• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 01:19 AM

I bought a 4 ft box blade to use on my Power King 2414 in my garden.  The box blade has CAT1 pins.  Should I be looking at reducing the box blade pins to CAT 0 or should I look at changing the 3 pt hitch to CAT 1 on the outside.  They seem to make replacement CAT 0 tractor side lower 3 pt hitch bars with a CAT 1 outside so you can connect to CAT 1 implements.  I don't own any CAT 0 implements so should I try to standardize on CAT 1?  Has anybody done this?

I guess what I am saying can I just change the 3 pt lower arms so the implement end is CAT1?

Edited by coxhaus, December 31, 2017 - 03:00 AM.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 03:15 AM

On some cat 1!inplements you can put cat 0 pins, facing inward and use them on power kings (and probably others) just fine.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and coxhaus have said thanks

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,210 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 08:17 AM

My guess is the 4' box blade is "limited cat 1" which means cat 1 pins on a cat 0 sized implement (it's what seems to be used on subcompact tractors).  Likely don't need to face the pins in.

A challenge I think you might have using cat 1 lift arms is they tend to be longer which will make the front of the tractor lighter when you lift the blade.

Agri Supply sells a cat 0 lift pin with a 7/8 thread to adapt cat 1 equipment.  I'd be tempted to go that route and a short cat 1 top link with an adapter bushing (Tractor Supply) on the tractor end.

Cat 1-Cat 0 lift pin

Cat 1-Cat 0 top link bushing

• KennyP, boyscout862, James Bosma and 2 others have said thanks

#4 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,478 Thanks
  • 729 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 08:48 AM

My guess is the 4' box blade is "limited cat 1" which means cat 1 pins on a cat 0 sized implement (it's what seems to be used on subcompact tractors).  Likely don't need to face the pins in.

A challenge I think you might have using cat 1 lift arms is they tend to be longer which will make the front of the tractor lighter when you lift the blade.

Agri Supply sells a cat 0 lift pin with a 7/8 thread to adapt cat 1 equipment.  I'd be tempted to go that route and a short cat 1 top link with an adapter bushing (Tractor Supply) on the tractor end.

Cat 1-Cat 0 lift pin

Cat 1-Cat 0 top link bushing

I would say this would be the cheaper and easiest way of doing it

More money for more Cat 0 attachments

• KennyP and coxhaus have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,989 Thanks
  • 47,156 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 10:26 AM

Seems like a good solution. How wide is the frame where the lift arms attach? Cat-0 is 20", but usually a bit smaller so you can get the arms over the pins!

• coxhaus said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,395 Thanks
  • 7,130 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 11:09 AM

I use a cat 1 5' blade on the back of my white.  Changed the pins and turned them to the inside.  Blade was used on a 8N ford prior to be getting it.

• KennyP and coxhaus have said thanks

#7 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 01:07 PM

I just measured my box blade and it is 25.5 inches. The model is a John Deere BB2048L.  I will try getting some pins.  

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,989 Thanks
  • 47,156 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 01:09 PM

I think TSC may have the Cat-1 to Cat-0 pins.

#9 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 03:55 PM

I think TSC may have the Cat-1 to Cat-0 pins.

I could not find the CAT 1 to CAT 0 pins at Tractor Supply.  So I just ordered from the link above from Agri Direct which MiCarl posted.  I also ordered the long top link I need for the Power King 2414 so it would be all in one shipping cost.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 08:35 PM

I wonder if a quick disconnect CAT 1 hitch could be modified to CAT 0 on the Power King side so I could use CAT 1 implements on my Power King 2414 tractor?

#11 icpik OFFLINE  

icpik

• Member No: 8205
  • 23 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 01:20 PM

Probably.  The greatest problem would be the weight of the quick disconnect and implement.  I run an aerator behind my 2414.  Normally I add 4 X 70 lb weights or about 280 lbs and the 3-pt works fine.  I added 6 X 70 lb weights once and the hydraulics were not happy.  I quickly removed two weights.  I don't know what the weight limits are for the standard hydraulics and 3-pt.

Don Hayes

• coxhaus said thank you

#12 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 12:26 AM

I used my box blade as described above for the first time today.  I does work on my PK 2414 tractor using CAT 0 pins which John Deere sells for their box blade which I bought.  The front is a little light so I probably could use wheel weights on the front.  I smoothed out one side of my garden.  I realized it is going to take me a while to learn how to use the box blade.  It seems to be harder than I thought. 

I think this box blade is going to be a full load for my PK 2414 tractor.  

• KennyP said thank you

#13 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,210 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 07:20 AM

I realized it is going to take me a while to learn how to use the box blade.  It seems to be harder than I thought.

As I pointed out in your other topic about what to buy they're difficult to level with because they are outside the wheel base.  If you're like me you'll eventually develop the motor skills to do a half way decent job.

You want to plan your attack so the tractor pitches up and down as little as possible.  Try and drag across the top of ridges rather than hitting them perpendicular.

• coxhaus said thank you

#14 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 02:37 PM

You want to plan your attack so the tractor pitches up and down as little as possible.  Try and drag across the top of ridges rather than hitting them perpendicular.

You last statement is what worked best for me not knowing what I was doing.  I will try to perfect it.  When I started I was just dragging along and it seemed to make it worst.  I sure spent a lot time in a small area. I had to try to push my mistakes back down.  If I could only become more fluid on hydraulic controls. It would help also.  I guess it comes with practice.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,989 Thanks
  • 47,156 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 04:54 PM

MiCarl is right. It takes a bit to  make these work like you want. You can also shorten/lengthen the top link to adjust how much it cuts. Shorter makes it cut more.. Another thing I do is figure how much I am going to 'cut'. I'll adjust the lower links of the 3-point so that all the way down is to that length (compared to the pins on the BB) before I hook the blade up. If more cut is needed later, adjust them down some.

• coxhaus said thank you