• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • Member No: 89033
  • 83 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 10:37 AM

good morning tore into the jb hunter yesterday I have no fire but the mice were homesteadin on top of the coil and the laminated metal is really rusty look's like it's rusted down in the strips too could this be my problem?

#2 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,569 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 12:28 PM

Do you have any pics? I've had rusty coils still work, but some really bad ones wouldn't. Check for chewed wires that may be grounding out. Mouse urine will corrode the coil lamination badly and also the wire connections. You should remove the coil and clean everything well, including the flywheel. Just don't use steel wool on anything or it will stick to the flywheel and short your coil. I use 1/4" rabbit cage wire behind the blower housings on my Briggs engines. This keeps the mice out and keeps the engine running.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • 83 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 01:32 PM

thanks for the tip about steel wool & the rabbit wire I have wire brushed the fly wheel til it is bright & sanded the ends of coil til they are bright  set the air gap on a tight .012 is that close to right? is there any way to clean down in the lamination's ? I will get some pic's this evening and get my wife to help me load them she is the computer wizz kid thank's again 

• classic said thank you

#4 chris gauthier OFFLINE  

chris gauthier
  • Member No: 89059
  • 16 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 02:16 PM

i`ve allways set mag clearance with a business card,about 020.make sure there is no contact between mag&flywheel magnets

• classic and DanielG have said thanks

#5 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,569 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 02:59 PM

You're welcome for the pointers. A tight .012 is fine fine, since the spec is between .010 and .014 for your engine. Some of the older Briggs engines with the three leg armature can be as much as .026. A business card like Chris said will do the trick, too. Your JB Hunter tractor is an MTD built machine like an MTD 990, I take it. Installing the 1/4" screen is pretty easy. I cut the screen larger than needed and fold the edges over to stiffen it up. I use two sheetmetal screws to attach it to the back plate, and two blobs of high temp silicone at the top two corners. I installed this screen over a year ago in the engine on my Economy tractor. No mice now, and the tractor starts instantly every time. Also, make sure that your points are very clean. A single small pit in the points can kill your spark. Once you get spark, make sure that the points cover is sealed tight, especially where the wires go into the cover. If not sealed, you will be cleaning the points often.

Attached Thumbnails

• getPart-14.jpeg

#6 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • 83 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 04:24 PM

Hi This is Mrs Danny.  For the life of me I can't figure out how to send a picture of Danny's coil.

Anyone have a quick guide.  I know my way around computers pretty good. just need the best way to post images here.

Edie

Edited by DanielG, January 01, 2018 - 04:27 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,032 Thanks
  • 46,727 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 05:45 PM

Hi This is Mrs Danny.  For the life of me I can't figure out how to send a picture of Danny's coil.

Anyone have a quick guide.  I know my way around computers pretty good. just need the best way to post images here.

Edie

Check the link in my signature for a video on uploading.

• DanielG said thank you

#8 4tom ONLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 162 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 09:02 PM

You can't send them from the mobile version. You have to go to the full version first. That may or may not be your problem. Good luck. Happy new year
  • KennyP and DanielG have said thanks

#9 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • 83 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:26 AM

no pic's yet went back to the shop yesterday evening tinkerin around and I got a little shock from it but the lamitation's are separating on top of the coil p.s. I drop afew moth balls around in the shop the mice hate it 

#10 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • 83 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 07:52 PM

This is Mrs Danny again. Thank you so much for sharing the video. on uploading a image. I tried everything yesterday. Even thought I might have to build a website to store Danny's pictures on.   So pictures should be up soon.

#11 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • 83 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 07:55 PM

here is a picture of the coil. 

Attached Thumbnails

• jbhuntercoil.jpg

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,238 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 09:07 PM

Looks pretty rusty! I would pop that flywheel off and clean up the points, check or replace the flywheel key. I can't really tell if the coil can be saved or not might not be worth it just replace it. looks like a standard briggs coil

Edited by jabelman, January 02, 2018 - 09:09 PM.

#13 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • 83 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions  Here is a few more pictures

Attached Thumbnails

• frontjbhunter.jpg

#14 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • 83 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 05:30 PM

would someone know what the problem is after I click on a image  it gives me the message no image was selected.  I go back and reselect it, but I still get the same message.

thanks for your help

Edited by DanielG, January 03, 2018 - 05:30 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,032 Thanks
  • 46,727 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 06:12 PM

Are you viewing on a phone? That's a different situation as I am on a computer. Can't offer much help for phone issues.