• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • Member No: 89202
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 09:11 AM

Hey folks, wondering if some of you gilson wards gurus can help me out. I have a 76ish gilson gear 16, and a 1976 montgomery ward 16. I found a tiller from an early seventies s series. Im going to purchase it either way, but what I'm wondering is if the tiller attachment will fit with no modifications. From what ive seen so far in pics, the s series and the later ones like I have both look like the chassis and drivetrain are the same.

#2 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 255 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 07:18 PM

As far as I know, the tiller assembly is basically the same.  The difference lies in the PTO shaft for the tiller, I believe the later tractors use a longer PTO shaft than the early tractors.

#3 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 07:53 PM

So I'll be lengthening the pto shaft. Is the difference in the hitch that sticks out further on the later ones? Otherwise the frame and wheelbase looks the same.

#4 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 255 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 04:57 PM

I believe the receiver on the tractor is the difference.  The receiver on the S series is tucked under but the later Gilson has it sticking out the back farther.

#5 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 05:15 PM

That's what I thought. Thanks a lot. And I also appreciate you helping me out with a sleeve hitch.