• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,032 Thanks
  • 46,727 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 11:03 AM

Do you even get any snow!

Not often! And it usually melts off within a few days. But we have gotten '10" of Partly Cloudy' before!

• Cjet69 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#17 Cjet69 ONLINE  

Cjet69
  • Member No: 68442
  • 605 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 07:30 PM

After using these pliers a bit I have found that if the cross chain hooks are crimped down tight on these chains that the spreader jaws won't get a good grip and will slip. They work fine on some old car chains that I have, but the smaller set of pliers that Tirechain.com offers might work better for these chains. They are also cheaper. I may try modifying the jaws some to see if I can make them fit better.

I did find that if I start with a pair of nippers then the spreader jaws work just fine.

100_8575 (Medium).JPG

100_8583 (Medium).JPG

100_8584 (Medium).JPG
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#18 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,541 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:04 PM

Growing up in the south with a daddy that felt four wheel drives only got you stuck where no one could get to you, he always used chains for the little snow that we got. When I got big enough to do it, it became my job to ensure his pickup had weight in the back and chains on the tires.

He wanted the chains tight. I learned to cheat the system. I dropped the air in the tires, mounted the chains and aired the tires back up.