638 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 05:48 PM

Noel

I think you're going to need chains for snow.  I'd try and plow across the slope too.

I suspect your tractor has pretty much turf tires on it.  If so, damp grass is almost as bad as snow.  I think you're going to want R1 (lug) tires for your general use.

So I agree with Noel.

:iagree: with these guys.  Dads 318 JD in my cellar has had the same set of 2 link chains on it with Good Year ags since it was new in 87.  Has worked very well all it's life with no problems.  That's the route I would go.

• KennyP, propane1 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#10 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,960 Thanks
  • 3,017 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 07:05 PM

Any experience with the diamond style? See link. I doubt I will have much finding used auto chains here in the Midwest; don't think I've ever seen a car with them on, so I will be buying something new. http://www.tirechain...product234.html

And I for sure want the lug tires for general use, but didn't want to buy those, and find out I wasn't able to use with chains. We are supposed to get some snow this weekend, so I might get to try it out with just the weights.

I had a set of V-bar chains for an old 1984 Nissan pickup I used to own.  There weren't many opportunities to use them down here in the south, but we have had a few years out of the last 25 or so that had significant/severe snow and ice, which we mostly aren't prepared to deal with.  The year I'm thinking of, we had several snow/ice storms that preceded a cold wave similar to the one that has just lifted, with morning temps in the single digits and daylight temps in the 20s.  The parking lots were hard packed snow and Ice that just hung around for a week.  I had those chains on and could roam around the apartment community where I was employed at will, hauling sand and ice melt for the sidewalks up and down hills and around to prevent residents from slipping on the sidewalks.

I loved having those chains, and seeing the little craters where the V-bar pocked into the ice.

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 5,803 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 07:40 AM

Every time there was a half inch of snow we'd go out and do donuts around all the locals that were "stuck".  Good times :D

Yea, you should live here all the time.... idiot drivers when they see a flake of snow.

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 5,803 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 07:56 AM

Sears chains.jpg

#13 TheMarmot OFFLINE  

TheMarmot
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 09:35 PM

So the verdict is...with the 2.5" or wet snow we have at the moment(started as ice today), she plowed great downhill! And then wouldn't come back up..... even with plow up. Finally got back to the garage, and salted the crap out of my hill. I'll have to take a pic tomorrow in the light....But I will be ordering chains tonight! Probably get some Ags in the spring, as chains on the turfs will be plenty for winter.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,739 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 09:44 PM

S5001734.JPG

My driveway is not sloped but I have to have the chains on the Ags or it spins on the ice .

• KennyP, shorty, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,833 Thanks
  • 5,414 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 11:16 PM

I like how the chains break up the packed snow on the gravel drive. But spinning on the concrete walks makes the other half grumble.
  • KennyP said thank you