13 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,645 Thanks
  • 5,845 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 06:28 PM

Anyone tried the autocraft platinum agm Battery? With this zero degree weather my jeep has been starting slow. Battery is 3 years old.

175 dollars and I have a 25% off coupon if I order it online.

Thought about snagging one up. But wondered if anyone has used one and if it was any better than a normal cheaper battery.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 31, 2017 - 06:28 PM.

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,551 Thanks
  • 9,044 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 08:11 PM

I invested in a battery jumper to carry in the car and use for tractors. At 10*f some of my tractors aren't starting even with the jumper added. I've had to resort to the 200amp 100v battery charger/booster. I don't need the booster if I leave the 200 watt magnetic heater on it and cover the entire tractor with a tarp. I figure that two hours of the heater and then the booster is the cheapest way to do it. The car always starts but if you are worried about getting stuck get a new battery or a jumper. The jumper gives alot of flexiblitiy. Mine can charge from the cigarette lighter. Good Luck, Rick

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 40,374 Thanks
  • 31,177 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 08:23 PM

And bring the jumper inside home at night so it'll have full power when needed. I have no experience with AGM batteries.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,645 Thanks
  • 5,845 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 08:38 PM

For some reason my dad seems to get me a jumper every christmas. I just got a new one this christmas...i never even opened the Stanley one he got me last year. I was still using the one he bought me a few years ago.

On that morning the van. Same engine, same oil, ECT. Started without a hitch. Jeep did a lug lug vroom
  • olcowhand and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,892 Thanks
  • 652 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 10:23 PM

My concern wasnt the battery in my daughters explorer ,I realized I had not tested the anti freeze as of today,Normally I test everything in May and Oct so I went and checked it and it was only good to -18,Now its good to -45 Glad I checked

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,645 Thanks
  • 5,845 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 01:59 AM

5 below out and it fired right up no hesitation. Maybe it was just because it had sat for a couple days.

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,645 Thanks
  • 5,845 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 02:03 AM

My concern wasnt the battery in my daughters explorer ,I realized I had not tested the anti freeze as of today,Normally I test everything in May and Oct so I went and checked it and it was only good to -18,Now its good to -45 Glad I checked

I need to check the ranger.....it has been changed in years...

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,563 Thanks
  • 3,335 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 10:45 AM

Ive never had a agm battery or the gel type yet. Back in the day of four wheeling I always used marine batteries because they took more bouncing abuse. I have read where special charging specs for these new batteries are important to prevent damage.

Edited by Sawdust, January 01, 2018 - 10:45 AM.

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,645 Thanks
  • 5,845 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 01:31 PM

Ive never had a agm battery or the gel type yet. Back in the day of four wheeling I always used marine batteries because they took more bouncing abuse. I have read where special charging specs for these new batteries are important to prevent damage.

I have no experience with gels other than I put one in my dual sport. I didn't own it long enough afterwards to see how it lasted.

We used marine batteries in our dirt track car but that was mainly because we didn't run an alternator and the marine deep cycle would run the car for the heats, charge and run the main without any issue.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 40,374 Thanks
  • 31,177 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 02:16 PM

I did get a gel battery for my street bike a few years ago.  It didn't last even a full year when it completely went dead while cranking.  It was turning engine fast, then just fell flat.   I thought I blew a fuse or something, but battery was 100% flat and would not take any charge period.  Plate separated.  I won't buy another.

• Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

My projects take longer so I enjoy them more...

• Member No: 5472
  • 3,189 Thanks
  • 4,294 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 08:17 PM

No AGM experience here. Just replaced a Napa legend 65 series in my 2004 Grand Cherokee that was less than a year old. The first one lasted from 12/11/13 to 02/11/17. Now it fires faster but the block heater is really my friend.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,563 Thanks
  • 3,335 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 09:23 AM

There's only about three companies that make most car batteries. I remember East Penn & Johnson Controls & maybe another. The Napa & Die Hards are made by EP. I remember years ago Exide made the Napa's & they weren't that good then. We don't have harsh winters maybe around -10 the worse. I have had several AC Delco & they have never failed until close to two years after there expired dates. One thing I did find out is when buying a new battery is look at the date made. Ive seen some five years old before sold. I won't need a car battery for awhile but will be looking at the Napa Legend. Just to toss this in here. Im still running two gt's on the cheapo wally world batteries now over two years old. They stay in the tractors year round.
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 788 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 03:20 PM

I have just put the 3rd battery in my 99 Sierra as it died while I was getting some service work done on it. The original lasted 9 years and 8 for the second. Went out to start my Yukon and all it would do was click, put the charger on and it started next day. I will see if it will start this afternoon as something seems to be draining the battery.

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,307 Thanks
  • 3,020 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 06:33 PM

back when I worked at Sears they were all Johnson Controls batteries, they did switch to Exide for a year or so but went back to Johnson.... for some reason, when Exide made them we got more back as being bad....

• Sawdust said thank you