3 replies to this topic

#1 Madcap30 OFFLINE  

Madcap30
  • Member No: 89179
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hi All, 

I am still learning about MF tractors before I buy one. I am looking at a MF12 as my other machines are bigger Kohler units. 

How do the Variable Speed drives work? Are they a typical gear box? I was under the impression that it was some type of belt drive. 

Another question....all things being equal between two tractors, would there be any reason to chose the vari-speed over a hydro?

Lastly, how hard is it to find a set of the wheel covers for these tractors?

Thanks

Adam

Edited by Madcap30, December 28, 2017 - 03:30 PM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15273 Thanks
  • 10026 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:09 PM

I'm not sure about the vari drive on MF but on my Simplicity it is variable pulleys and a belt. It can be a PIA to keep adjusted and expensive for a new belt. I'd go with the hydro. Wheel covers come up occassionally in a wide variety of conditions. On Epay they are very expensive. I have gotten some on the GTs that I buy. The last set had actually rotted through in small spots. Good Luck, Rick
  • MFDAC said thank you

#3 Madcap30 OFFLINE  

Madcap30
  • Member No: 89179
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Rick! I would imagine that the wheel covers would rot if the tractors saw much snow duty. 

I see some of the Techumseh engines that have what looks like a belt running off the outside of the flywheel under the shroud, while other just have a small bump for a starter bendix. Did some of them have a starter/ generator like to Kohler engines?

• limebuzz said thank you

#4 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3708 Thanks
  • 1771 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hello Adam. The vari-speed is pretty much a pulley for two wide belts that has a center shiv that floats back and forth laterally. It isn't too bad to keep adjusted in my case at least. Occasionally, as the belts wear, the transaxle pulley needs shimming to keep the rear belt tensioner adjusted within it's correct range.

I had to re-power my 12G with a Honda clone engine and was able to get the vari-speed setup working fine with this new engine.

If you go to the "manuals" page on this site, you may be able to download the MF12G manual which explains all that adjusting stuff.

These pics are the vari-speed pulley from my 1975 MF12G

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• MF12 vari drive 001.jpg
  • MF12 vari drive 002.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you