Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

LTR 166 just stopped - Wiring issue, can you advise me?

ltr166 wiring schematic troble shooting common wiring faults common electrical faults

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jolyon39 OFFLINE  

jolyon39
  • Member No: 89251
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 04:48 PM

Hello,

Glad to find a forum on John Deere

I was mowing the other day and got off to move an object on the lawn, when I got back on it would not start at all.

I then jumped the starter motor direct and it worked

I then jumped the solenoid and the starter worked

I then bridged the seat cut out and that did nothing

I then bridged the cut out on the steering column lever that engages the blade drive and that did nothing

I then bridged the foot brake cut out and that did nothing

So now I want some advice................ I will go back today and make sure that the cut outs I bridged were bridged correctly but what am I missing?

The lawns are growing like crazy so I really need this help

regards

Jolyon

#2 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,478 Thanks
  • 729 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 06:36 PM

You should never bypass safety switches

Almost sounds like its the ignition switch

I would check it before I go further

How about the fuse or circuit breaker, have you checked or replaced them

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,816 Thanks
  • 3,451 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 07:06 PM

Mowing.... And here we are scratching and clawing to stay on the positive side of 0*F.... I'm jealous...I'm hatin winter more the older I get I would so much rather be mowin than blowin snow...
  • boyscout862 and DennyIN have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,552 Thanks
  • 9,427 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 08:13 PM

Welcome to GTT. What you should do is use a continutity tester or volt meter to check that 12v is getting to the solenoid. Then check that it comes out of the solenoid when the key is turned to start. Remember that most 12v electrical problems are caused by a bad ground or a frayed insulation. Good Luck, Rick

#5 tractorskipper ONLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 630 Thanks
  • 377 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 08:44 PM

Sometimes those safety switches work opposite of what you think so you can't jump them, also I believe that JD has several relays that work with the safety switches.

#6 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,158 Thanks
  • 1,531 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 09:16 PM

Welcome to the sight. John Deere is so tight with their publications that we have no manuals here for them. The John Deere corporate strategy seems to be to hold your machine hostage as long as possible.  Lack of a wiring diagram reduces you to component level trouble shooting.    Don

• Alc said thank you

#7 jolyon39 OFFLINE  

jolyon39
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 01:10 AM

You should never bypass safety switches

Almost sounds like its the ignition switch

I would check it before I go further

How about the fuse or circuit breaker, have you checked or replaced them

Thanks,

I just bypassed the safety switches to see if it was one of those at fault..... then I will know what to buy.

Can you give me a test sequence/ method for the ignition switch?

#8 jolyon39 OFFLINE  

jolyon39
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 01:12 AM

Mowing.... And here we are scratching and clawing to stay on the positive side of 0*F.... I'm jealous...I'm hatin winter more the older I get I would so much rather be mowin than blowin snow...

Had no rain for weeks so lawn mowing has slowed down.... Was getting short of drinking water and could not even top up the swimming pool (we catch rain water off the roof here, no town supply water where I live) but had a good storm last 3 days and the tanks plus pool filled up.

#9 jolyon39 OFFLINE  

jolyon39
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 01:17 AM

Sometimes those safety switches work opposite of what you think so you can't jump them, also I believe that JD has several relays that work with the safety switches.

Thanks for that..... yes i checked and found that they have to be engaged/depresed for the mower to start. Yes there is one relay I am eyeing up but all of NZ closes for Christmas and it might be another week before I can source one. Not buying off JD here because they rort you.

I wish they used different colour wiring for each line!!!

#10 jolyon39 OFFLINE  

jolyon39
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 01:18 AM

Anyone have a wiring diagram for this???

#11 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,158 Thanks
  • 1,531 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 02:33 AM

If the safety switches are required to be closed my guess would be that the switches are in series. I would believe when the switch is turned to start the terminal on the back of the switch would become energized the signal would then travel through the series of switches to the solenoid. I would first try to discover which terminal on the ignition switch is the start terminal. To do this you could use a continuity tester. Remove the start signal wire from the solenoid, connect a lead from the tester to that wire then find that signal at a safety switch Jumper the switch where you find the signal then go on to find the signal at the next switch. When you have found the signal at each safety switch and jumped them all you should be able to find the signal at the ignition switch. the terminal at the ignition switch where you find the signal should be the start terminal. If all of my assumptions are correct that terminal should be energized when the key is turned to start. If it is not check to see if the power is getting to the switch. If you have power to the switch but not out the switch must be bad if you don't have power to the switch find out why. I hope I have provided some useful information or at least promoted useful thought. Don   

• James Bosma said thank you

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,227 Thanks
  • 7,579 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 09:58 AM

Read back over your post . You said you jumped the solenoid the starter worked , did you have the key on and engine start ?