• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wcl400 OFFLINE  

wcl400
  • Member No: 85913
  • 29 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:16 AM

I am looking at a very original tractor with a blade and 3 point. It needs what he says is minor electrical work, gas tank put back on and original seat cover put on. $500. Do you think this is a great deal.

Edited by wcl400, January 04, 2018 - 11:29 AM.

#2 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 706 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:23 AM

Pics would help a lot   :D  

Without it not running this could go either way. The GT14 is a beast but if the hydro transmission doesn't work properly you could be in for a costly fix. Also what does he consider minor electrical work and what is your skill level? Many things go into determining a value. I don't know how common GT 14's are in washington, but if i could get a decent GT 14 here with what you describe I'd be there giving the guy money lol

• boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,231 Thanks
  • 1,596 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:23 AM

I would install or have him install the gas tank and make sure it runs and moves before buying it
  • boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 wcl400 OFFLINE  

wcl400
  • 29 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:42 AM

He says it has been garage kept and used very little, it even has the original tires that look new. I am trying to figure out how to get the link to Craigslist.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 wcl400 OFFLINE  

wcl400
  • 29 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:42 AM

He says it has been garage kept and used very little, it even has the original tires that look new. I am trying to figure out how to get the link to Craigslist.

#6 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 1,214 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:54 AM

One of the reason people pay less for non-running tractors is because of unknown issues. Its funny how someones suggestion to and easy fix turns out to be a major project. Unless you know the person well and can get complete details don't take the chance, 500.00 is a bit steep for a non-running tractor. 

The above knowledge I have learned here on this site, I have bough a few non-runners and have payed way less for them, just to put way more then I have paid for them into it to get them running and fix the "other" issues that we never stated. I have got them all from burnt valves , worn out gear boxes , but last known running the person said it needed something simple like a carb adjustment , wiring, etc. 

I have also paid a bit more for something I wanted just because I wanted it and was not going to wait and was willing to accept it good or bad, and have had good results. You have to be ready to gamble a little if you do that so just make sure if its going to hurt its not going to be crippling or put you in a bad position where it hurts real bad. 

#7 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,231 Thanks
  • 1,596 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:58 AM

i just find it amazing as something simple as putting the gas tank back on and getting it running before trying to sell it.
I have purchased several non running tractors over the years but I purchased them knowing that it

#8 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,902 Thanks
  • 1,387 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 12:35 PM

Very similar to playing poker. Is he bluffing, is he being truthful, a little of each, dose he even know what he is talking about. I have had people tell me the rod knock sound was normal. Then you don't know if they are lying or just ignorant. For $500 id deserves very careful inspection. If you repair it before you purchase it he could decide it is more valuable. Know who you are dealing with. Don

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,612 Thanks
  • 7,920 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 08:24 PM

First, if it has the plastic tank in front of motor and is the grill too, they leak alot, even at the outlet. OR, outlet gets broken off, OR, the exhaust burns thru them because someone left that PIA metal sheild out last time the messed with it.  These are nice heavy tractors, but DO have different attachments than most W'Horse models, makes it a little harder to find some things.  Electrics not any diff than any other tractor that I recall. I had one once and painted it up MM Yellow of course and was pretty neat. Didn't turn to sharp, and seemed a little slower than most Horses, a little tight to sit on also, might want to climn on and see if you fit. Seems like seat is special in the sliding adjustment hardware and seemed to need a few more inches to back to fit most people. I think too much also, maybe $300 at most.

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,313 Thanks
  • 9,782 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 09:25 PM

It's a non-running tractor unless he can prove otherwise and is worth much less.

#11 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 481 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:07 PM

Works both ways.  Had a mower where the PO said the engine was noisy & probably bad.  Took a chance because of the low price.  Turned out to be a bent shroud hitting the flywheel.  

As said though, always a gamble & in my book $500 is too much to gamble with.

#12 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 684 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 10:45 AM

500,,,, I have to agree with everyone here a bit high for a non runner, yes the GT14 is a rugged machine, but has some "quirks" if you will.  Whats the rubber like? Those rear tires have become a bit odd being 15" rims and pretty spendy to replace with GT tires or swap out to a normal 12" rim.  Has some one upgraded the machine with Tach-Matic hitches? If not the only implements available will be GT 14 specific.  Then the hydro, if its the older type might not be fun finding parts for it, most however were converted to the newer type.  Gas tanks are known to leak, a lot of parts will be NLA new so good used, fabricated, or "reengineered" will be the course but what can you expect for a 40+yr old  machine.  

I took a 73 WH 16 Auto from "rags to riches" a few years back (thread "My Recent Freebie" in the WH forum)  the machine was in pretty good mechanical shape, one owner, low time, straight body, and running the day before it lost the piston, looked like a piece of junk when I towed it into the shop, but it didn't leave that way.  It mostly sits in the shed used for deep snow with a NOS 42" tall chute blower mounted to it year round, I got to blow 24" snow depth last year with it,, made the dozens of hours of labor and hundreds of beans spent well worth the expense.

#13 refracman OFFLINE  

refracman
  • Member No: 10428
  • 67 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 12:11 PM

I believe this is your link

https://portland.cra...6442644529.html

Shes a ruff cobb for sure. Looks to have more than a gas tank issue,

Its not a 69 has the solid grill, probably a 70 with that hood decal and mag ignition

The Good

3pt is complete, $200 +/- so it has that going for it.and if it has the correct snow plow( GT14 has its own) $150 +/-, it also has a front attachmatic for the newer style decks. $35 +/-, Tires look good

The Bad

tractor has the mag style ignition, so if no spark, which might be the cause for it not running,If does need those parts they are had to find and $$  or swapped to points if possible, and the electric clutch switch is not original either.

if your not good with wiring  it will be rats nest for sure, this will not be a plug and play type of deal

As for worth, around these parts with being non running, not more than 300 for sure and that would be the high side

Edited by refracman, January 05, 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#14 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,313 Thanks
  • 9,782 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 01:00 PM

The best thing going for you is, you've got a bunch of guys here who can talk you through anything. Nothing mentioned so far is a big deal except the price.

#15 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 513 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 10:36 PM

My uncle has one, he left in a shed for about twenty years. Two years ago I managed to talk him into pulling it out and recondition it. He got it with a 54" front plow, a mower deck and a mid mount blade with three different types of blades for it. Pics of before and after.IMG00178.jpg IMG00185.jpg IMG00193.jpg IMG00194.jpg IMG00195.jpg IMG00196.jpg

• KennyP said thank you