• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 115 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 04:16 PM

I have a large garden which I am getting to old to maintain by hand any more.  I bought a Power King garden tractor to do mower duties and garden duties.  I am trying to figure out a blade, a rake, and a box blade.  I have been gardening for 10 years in the same spot so my soil is soft.  The garden has become uneven and needs to be leveled.  The other problem is when part of the garden is not planted it grows weeds.  I am looking for something to drag across the small weeds in the unplanted part to weed it and level it.  A plus would be but not the most important, is I have lots of pine straw with pine cones in my grass yard.  It would be nice to drag or pull something to pick up the pine cones and straw.  I don't want to buy a whole lot of different implements if I can avoid it.  The blade is lot cheaper then a rake at tractor Supply.  I don't know what a box blade costs.

I don't if a small blade for a garden tractor would be so light that it would float on the grass and not dig it up so it would act like a rake.

I don't know if you can use a rake to level a garden.

The other thing I don't know it a Power King 2414 tractor can pull a box blade.  Which might be the best solution for the garden.

Has anybody used these tools?  What works with a garden tractor?

Edited by coxhaus, December 28, 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#2 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 502 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 04:48 PM

In my opinion a rake would be the best choice, The blade and box scraper would tend to ride over your pine needles and some of your weeds. You can level with a rake, it takes some practice but it can be done. If you get a rake the best one to get would be one with gauge wheels behind the rake, you can use the wheels to help change the angle of attack that the rake teeth are at plus they help with leveling.

• boyscout862, Mark 149 J. and coxhaus have said thanks

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,001 Thanks
  • 1,045 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 04:51 PM

It's difficult to level anything with a front blade, back blade or box blade.  Every little dip or ridge the tractor traverses changes the blade height a lot.

Box blade is the tool if you're trying to move soil some distance.  My Speedex is about the same weight as your Power King and it has no trouble pulling a 40" box blade.through loose soil.  Soil will spill out the ends and over the top before traction is lost.  If the soil is compacted it will just bounce on top though.  Cannot put much down pressure on it without losing traction.

When I had to grade my back yard after a remodel I finished by dragging a 3'x5' chain link fence gate (Home Depot) over it repeatedly.  It acts a bit like a grater knocking the high spots down and the soil falls into the low spots.

• Alc, boyscout862, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,172 Thanks
  • 45,835 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 05:18 PM

I just picked up a dethatcher that could be used for some raking. Made my own rake and box blade. The box blade weights in at 150 lbs. and has 6 teeth across the front. Very heavy duty compared to what you can buy now-a-days! Considering what you want to do, you'll need both types of implements.

• boyscout862, Mark 149 J. and coxhaus have said thanks

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 2,071 Thanks
  • 1,544 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 05:29 PM

like MiCarl stated  - chain link fence works

I nailed section of chain link fence to a wood pallet and drag it across the garden and it helps level the garden.

What kind of rake are you look at?

I have a Estate Yard Rake that I use to rake my yard with to get rid of walnut leave stems and it work okay. I have the wind row type.

I have seen two types of Estare Yard Rakes - one is a V type and other wind rows (straight line)

rake1.png

rake2.png

there also a land scape rake

rake4.png

Edited by lyall, December 28, 2017 - 05:34 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp and 2 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,812 Thanks
  • 9,151 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:15 PM

The landscape rake(aka York Rake) is what you want. Because the tines are suspended inbetween the wheels and the hitch, it will work better at leveling. It can rake crap out of the lawn without makeing a mess. My 4' York Rake came with a blade that swings down to work infront of the tines. Good Luck, Rick

• Leonard VanCamp and coxhaus have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,088 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 08:17 AM

For leveling get one section of a harrow.  Point angle is adjustable and has solid side frame to keep the whole thing level.  Usually very inexpensive too.

• coxhaus said thank you

#8 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • 115 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 12:20 PM

Sorry I was gone yesterday after posting but I had to get some tires put on my tractor cart and then off to a poker game.

My original thoughts were I was comparing the Countyline sub-compact attachments at Tractor Supply which was the rear 3 pt blade, 3 pt landscape rake, and 3 pt box blade.  

Sounds like if I buy a landscape rake I will need wheels over a 3 pt hitch. Where do you buy a landscape rake with wheels for a garden tractor?

I may have miss spoke on leveling in that a lot of my dirt has moved from the center to the sides from using a Troy built tiller for 10 years so I need to move dirt back to the center. In some areas it may be 3 or 4 inches higher.

I noticed I could buy a rear blade and a lawn sweeper for what the landscape rake and box blade cost.  I don't know if the Tractor Supply lawn sweeper would pickup pine cones.

Does this change things?  Still looking for a good way to accomplish this.

Edited by coxhaus, December 29, 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#9 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,192 Thanks
  • 1,410 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 01:03 PM

You can add plates to the ends of the rear blade for moving dirt. It sounds like the soil is loose enough that the rippers for a box blade wont be needed. Not sure if it will work on pine needles, but I used a push mower with a bagger to clean up small twigs after an ice storm several years ago. I had it on the lowest setting and didn't try to work it too hard

• coxhaus said thank you

#10 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • 115 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 06:15 PM

Well I found a used John Deere 4 ft box blade in nice shape on Craigslist.  I guess I will buy it as it is cheaper than Tractor Supply. I hope I am making the right decision.

Edited by coxhaus, December 29, 2017 - 06:29 PM.

• secondtry said thank you

#11 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,365 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 07:44 PM

Well I found a used John Deere 4 ft box blade in nice shape on Craigslist.  I guess I will buy it as it is cheaper than Tractor Supply. I hope I am making the right decision.

If you can get it at a good price you can sell it at a good price so you are only out the effort. My first back blade cost me $100.and it was in need of repairs. Turns out it was to light duty for my purposes but after repairs I am sure it is worth $200. If I hadn't done the repairs my self it would have cost me a fortune. but from where it the value can only go up. Don

• coxhaus said thank you

#12 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • 115 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 01:02 PM

So I pickup the John Deere 4 ft box blade this morning.  It has CAT 1 pins so I need to figure out what to buy to change them to CAT 0 for my Power King tractor.

If anybody knows or has a picture it would help as my guys at my Tractor Supply don't know.  But my Tractor Supply has only been open for a few weeks. It is brand new.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,192 Thanks
  • 1,410 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 01:54 PM

Cat0 pins are 5/8". Cat1 are 3/4. They should be labeled as Cat0 on the packaging. If it is a true Cat1 blade, it may be too wide for the Cat0 lift arms

• coxhaus said thank you

#14 coxhaus ONLINE  

coxhaus
  • 115 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:59 AM

It turns out John Deere has the CAT 0 pins as an option for the BB2048L box blade.  I was able to talk to my local John Deere dealership today and they have the pins for $5 apiece.  

I finally read the John Deere official description about my BB2048L box blade. And it states the CAT 0 pin is an option with a part number on their parts break down.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks