• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 apricot OFFLINE  

apricot
  • Member No: 89205
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:06 PM

I have a late 90's, early aughts GX335 with the 20hp air-cooled kawasaki twin ~1100 hours.  There's a horrible bearing noise coming from the engine once every few months.  Noise is very intermittent, but dreadful (a growling howl - I assume some bearing is failing).

So, I've been looking on craigslist for used engines.  Is there a general rule of thumb about which engines are compatible?  Do the all of the air-cooled twins have the same bolt pattern etc?  One prospect is a GT235 w/ 17hp kawasaki - I can't imagine the difference in hp really matters for mowing the lawn or cutting grass...

Any thoughts appreciated!  

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,559 Thanks
  • 9,434 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:21 PM

Welcome to GTT. I don't know the answers to your questions but some knowledgeable people will be along. You might be able to find the engine manual in our Manuals Section. In general, you probably can find another brand of engine to fit in there but it may take some work to make it fit. The other choice is to overhaul that engine before it blows. The only difference that the lower hp might cause would be that you have to drive a little bit slower when mowing heavy grass. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, December 28, 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#3 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 142 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:27 PM

if the engine is the same RPM rating and bolt pattern it should work but it might lug down more with 3 less horse power. just remember to check the RPM rating sure hate for it to blow up.

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,765 Thanks
  • 1,681 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:47 PM

you may want to take a look at a place like Small Engine Warehouse for replacement. They can tell you what engines will fit.

http://www.smallengi...e-335-Category/

http://www.tractorda...335-engine.html

Edited by jms180, December 28, 2017 - 08:02 PM.

• Trav1s said thank you

#5 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,160 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:53 PM

I am not familiar with the engine you have but the symptoms you are describing do not sound like an engine bearing to me. See if you can find the engine manual in the manuals section, third tab from the left top of this page. From your description the first thing I would do is pull the tins of and look for things fowling with the fly wheel, fan ring gear. Check idler pulleys. Starter disengaging properly. Assuming a problem is a really good way to throw away money. Welcome to the forum, good luck with your problem. The more information you can give the more likely it will jog someones memory to get the answer. How is oil consumption, power, fuel consumption. Is it a one owner machine, how has maintenance been. 1000 is not an insane amount of hours for an air cooled engine, many have run a lot more but with poor maintenance many have run a lot less. Don 

• Alc and MiCarl have said thanks

#6 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 606 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 12:00 AM

I agree an engine bearing would be constant

sounding like a deck bearing or bearing in a pulley

and to try and answer bolt pattern

I would assume the pattern would be the same

on the 2 engines

and if not a new hole is easy to drill

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,310 Thanks
  • 6,392 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 01:47 AM

I can't help but wonder if the starter bendix is staying engaged once in awhile and that's what your hearing. 

• Alc said thank you

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,823 Thanks
  • 5,102 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 05:39 AM

I'll tell you a funny one about an "intermittent noise".....

An old Minneapolis Moline farm tractor that I take care of for an old widow lady had an absolutely terrible grinding/growling noise at certain RPM's - sometimes low/sometimes high.  Didn't matter what gear, or if moving or stopped,  but was bad enough it was hard to sit in the seat.  It rattled my brain.  [assuming I have one]

While motoring the tractor[s] to and from the show grounds for the local tractor show the deceased's brother, who was helping, asked  what was going on.  I said that noise has always been there since I've been taking care of the tractors.  He said when we get time we'll have to tear into the rearend to see whats going on. 

This went on for several years.  The tractors only got out of their shed once a year for the local tractor show.  Minimal maintenance,  I'd just check the oils, antifreeze, tires and charge the old 6 volt batteries and run them. 

The brother was standing there listening to the horrible noise one day at the show and he put his foot on the drawbar and the noise stopped.  

All the noise was - was the engine vibration resonating through the drawbar and being amplified like a speaker.  I grabbed a small piece of wood and drove it in the drawbar cradle to take up all the slack and its been quiet ever-since. 

:thumbs:

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,151 Thanks
  • 10,212 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 03:22 PM

I am not familiar with the engine you have but the symptoms you are describing do not sound like an engine bearing to me. See if you can find the engine manual in the manuals section, third tab from the left top of this page. From your description the first thing I would do is pull the tins of and look for things fowling with the fly wheel, fan ring gear. Check idler pulleys. Starter disengaging properly. Assuming a problem is a really good way to throw away money.

Could even be a clutch. Then if you get rid of the engine and keep the clutch, you still have the problem. You need to do some serious trouble shooting.

• Cvans said thank you

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,310 Thanks
  • 6,392 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 12:02 AM

Could also be a dry bearing in an idler pulley. Going to have to isolate where the noise is coming from.