63 replies to this topic

#61 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • Member No: 89144
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 06:13 PM

And about the Chevy not starting...
It seems strange that what ever job I have had over the years, back when I worked at Sears auto center, we had a service advisor who would whine about what I drove worse than the sound of my old Dodge starters.... He was a die hard Chevy guy... And was one of the closest living employees to the shop.... Yet when it got this cold or being snowed in. he was one of the most likely to call off.... And those of us who lived farthest away always seemed most likely to make it in to work... I remember a few different Chevy's that he had over the 10 years of my working there I can say that it might have been the car sometimes but every time? Even as a die hard Dodge guy, I wasn't born yesterday, it couldn't have been the car's fault every time.... Though I did make it in many times that old Vern didn't

That was the first time ever I had a Chevy not start below zero. Now last night when it was -10....started right up. Putting Heet in the tank helped it alot. I knew it should have been in there...but it usually dont get that cold here. If I had been up home....first thing in the tank as it gets cold...every fill up would have been a bottle of Heet in the tank.

#62 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,459 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:13 PM

I've never used any winter additives in my vehicles. I drive all Chevys and (knock on wood) never had one fail to start on me. Wifes Suburban started right up in -10 F although you could here everything growl about moving haha. I even growled a bit once I hit that air.

We got a heat wave today. Of this week, so got the shop heat on to get a little night work done. Gotta friends atv to finish up. I need the space.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • KennyP said thank you

#63 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 11:22 PM

ok... back down to -5, highest I saw today was +9..... supposed to be around +30* tomorrow and sleet/snow mix....  by Wed and Thurs, they are talking 41*...ABOVE!    that's an improvement....  had to park the 2 tractors outside for a while today, My son needed the garage for a few hours due to a blown wheel cylinder.... great/ comes back "when he needs something" but not when I need something/ figures.....   so after sitting out for about 8 hours, went out at -5 to start them to get them back inside.... S16 started, GT19 didn't.....  somehow now weak spark.... went to pull the point cover off and busted the part of the movable point off that holds the screw that holds the wire to the points... so it will sit outside overnite....  stopped cranking with the key before I discovered the weak spark... points were brand new OEM Kohler, less than 4 hours' run time since they have been installed but it has been 3 years or so ago.... the cold sure makes things brittle.  

spent today helping the kid get his brakes fixed, back n forth between that and trying to get my snow blower attachment reassembled that is supposed to go onto that GT19....  got my chains for the S16 today and got them on, so far they are staying put....and then had to clean up the swamp that the kid created from his truck thawing out inside the garage.... another reason I hate winter.....

• KennyP said thank you

#64 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • Member No: 89144
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 09:44 AM

I went out this morning and everything but the snowblower started. I worked on the racing mower and its up and going. New carb...new pulleys...new rear tires. Had to try it out. Blasted out of the garage and hit the yard. I used to have grass in the back yard. Old lady is mad as hell at me about tearing up the back yard. I told her at least we wont have to mow it. LOL

• KennyP and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks