• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 805 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 10:46 PM

I'm thinking the 64 and 65 were 9hp and went b 10 in 64, big 10 in 65 and back to b 10 in 66, not positive on that but pretty sure there's a 9hp in there somewhere

#32 SimplyRad ONLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,200 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:22 AM

This might give you some insight as to what is what. It doesn't seem to show the years as the Simplicitys do.

#33 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • Member No: 89202
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 09:27 AM

Found a pic of the 76ish Gilson that was purchased for parts for the Montgomery Ward. This was the day I bought it. Thing is, I got it home and looked it over, and I think Ive come to the conclusion that its in too good of shape to be used as a parts tractor. Didn't play around with it much. Some funky wiring by a previous owner. It runs decent, but the carb needs attention. The deck is actually in fantastic condition, mows pretty good. Does not charge, haven't looked into it yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171030_170201.jpg

Edited by Joker on Jack, January 06, 2018 - 09:28 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#34 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,962 Thanks
  • 3,239 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 08:00 PM

Wiring is really funky on them to begin with. They have a dual circuit AC/DC charging system. 1 is Just for the headlights and the other is Just to charge the battery.

The headlight switch is Dual position. Up is headlights While running, Mid is Off and Down is Headlights while Not running. If you flip the switch Down while the tractor is running it will shut the tractor off so it doesn't bridge the dual circuit system and burn it up.

When I rewired 1 of my 16 Hydros and pulled everything out and wired the lights directly to the battery with a new switch.  I didn't hook the AC wire to anything. The wire with the Diode is the charging system, the wire without the diode is AC for the headlights.

If I remember correctly there are 2 other wires on that switch 6 total and they ground out the Magneto and shut the tractor off if you flip the switch down. Those 2 wires can be eliminated.

The bridge rectifier often fails if someone was messing with the wiring. It's located under the starter gear cover. They can be rebuilt.

• KennyP said thank you

#35 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • Member No: 89202
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 09:47 PM

Oh man I'm so glad you have some knowledge about this. I've been looking into it a little bit. I have no idea what happened to my montgomery ward, it was years ago when I was a kid. All I know is it shut off while it was running. I do know that it hasn't been messed with, and recently i discovered it has no rectifier under the starter cover. This has been puzzling me because I ran this thing for years and it always charged. Haven't traced any wiring yet. It has never been converted to an automotive coil either. The gilson in the pic has been converted(if you can call the hack job that a previous owner did a conversion) to an automotive coil, and it also has no rectifier under the starter cover.

I have read very little about the dual circuit alternator, and I am by no means familiar with it. If you can tolerate some questions, I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. And i watched that video a few weeks ago. But where can I get the one way resistors or whatever to rebuild the rectifier?

Edited by Joker on Jack, January 09, 2018 - 09:49 PM.