• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • Member No: 89202
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 05:23 PM

Ok, just took these pics today during a break in the snow. Here's the wheel horse 416-8, onan powered, 985 hours, rebuilt by onan at 800 hours. I am told its either a '93 or '94, (he couldnt remember which). I just got this tractor in October... for free, from the original owner with the owners manual. So far Ive got about 30 dollars into it, as it needed a voltage regulator when I got it. The hood needs some work, the fenders need work, a few things here and there need work, but overall this tractor is very sound. Its dirty and looks rough but I know that mechanically it has been maintained, I know the man it came from well.

Got it with a 42in right hand discharge deck that mows beautifully, but its getting rough. It also came with the front and rear wheel weights the previous owner made, I dont know what they weigh yet though. I picked the snow blade up from craigslist shortly after getting the tractor, and as you can see in 2 of the pics, I took it to work and made some shoes for it out of scrap stuff that we had laying around. They work wonderfully. I just sprayed them with some black paint just to keep them from getting too nasty over the winter. Next year I plan to sandblast the entire plow and repaint it. The grayish black paint on the plow blade is graphite paint applied by the previous owner, and it works great! Ill definitely be putting it on again after the plow is sandblasted.

And i just noticed that in one of the pictures, the illusive Northern Pennsylvania black wolf can be seen... Just kidding, thats our black german shepherd, Walker, laying in the snow... 1 1/2 years old, and 120 lbs of absolute spoiled brat... But an excellent companion and guard.

There are more tractors, and when I have some more time Ill put more pics up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171230_140620.jpg
  • 20171230_140532.jpg
  • 20171230_140522.jpg
  • 20171230_135705.jpg

Edited by Joker on Jack, December 30, 2017 - 05:32 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, jms180 and 11 others have said thanks

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,248 Thanks
  • 5,560 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Nice front and rear wheel weights.  :thumbs:

• boyscout862, James Bosma and Joker on Jack have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,546 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 05:46 PM

Good to see the tractor out earning it's keep!

• boyscout862, Mark 149 J. and Joker on Jack have said thanks

#4 truck21 OFFLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 503 Thanks
  • 286 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 06:13 PM

What part of pa are you from?

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,292 Thanks
  • 5,172 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 06:27 PM

Nice photos of a work in progress. My Gravely did not want to wake up to work today. Delayed snow removal...
  • truck21 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,459 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 06:31 PM

Love the GS. I have a now 9 year old saddle back female. She's spoiled and mouthy. Talks back all the time but extremely loyal. Nice horse also.20170302_113016.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, December 30, 2017 - 06:31 PM.

• boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp and Joker on Jack have said thanks

#7 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,484 Thanks
  • 1,552 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 06:59 PM

Nice machine you have there many year left in that work Horse 

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,994 Thanks
  • 1,336 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 04:20 AM

I like that Select "O" Shim option you got there fot your plow skids!

Edited by karel, December 31, 2017 - 04:20 AM.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Vrdaddy OFFLINE  

Vrdaddy
  • Member No: 86662
  • 49 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 06:42 AM

Thanks, good looking horse you have,I would have to say also that she's got a lot of life left in her. Couldn't help but notice ........ how on 2 of your pics, the gas can ain't far behind. She must love her fuel !
  • KennyP and James Bosma have said thanks

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,563 Thanks
  • 3,335 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 09:16 AM

Good looking rig earning her keep well. I like the selecto shim design too on the skid plates.
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 09:36 AM

I'm in Lycoming county.

#12 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 10:58 AM

I cant figure out how to quote people, so I'll just reply to everyone this way.

To the folks talking about the washers for height adjustment: I would love to take credit for having some stroke of genius in the way this is set up, haha, but this is essentially just a smaller version of what you'd find on most any full size plow for a pickup, I just copied.

When I started looking around for a snow plow for this tractor, I couldnt believe the wheel horse plows didnt have shoes, not even the "ski" type shoe. Some of what I plow is gravel, and i really dont want to scrape all that up when plowing. So I just planned on making a set of shoes whenever I found an unabused, unbent plow for the right price.

When i got a plow I loaded the tractor and plow up, took them to work, and made the shoes. I opted for the round style shoes because I dont like the fact that with the ski type shoe, one needs tools to change the height setting. I also dont like that this style is usually stationary, versus the round style that is free to rotate and float. Just seems like a better design to me. Took maybe an hour or so.

Some 3/16 plate plasma'd into 4"(I think) circular pieces and pressed into a slight dome shape, 2 pieces of spare rebar with holes drilled for clevis pins, 2 pieces of steel pipe(cant remember diameter), and a bunch of washers. Cleaned everything up good, measured about 400 times, and welded it all up. Turned out ok I think.

About the gas can: You know, I really am surprised at how good that onan twin 16 is on fuel. I figured when i got it that it was just going to suck the fuel right down, but it really isnt bad. I have a Vertical shaft vtwin briggs in a 2009 Allis Chalmers and that thing ought to have a gas station attached to it!!!

About the dog: I'll post some pics of him, he's a real character...

• KennyP said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,546 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 11:14 AM

I cant figure out how to quote people, so I'll just reply to everyone this way.

To the folks talking about the washers for height adjustment: I would love to take credit for having some stroke of genius in the way this is set up, haha, but this is essentially just a smaller version of what you'd find on most any full size plow for a pickup, I just copied.

When I started looking around for a snow plow for this tractor, I couldnt believe the wheel horse plows didnt have shoes, not even the "ski" type shoe. Some of what I plow is gravel, and i really dont want to scrape all that up when plowing. So I just planned on making a set of shoes whenever I found an unabused, unbent plow for the right price.

When i got a plow I loaded the tractor and plow up, took them to work, and made the shoes. I opted for the round style shoes because I dont like the fact that with the ski type shoe, one needs tools to change the height setting. I also dont like that this style is usually stationary, versus the round style that is free to rotate and float. Just seems like a better design to me. Took maybe an hour or so.

Some 3/16 plate plasma'd into 4"(I think) circular pieces and pressed into a slight dome shape, 2 pieces of spare rebar with holes drilled for clevis pins, 2 pieces of steel pipe(cant remember diameter), and a bunch of washers. Cleaned everything up good, measured about 400 times, and welded it all up. Turned out ok I think.

About the gas can: You know, I really am surprised at how good that onan twin 16 is on fuel. I figured when i got it that it was just going to suck the fuel right down, but it really isnt bad. I have a Vertical shaft vtwin briggs in a 2009 Allis Chalmers and that thing ought to have a gas station attached to it!!!

About the dog: I'll post some pics of him, he's a real character...

Just below the Thanks button is the Quote button. Multiquote lets you do several posts in one.

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 Joker on Jack OFFLINE  

Joker on Jack
  • 36 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 10:12 AM

Yea, I hit the buttons but all that happens is it takes me right to the bottom of the page where I'm typing right now. No quotes or anyone's name or anything shows up, it's just blank
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,546 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 10:39 AM

Yea, I hit the buttons but all that happens is it takes me right to the bottom of the page where I'm typing right now. No quotes or anyone's name or anything shows up, it's just blank

Are you using a phone? That may be part of the issue. And I know nothing about that.