44 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,632 Thanks
  • 6,438 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 08:34 AM

Like has been siad.  Painted floor is non treated pine.  Lights in vulnerable position, should be recessed.  No brakes is not good.  Your buying a cheap project that will need work in a year as the lights will knocked off or wiring pulled out. Probably only 3000 lb axles.  Angle iron frame will twist and bend.

Edited by chieffan, January 03, 2018 - 08:35 AM.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#17 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 4,139 Thanks
  • 2,408 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:20 AM

Requires a CDL in Texas for a gooseneck. Had a friend that had to go to court over pulling a gooseneck dump trailer. 

Really? I had no idea, glad we don't have that here.

I love this gooseneck trailer, it pulls great and easy. I don't know what I'd do without it.

• bbuckler and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#18 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,139 Thanks
  • 2,408 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:30 AM

Guess I've never thought much about trailer brakes, always thought they might be nice to get set up but I have never had brakes on any of my trailers.

My old '81 C30 had a bunch of brake work done and it has always stopped anything. It actually stops better then it takes off (has a straight 292 engine) :smilewink:. I think my max load I hauled was 10k lbs on my 24' gooseneck. :worshippy1:

#19 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,139 Thanks
  • 2,408 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:32 AM

Do your homework....

I bought a 18 footer that was supposed to be D.O.T. compliant, but it wasn't!

I completely rewired it, added a "break-away" switch & battery, all new LED lights, and added the extra lights for the D.O.T compliance.

It also only had 1 "brake" axle, and the underneath side of the trailer wasn't painted. Had to repaint after 1 year, and replace some boards after 2 years.

I thought trailers always had only 1 axle with a brake? All trailers I've seen anyway

#20 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,922 Thanks
  • 662 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:33 AM

I am hopefully next summer going to get rid of the old mobile home we own,It has a real good frame and 3 axles are under it still attached to the frame,The hitch is still attached also I have built several trailers over the years but this will be a first out of a mobile home frame,I know they make real good trailers if cut down properly and are a handy length sooo,,,,,What in everybodys opinion is a good all around length for garden tractors ,cars and trucks ,lumber,ect,ect You know general use,The mobile home is a 10x50,Then I need to figure out how much to cut out before and after the axles to balance it correctly and go goose neck or bumper pull,I lean goose neck but I will have to outfit my truck for that

• bbuckler said thank you

#21 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,139 Thanks
  • 2,408 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:41 AM

I am hopefully next summer going to get rid of the old mobile home we own,It has a real good frame and 3 axles are under it still attached to the frame,The hitch is still attached also I have built several trailers over the years but this will be a first out of a mobile home frame,I know they make real good trailers if cut down properly and are a handy length sooo,,,,,What in everybodys opinion is a good all around length for garden tractors ,cars and trucks ,lumber,ect,ect You know general use,The mobile home is a 10x50,Then I need to figure out how much to cut out before and after the axles to balance it correctly and go goose neck or bumper pull,I lean goose neck but I will have to outfit my truck for that

My trailer was gooseneck but I switched it over to 5th wheel, I didn't have goosneck for my pickup and I already had a 5th wheel hitch laying in the shed so I used it instead. I have no regrets, with it, it is so nice just backing into it instead of trying to back perfectly under it and then lower the trailer down onto it.

#22 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,080 Thanks
  • 1,380 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:58 AM

I think I have only seen 1 trailer made from a trailer house frame. It sat way to high to be useful. The deck was higher than the floor of alot of 2wd pickups making them top heavy and pull bad, not to mention hard to load and unload tractors and GTs. It could be just the way they chopped the axles and the 10" channel iron frame.

Edited by tater195, January 03, 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#23 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,858 Thanks
  • 4,351 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:35 AM

Well I'll plug for the $1,200.00 CM Trailer. I don't have much for a budget, and I am sure Brandon is less. I have a 6X8 that I can barely get two GT's on. The main use for the longer trailer would be to haul 3 GT's once a year to a Show that is 35 miles from me, all on good mostly flat 75mph roads. The 07 Ranger with the 3.0 six banger will struggle but should make it. The small trailer makes 3 - 4 trips a year, mainly to go get a GT, or take one out.

I may look into renting one from CM for the 3 day show, as this may be a cheaper option. 

#24 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,331 Thanks
  • 2,991 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:57 AM

Well I'll plug for the $1,200.00 CM Trailer. I don't have much for a budget, and I am sure Brandon is less. I have a 6X8 that I can barely get two GT's on. The main use for the longer trailer would be to haul 3 GT's once a year to a Show that is 35 miles from me, all on good mostly flat 75mph roads. The 07 Ranger with the 3.0 six banger will struggle but should make it. The small trailer makes 3 - 4 trips a year, mainly to go get a GT, or take one out.

I may look into renting one from CM for the 3 day show, as this may be a cheaper option. 

I wouldn't pull one with my Dad's ranger it does could going up hill loaded with the little trailer It really hates Gatesville . But I got my grandma's F-250 that will pull one fine

Edited by bbuckler, January 03, 2018 - 11:41 AM.

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,632 Thanks
  • 6,438 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 11:03 AM

For one 3 days show it would quite an investment.  Keep what you have, put one tractor in the pickup and 2 on the trailer.   Load into and unload the pickup from the trailer.  I sold a 7 X 12 single axle trailer to get the 16" landscape trailer I have now.  Mainly because I haul a load of gravel a couple times a year the small trailer would not hold much weight wise.  Have 3 time the load capacity now. 

Better check the towing capacity of your ranger or you will replacing the tranny in it real quick.  Not made for that kind of towing.

Edited by chieffan, January 03, 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#26 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,331 Thanks
  • 2,991 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 11:40 AM

For me we are always on the road with a trailer finding more projects 

#27 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,617 Thanks
  • 1,619 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 07:02 PM

,,,What in everybodys opinion is a good all around length for garden tractors ,cars and trucks ,lumber,ect,ect You know general use,The mobile home is a 10x50,Then I need to figure out how much to cut out before and after the axles to balance it correctly and go goose neck or bumper pull,I lean goose neck but I will have to outfit my truck for that

Those 50 ft mobile home axles are just there for a slow tow to where they are going to be set on a lot and thats about it.....I would look for a travel trailer to strip and build if you want to go that route. 

I built this from about a 25 ft travel trailer, cut it down to about 16 ft and made a short beaver tail on the back. It has 3500# axles with trailer brakes on both. Had to beef up the cross members quite a bit. It works well. I was given the trailer, so only have about $400 invested. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Nov409009Medium.jpg
  • landscapretrailer005.jpg
  • landscapretrailer006.jpg
  • LGT 145-165 001.JPG

• KennyP and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#28 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,109 Thanks
  • 2,627 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 07:51 PM

A trailer isn't something to go "cheap" on!  My big trailer is over 20 years old, started out with 3500# axles, 16' from a local builder, brakes on both axles.  When I brought Dad's JD 720D home, I took it back to the builder for 6,000# axles, towing with a 3/4 ton pickup, frame is plenty heavy enough:  1285.jpg

Two years ago, as my needs changed, I took it back to the original builder for a 2' dovetail & cut the ramp gate accordingly:  Pictures 2015 001 (9).JPG   At that time, I replaced 3 of the original 2 x 8" treated floor boards ( the trailer is stored outside in all weather.

It has handled as many as five garden tractors as a 16':  GARDEN TRACTORS 018.jpg

My 10' was built by the same builder:  HPIM1211.JPG

It is my understanding that many states now require brakes on all trailer axles.  Don't depend on the tow vehicle to stop all loads, it may work fine in "normal" braking, but not in an emergency stop situation!

• KennyP, bbuckler and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#29 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 2,156 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:18 PM

I never understood how people can destroy lights on a trailer, same about running without brakes, I had to install new brakes on both axles on my trailer because of neglect by the previous owner, I would not own a trailer without brakes on both axles.
  • KennyP said thank you

#30 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,331 Thanks
  • 2,991 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:41 PM

You only need brakes in Texas if it 20 foot or longer

• KennyP said thank you