DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:38 PM

Well mothers day has come and gone a long time ago so I guess we'll try for this mothers day coming up.
Being a long time since I did anything on this so last weekend started on it again, got to finish what you start right.
Tractor is in the garage and I pulled the head off the engine and found some good and bad stuff out about it.
Found no thermostat.
The cylinder walls are not all rusted up and look better than I thought they were going to.
The crank and big end of the rods fell pretty tight, won't know for sure until they get measured, just going to use plastigage on them.
The valves don't look that bad, they clean up on the wire wheel pretty good.
The valve seats shot, 3 of the 4 exhaust valves are stuck open.
Big problem here is that rain water??? water from somewhere goes down the muffler, into the exhaust manifold, sits in the bottom of the manifold, the exhaust valve ports and rusted them all up. Lots of loose rust in there.
This engine needs a major valve job and might as well do it all while it's all apart.
It is amazing how small this engine is, valves the size of a nickle, the end of your baby finger seals off the exhaust port, a soda can just barely fits in the cylinder, I think the hp rating is 9 or 10hp everything so small.
Here's some pictures the red is ATF
Fall 005.jpg
Fall 025.jpg
Fall 029.jpg

Anybody have any advice or tips?

Attached Thumbnails

• Fall 001.jpg
  • Fall 004.jpg
  • Fall 007.jpg
  • Fall 011.jpg
  • Fall 026.jpg
  • Fall 028.jpg

#17 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:00 PM

Some engine specs
4 cyl water cooled
59.5 cid.
9.25hp at 1600 rpm

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 11:17 PM

Doug,

How does the cam look? Do you have the cover off so you can look at it? I bet because the engine is a flathead style, water never got into the cylinders, but ran down through the valve guides and all over the cam and lifters. Did the pan have water in it? the cylinder walls look good and you can probably get by with a good valve job.

Good Luck, Brian

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 11:35 PM

My FIL had a Low Boy with that engine... it was the most under-powered mower ever. I never had the head off... wasn't mine...

May want to tell your friend they may be better off selling the Demo unit to a hungry collector & getting a running unit?

#20 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:48 AM

Doug,

How does the cam look? Do you have the cover off so you can look at it? I bet because the engine is a flathead style, water never got into the cylinders, but ran down through the valve guides and all over the cam and lifters. Did the pan have water in it? the cylinder walls look good and you can probably get by with a good valve job.

Good Luck, Brian

The cam looks OK, I havn't removed it but what I can see no rust marks anywhere.
There was no water or milk (water and oil mix) that came out of the oil pan at all.
Looks like the water got into the exhaust side of the manifold and the sat in the exhaust ports, that's as far as it went.
Like you say the cylinders look OK.
Saw a fellow years ago do a valve grinding job on a forklift engine, 6 cly. flathead Continental, he ground the seats with the engine in the fork and took the valves to his shop and ground them there. Have to find somebody who can do that on this one, save me a lot of work.
For the rest I was thinking about remove the pan check the bearings, remove the pistons check the rings and deglaze the cylinder walls. If I can get away with doing that this won't cost much, even if I have to get rings, bearings they are available and not to expensive.

#21 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 01:41 PM

:help: I about to take a real good look at the rest of this engine and try to find out exactly what it needs. I want to know some specs and torque values.

1- crank specs mains and rod journals.
2- cylinder bore, I believe it's 2.625 standard???
3- torque specs, head bolts, main and rod bolts.

The sooner I can figure out what I need to buy to fix this thing the sooner it's done.
Any help would be appreciated.

This tractor belongs to my neighbor, was his dads and has been it the family for decades. He wants to use this for scuffling he calls it, tractor came with a bunch of cultivators mid and rear mount.

#22 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 02:50 PM

Here is a quick overveiw of this engine, Still looking for torque specs.,

Also look at the link below, its a service manual with everything you'll need..

Bore/Stroke: 2.625x2.75 inches
• Cooling: liquid
• Cylinders: 4
• Displacement: 59.5 ci
• Firing Order: 1-3-4-2
• Fuel: gasoline
• Manufacturer: international harvester
• Model: c60
• Oil Capacity: 3 qts
• Rated RPMs: 1600

http://www.cleancomp...cifications.htm

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, February 05, 2011 - 02:59 PM.
found service book,,,

• DH1 said thank you

#23 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 03:21 PM

Well Brian you answered all my questions hear, Thanks this tells me everything I need to know. I searched the web and never found any real detailed info on these engines, Thanks again.