• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:39 AM

Anybody help me with a rear axle problem. My brother recently purchased what we believe is a Garden Mark Squire. On the right side on the rear axle, there is a gear and the hub with 6 roll pins going through the gear and into the hub. The pins shared off last week after when he was plowing snow. We got the pins out of the gear no problem, but can't get them out the hub, think we got 2 or 3 of the 6. Made several attempts in the drill press. any thoughts. Looks like a previous owner may have had a problem before with this. I'll post some pic's as soon as he sends them to me .

• classic, Dince and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,863 Thanks
  • 9,175 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 12:53 PM

Check our Manuals Section for the manual. Monkey Wards labelled several different brands of tractors as Garden Mark Squire. I had one made br Simplicity. My neighbor has one made by one of the other companies. Pics will be necessary. Good Luck, Rick
  • Lmiller3358, classic, Dince and 1 other said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 01:35 PM

I just happen to have one of those axle assemblies apart and it is from an Allis Chalmers B1 tractor. This Allis and your Squire are the same as Simplicity tractors of that era. I'm betting that the two differential lock bolts were very tight making the rear end act like a locked differential. With weights and chains giving lots of traction while plowing, these 6 roll pins can shear. I quit plowing with my Allis Big Ten when I snapped an axle tube last winter. I just don't have faith in those axle assemblies for heavy work, so I use the Economy and Gibson tractors for the plowing and hauling heavy loads. Both of these tractors have stout rear axle assemblies with no itty bitty parts to let loose. Here is a pic of what your hub should look like. The two lug bolts control differential action depending on how much you tighten them. These two lug bolts push nylon plugs against the axle when you tighten them down.

Attached Thumbnails

• getPart-27.jpeg
  • getPart-34.jpeg

• Dince and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• 1,480 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 01:37 PM

I just happen to have one of those axle assemblies apart and it is from an Allis Chalmers B1 tractor. This Allis and your Squire are the same as Simplicity tractors of that era. I'm betting that the two differential lock bolts were very tight making the rear end act like a locked differential. With weights and chains giving lots of traction while plowing, these 6 roll pins can shear. I quit plowing with my Allis Big Ten when I snapped an axle tube last winter. I just don't have faith in those axle assemblies for heavy work, so I use the Economy and Gibson tractors for the plowing and hauling heavy loads. Both of these tractors have stout rear axle assemblies with no itty bitty parts to let loose. Here is a pic of what your hub should look like. The two lug bolts control differential action depending on how much you tighten them. These two lug bolts push nylon plugs against the axle when you tighten them down.

Yes, that's it classic 

• Dince said thank you

#5 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• 1,480 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 01:44 PM

Thank's for the info Classic. Are these available anywhere if we can't get the pins out ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1627.jpeg
  • 1625.jpeg

• Dince and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 01:48 PM

I remembered seeing and hearing talk about those roll pins shearing. If the two lug bolts are backed off just enough to allow differential action, the roll pins won't shear. The axle will spin inside the right hand side first. Positraction is nice, but it can break things and stress parts.
  • boyscout862, Dince and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 01:58 PM

You're welcome. These parts would be expensive to buy new if available, I would imagine, but no worries. I have some parts machines, so if you want this one it's yours for 20 shipped, Priority mail. I have more than I'll ever use, so I can send this assembly as you see it in the pic. This came from a good rear and the bushings and nylon plugs are in nice shape.
  • KennyP, Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• 1,480 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 02:30 PM

You're welcome. These parts would be expensive to buy new if available, I would imagine, but no worries. I have some parts machines, so if you want this one it's yours for 20 shipped, Priority mail. I have more than I'll ever use, so I can send this assembly as you see it in the pic. This came from a good rear and the bushings and nylon plugs are in nice shape.

Yes, that would be great if you can, and thanks again

Edited by Lmiller3358, January 04, 2018 - 02:42 PM.

• boyscout862, Dince and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 02:48 PM

You're welcome. I'll ship it out tomorrow afternoon or Saturday at the latest.
  • jms180, drbish, Lmiller3358 and 5 others have said thanks

#10 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,381 Thanks
  • 1,345 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 07:03 PM

Perfect example of why I like this site!  Lots of great people willing to help others out!

• KennyP, Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#11 Dince OFFLINE  

Dince
  • Member No: 71453
  • 14 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 08:26 PM

Perfect example of why I like this site!  Lots of great people willing to help others out!

Hear Hear!

David from Downunder, sweltering today!!!
  • KennyP, Lmiller3358 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks