• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,482 Thanks
  • 4,041 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 06:54 PM

Doug, I lookin for info on original terms. Paint. Engine, not rebuild, tires, attachments. Stupid questions, but I’m not sure if I have one or not.
Thanks for your effort and time put into this featured tractor event.

Noel.
  • olcowhand and James Bosma have said thanks

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,419 Thanks
  • 1,164 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 01:33 PM

attachicon.gifS5001384.jpg

I guess it's time to try again with 'Dusty' (the Hoveroni) !

This is a 1963 David Bradley Model 36  -Elite Lawn Tractor

When I started into this Hobby back in 2015 it was the David Bradley Suburbans that got my attention . I would run searches on the internet looking for good machines at good prices and could find very few out there. 

One day an ad popped up for this strange machine with the DB name?

attachicon.gif00d0d_gCA9hlP0aO4_600x450.jpgattachicon.gif00q0q_b9xuomTFjG9_600x450.jpgattachicon.gif00T0T_8IOxKt3KVNz_600x450.jpg

It appealed to my love for the Odd things  , but was pretty far away and I knew nothing about it. 

I could find little information on the internet either. 

I just could not get it out of my head. 

So after 5 weeks I called the guy in upstate NY and made a deal , It would cost more to get it shipped to me than I would pay for the machine . But I just had to have it. 

It arrived and was pretty 'Dusty' 

attachicon.gif2016-02-24 003.JPGattachicon.gif036.JPGattachicon.gif035.JPG

I cleaned it up , and asessed what needed to be done .

The spark was weak and intermittent , I could see a scar on the flywheel like a piece of metal had jammed it . So I found a replacement flywheel/ coil pr. And that fixed the engine . 

attachicon.gif001 (3).JPG attachicon.gif002 (3).JPG

I also had to fix 1 of the drive chains and the mower deck though in good condition, was rusting badly , so I cleaned it and painted it for preservation. The main drive belt still has David Bradley embossed into it and is in great condition. My thoughts are that this machine hit something and never ran again. It was stored for many years inside some garage and has little to no wear on the moving parts.

This is a working machine now that I use to mow my yard ! Except for the paint on the deck and the flywheel it is Original and a survivor !

attachicon.gifS5001386.jpg

attachicon.gifM36.jpgattachicon.gif004 (3).JPG

I really get a lot of enjoyment from this machine , I have towed an aerator with it and have a matching trailer .

My Brother says it looks like a Zamboni and a Hovercraft mated to produce this .

Thus the 'Hoveroni' is what we laughingly call it  :D

Always keep trying with out contestants this is no fun. I don't care if I win its fun just to enter.....lol

• olcowhand, DougT, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,419 Thanks
  • 1,164 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 09:12 AM

So far I am voting on a Sears on this one.....lol

• olcowhand and MGP59DB have said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,856 Thanks
  • 4,956 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 03:12 PM

Doug, I lookin for info on original terms. Paint. Engine, not rebuild, tires, attachments. Stupid questions, but I’m not sure if I have one or not.
Thanks for your effort and time put into this featured tractor event.

Noel.

I suppose what constitutes original is a good question and one we've never had to address before. We all realize that parts wear out and need replaced. I'd think as long as the parts were replaced with the right parts, it would still be original. I'd say original paint is a must but minor touch-ups should be allowed. If the engine was replaced, it should be with the same make and horsepower  Since we are nominating a tractor and not an implement, they shouldn't count but maybe get extra consideration for things that were sold new as a package and are still together. I hate to be too picky since getting nominations are like pulling teeth some months.

We've always had a rule that the tractor needed to be operable but apparently it never got written into the rules. We changed the rules this time to reflect that.

• olcowhand, DH1, B10Dave and 6 others have said thanks

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,482 Thanks
  • 4,041 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 11:05 AM

That’s Doug. I come up with some thing.

Noel
  • dropped82 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,856 Thanks
  • 4,956 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 12:06 PM

I suppose what constitutes original is a good question and one we've never had to address before. We all realize that parts wear out and need replaced. I'd think as long as the parts were replaced with the right parts, it would still be original. I'd say original paint is a must but minor touch-ups should be allowed. If the engine was replaced, it should be with the same make and horsepower  Since we are nominating a tractor and not an implement, they shouldn't count but maybe get extra consideration for things that were sold new as a package and are still together. I hate to be too picky since getting nominations are like pulling teeth some months.

We've always had a rule that the tractor needed to be operable but apparently it never got written into the rules. We changed the rules this time to reflect that.

Another thing I would like to throw out for original is that it doesn't have to be a pristine example. Rusty/beat original would still qualify for a survivor if it was still operable and doing what it was meant to do.

• KennyP, dropped82, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,722 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 05:44 PM

1oldbuzz; nice to see something different and looks a good quality machine.
  • jd.rasentrac and 1oldbuzz have said thanks