#1 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,991 Thanks
  • 9,637 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:03 AM

According to Accu Weather, it seems that there will be some real snow coming up the Right Coast later this week, with Maine and NB getting the worst of it.

"There is the potential for not only a foot (30 cm) or more of snow to fall, in Maine and New Brunswick, but also the risk of hurricane-force winds and frigid air at the same time. Tremendous blowing and drifting snow is likely and some communities may be isolated for several days in the wake of the storm. Some of these same communities may be without power."

I hope you are all prepared.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,552 Thanks
  • 9,046 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:20 AM

The way the weather has been actting, we all should Be Prepared all of the time. I try to be with food, fuel, tractors, and generators. I always have materials to repair the house on hand. Siempre Paratus, Rick
  • Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,413 Thanks
  • 1,164 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 01:25 PM

I am ready for it, got 3 good running tractors, two heat sources, generator, bread, eggs, and milk. 

20170213_095810.jpg

Oh and lots of coffee! 

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 37,537 Thanks
  • 45,525 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 01:29 PM

That could get rather nasty out there! Supposed to generate a heat wave for us, though. :smilewink:

• Cvans, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,609 Thanks
  • 6,427 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 01:44 PM

Staying warm up this way.  Groceries are in the cupboard, going after wood shortly and put about 3 yard cart in the mud room for the fireplace.  Warming trend for here so just sub normal operation.  If you get more heat then you can handle Kenny I could use a little extra? 

• KennyP, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 37,537 Thanks
  • 45,525 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 02:01 PM

Staying warm up this way.  Groceries are in the cupboard, going after wood shortly and put about 3 yard cart in the mud room for the fireplace.  Warming trend for here so just sub normal operation.  If you get more heat then you can handle Kenny I could use a little extra? 

We are just going back to near average temps, may get close to 55 Sunday. Then cool back just below our average, mid-forties.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,480 Thanks
  • 4,040 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 04:12 PM

I'm ready for it. Propane furnace, two propane fireplaces, that don't require power to operate, small propane cook stove in basement, if power goes out, wood stove in the garage, if I have to move out there. Lamps for light, in house and garage, milk, food, orange juice, pop, whiskey, beer, all the good stuff, and water, don't forget to fill containers and pots full of water. And three good tractors, 3 cans of gas, extra oil.

I just hope its not as bad as they say,    Noel 

• KennyP, Cvans, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 37,537 Thanks
  • 45,525 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 04:45 PM

I'm ready for it. Propane furnace, two propane fireplaces, that don't require power to operate, small propane cook stove in basement, if power goes out, wood stove in the garage, if I have to move out there. Lamps for light, in house and garage, milk, food, orange juice, pop, whiskey, beer, all the good stuff, and water, don't forget to fill containers and pots full of water. And three good tractors, 3 cans of gas, extra oil.

I just hope its not as bad as they say,    Noel 

Good luck up there, Noel! From what I heard, that area is where it could be the worst!

• boyscout862, propane1, John Arsenault and 1 other said thanks

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,163 Thanks
  • 1,560 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 06:38 PM

it's sad how in this day in age we need to have our hands held for 12" of snow. it's called winter it happens every year since the beginning of time.
  • shorty, boyscout862, John Arsenault and 1 other said thanks

#10 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,613 Thanks
  • 1,615 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 06:41 PM

Some nice global warming would be nice right about now.........thanks Al Gore

• jms180, boyscout862, John Arsenault and 2 others have said thanks

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,991 Thanks
  • 9,637 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 07:21 PM

it's sad how in this day in age we need to have our hands held for 12" of snow. it's called winter it happens every year since the beginning of time.

I think the hurricane force winds might be significant.

• KennyP, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 40,374 Thanks
  • 31,177 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 07:43 PM

While I'm not in the dangerous weather area, I am ready in case of power outage.  I have 15 to 20 gallons of gas for generators, some kerosene for my little free standing heater, and the large PTO generator I could run off a large tractor if needed.  We also have 2 freezers almost full of food, so we're good to go.  Being we're on city water, we shouldn't have issues, but if we do, we have a good spring we can get water from. I don't get very concerned with weather, as I've dealt with big issues before so many times while keeping the dairy going.  So much easier now!   I could easily last a month without going anywhere!

• KennyP, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#13 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 1,549 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 08:03 PM

We were at 6 F here this morning our average low this time of year should be above freezing. Its going to warm up to 50 Saturday which is good news. You folks in the path of the storm be safe and stay warm

• olcowhand, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#14 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,412 Thanks
  • 813 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 08:18 PM

In the early 90s, when I lived in the mountains, we had three feet of snow. Work was shutdown for a week. I lived in town so we didn't have to worry about water and surprisingly we never lost power. At 25 years old, no kids and definitely not driving anywhere, all of the neighbor's got together each day to eat and drink. We changed houses when one house ran out of food or beer and bourbon.

Be safe. Don't overdo things.
  • KennyP, boyscout862, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,552 Thanks
  • 9,046 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:14 AM

Some nice global warming would be nice right about now.........thanks Al Gore

Poncho, We usually agree on things. Here is what I know: Global warming is that the average world wide temperature has risen. This has created greater weather instability. We will see hotter hot weather and colder cold weather but it will average out. Don't look at a small weather event and judge the weather on it. We have to look at the overall trend.

It is funny in the global warming argument that both sides ignore that the normal trend for earth is to warm up over the ages until a cooling event happens(usually a volcano or meteor strike). I have no doubt that the emissions from human activities have accelerated global warming but that isn't the whole story.

I rarely have a clear sunny day. There is usually a high cloud layer that interfers with my solar heating. The weather guesser one time said that it was air pollution from China. I believe it especially after seeing their air pollution problems.

I wonder what the cooling event might be? North Korea? An active volcano in the pacific ring of fire?

Stay warm and Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 03, 2018 - 10:16 AM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks