Well said, Rick!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 162 Thanks
  • 175 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:53 AM

Not to mention the cumulative heat absorbed by global blacktop used for roads, lots, airports, etc. How much human impact vs how much cyclic fluxation ?
  • boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#18 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,862 Thanks
  • 10,041 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:55 AM

I found this interactive site that is pretty interesting. Just remember that global warming measures the world wide average temperature​ of all areas, land and sea and the change is usually 1 or 2 degrees. Notice that in each change the Eastern US isn't the same as everywhere else.

https://earthobserva...decadaltemp.php

Edited by LilysDad, January 03, 2018 - 10:58 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#19 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,899 Thanks
  • 6,922 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 11:34 AM

Poncho, We usually agree on things. Here is what I know: Global warming is that the average world wide temperature has risen. This has created greater weather instability. We will see hotter hot weather and colder cold weather but it will average out. Don't look at a small weather event and judge the weather on it. We have to look at the overall trend.

It is funny in the global warming argument that both sides ignore that the normal trend for earth is to warm up over the ages until a cooling event happens(usually a volcano or meteor strike). I have no doubt that the emissions from human activities have accelerated global warming but that isn't the whole story.

I rarely have a clear sunny day. There is usually a high cloud layer that interfers with my solar heating. The weather guesser one time said that it was air pollution from China. I believe it especially after seeing their air pollution problems.

I wonder what the cooling event might be? North Korea? An active volcano in the pacific ring of fire?

Stay warm and Good Luck, Rick

IO agree with you on the "Global Warming" thing.  Our "weather" is determined on the global relationship to the sun and we cannot control that.  If they claim the temps are rising then we must be getting more sunlight through, which mean the air is cleaner.  My thoughts on "Global Warming".  When they (scientist) don't have an answer they say global warming caused it.   Kind of like picking up a piece of rusty barb wire at a burnt out building and calling it faulty wiring.

• propane1 said thank you

#20 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 10,899 Thanks
  • 6,922 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 11:38 AM

That could get rather nasty out there! Supposed to generate a heat wave for us, though. :smilewink:

We started at -21 yesterday morning.  Was going to haul wood but I think Kenny left a door open as we had 20 + mph winds with a -10 wind chill.  Last night we got up to +17 about 1:30 but was going down around 6.  Got the wood hauled but wind coming up out of the NW.  Don't count on that heat way to much.  Cold front moving through.  Again.

• KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#21 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 10,899 Thanks
  • 6,922 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 11:40 AM

My brother left the cold in Madison, Wi. Dec 31.  Got to his condo in Fl on the first.  Now had 42° and rain this morning.  Just below the snow line about 50 miles.

• KennyP said thank you

#22 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,437 Thanks
  • 9,384 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 12:52 PM

IO agree with you on the "Global Warming" thing.  Our "weather" is determined on the global relationship to the sun and we cannot control that.  If they claim the temps are rising then we must be getting more sunlight through, which mean the air is cleaner.  My thoughts on "Global Warming".  When they (scientist) don't have an answer they say global warming caused it.   Kind of like picking up a piece of rusty barb wire at a burnt out building and calling it faulty wiring.

It is not that simple. The air pollution is reducing the sun light through a little but it is keeping more heat in. Its like on a cloudy night the temps don't drop as much as a clear night. Humans are polluting, there is no question. My father saw no pollution of the Atlantic when he crossed 6 times during WWII(unless you count Uboats and Heinkels). Now there is plastic and crap everywhere. We are damageing our environment but some of the changes are not completly of our making. Some are natural. I don't know how much is due to us and how much would have happened anyway. I do know that huge business owners do not want warming recognized because then they will have to clean up their acts. That would hurt profits.

I think that all we can do is talk about it and try to prepare for the consequences. The powers that be are only concerned with corporate profits(hence the big tax break) and we the people don't really count. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 03, 2018 - 12:54 PM.

• KennyP, LilysDad and propane1 have said thanks

#23 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,862 Thanks
  • 10,041 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 01:27 PM

It doesn't matter if we cause any of it. We should still clean up after ourselves and be good citizens of the world.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,073 Thanks
  • 6,291 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 02:20 PM

I don't know if it was the same scientists that claim global warming or not but some have said that one big volcano blowing it's top negates 10 years of what man has done to eliminate air pollution.  Do you think we have gained anything and how will we know? The earth has been going through warming and cooling cycles since the beginning of time.

For some reason the guy that invented the internet and can't spell potato can't seem to get that through his head.  :(  

• KennyP and John Arsenault have said thanks

#25 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 13,437 Thanks
  • 9,384 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 07:03 PM

I don't know if it was the same scientists that claim global warming or not but some have said that one big volcano blowing it's top negates 10 years of what man has done to eliminate air pollution.  Do you think we have gained anything and how will we know? The earth has been going through warming and cooling cycles since the beginning of time.
For some reason the guy that invented the internet and can't spell potato can't seem to get that through his head.  :(

That was Bush's VP Dan Quayle that misspelled potato. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 03, 2018 - 07:03 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,073 Thanks
  • 6,291 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 12:30 AM

That was Bush's VP Dan Quayle that misspelled potato. Good Luck, Rick 

Your right and I stand corrected. My mind must be turning to Swiss cheese. 

• olcowhand and boyscout862 have said thanks

#27 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 13,437 Thanks
  • 9,384 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 07:40 AM

Your right and I stand corrected. My mind must be turning to Swiss cheese. 

We are all getting older and with it comes memory loss. Just remember that age is an achievement! There is an advantage to memory loss that I discovered 8 years ago. I started reading a real good book about a marine squad on Pelileu. It wasn't until most ways through the book that I realized that I had read it in the 80s. Good Luck, Rick

• olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,073 Thanks
  • 6,291 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:27 AM

It wasn't until most ways through the book that I realized that I had read it in the 80s. Good Luck, Rick

Nice to know that I have some company. I hate it when I'm looking for my glasses and I'm wearing them.  :hitting_self_roller:

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#29 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 13,437 Thanks
  • 9,384 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 12:43 PM

Nice to know that I have some company. I hate it when I'm looking for my glasses and I'm wearing them.  :hitting_self_roller:

As the great plilosopher, Red Green said "We are all in this together". Welcome to Geezerville. Good Luck, Rick
  • KennyP, Cvans, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#30 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 551 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 09:32 PM

Every time I hear someone talking about global warming I have to remember back in the 70s when they started talking about the rising temperatures some one would say if it had not been for global warming Chicago would still be under 300 feet of ice. Temperature rise has been less then 5 degrees since then. As far as garbage in the ocean & everywhere else I seen a study that stated within 2 mile radius of a fast food restaurant with a drive through 80 percent of the garbage found was from that restaurant. This comes from ones that are suppose to be smarter then the rest of us making a throw away society.

Charlie  

• Cvans, boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks