#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,428 Thanks
  • 9,379 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 07:59 PM

My dad used to build a fire under the old Cat bulldozers years ago.......lol

I have a heat lamp I may strap under there for an hour or so if its too cold. 

One of my antique tools is a Sears engine heater. It is the same as the old roadside warning lights that burned kerosene but has a perforated can over the flame. I've never used it(it is still in its original box from 60+ years ago. But, I'm prepared if I need it.

One of the winters in the 1930s my grand father had to build a small fire under his car to get it started. That was the winter that the western end of Long Island Sound froze over and people walked from Connecticut to Long Island. I can see doing that under a diesel engine but not a gas engine. My grandfather was a bit of a daredevil especially on his old Husqvarna motorcycle. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,257 Thanks
  • 10,106 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 10:18 PM

Two of our older machines have a propane fired block heater on them. Put a hundred pound bottle on top of the battery compartment, run the hose, and hope there isn't a strong wind at the end of the day.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,962 Thanks
  • 3,239 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 01:53 AM

Wind chill is the effect of the wind evaporating moisture off of your skin and lowering your body temperature. Wind chill doesn't have an effect on an engine. There is no moisture evaporating off and removing heat.

Oh well it was cold as heck outside then and it felt much colder than what it was lol.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,875 Thanks
  • 6,910 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 10:56 AM

If I have need to start one of mine in this cold I put a forced air kerosene heat on the engine from the side for about 120 min on each side.  Charger on the battery to warm it up and help get the power to the starter.  Haven't had one fail that way yet and a lot easier on the engine to have them wrtemed up some when the fire off.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#20 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,981 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 11:09 AM

Just came in from plowing just now....started up this morning without a hitch, no oil came out......I am thinking that the oil return got froze yesterday as mentioned above.   Thanks again all

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,428 Thanks
  • 9,379 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 12:40 PM

Just came in from plowing just now....started up this morning without a hitch, no oil came out......I am thinking that the oil return got froze yesterday as mentioned above.   Thanks again all

That sounds right. In cold weather, you can get moisture build up in the ventilation system and the exhaust until it is fully warmed up. That goes for cars too. It does look like we are in for a prolonged cold spell. Our weather guesser last night said it will be atleast 10 more days before we go above freezing. I'm considering changing oil on some of my GTs and Ford 2000 to a lighter oil just incase this gets worse through the winter. Good Luck, Rick

• poncho62 and EricFromPa have said thanks