wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 06:16 PM

Ok, for those that know, and those that don't know, last week I bought a JD210 off of Rocking416. I messed with it today and found the rolling issue, brakes were stuck on. I found it was the Brake Only shaft that was frozen solid, so after removing the linkage between the pedal and brake rockshaft, problem solved forever lol. I found that the PTO clutch works fine, and the trans does shift (not sure function, assuming it works). But I do have a question for the JD experts. When I had the fender pan on the tractor and stepped on the Clutch I heard a "bang", and after farther investigation found it was the Clutch idler pulley hitting the bottom of the pan. Well, It seems it will go up an inch and a half above the frame, so why? And when it is in its relaxed position the pedal is at a 90 degree angle (straight up), should that be right? Also, I will have to shorten the brake linkage because it never engauges the brakes (2 inches too long it seems). What am I missing in the picture?? That clutch idler pulley is huge, looks almost as big as the transaxle pulley!! Help me experts!!

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, July 02, 2011 - 06:54 PM.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Just went out and messed with the thing more and looks like the variator's middle sheave is frozen, and the variator handles metal "notch catcher" is bent over some. So I guess it will be one speed fits all since I have no desire to mess with that since the bearings feel decent. I really need some expert opinions here.

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 07:22 PM

Not a JD expert but on the Massey Vari-Drive engine needs to be running for the vari-drive handle to move properly, if not the belts bind up and stop the handle from moving.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Not a JD expert but on the Massey Vari-Drive engine needs to be running for the vari-drive handle to move properly, if not the belts bind up and stop the handle from moving.

I am aware of that but you can move it with the clutch depressed as I was doing.

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 08:54 PM

It sounds like the secondary belt needs replacing as it puts tension on the idler. Also check the idler spring.

If you move the variator lever when it's not running it can and will bind up the variator and can act as though the transmission is locked up. The variator needs attention, it should be lube and adjusted. There are a lot of posts on wfm on variator issues, and to be honest, there are more experts than me on this.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 06:49 AM

About the brake linkage. Have you had a look at the parts diagrams on jdparts and the service manual which is in the manuals section of the forum. It sounds like something may be assembled wrong. The 200 series manual will give you info. on how to adjust the brakes and the variable drive.