• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • Member No: 89144
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 10:37 AM

Well it got up to 10 this morning. The Ariens started up no problem. All but 2 started. Not worried about those 2. They are projects.

#32 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • Member No: 89144
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 10:52 AM

This cold doesn't work well for as my feet and hands get cold quickly and that only has been since I had a heart attack some years ago.

I had a heart attack 6 years ago. My feet and hands have always gotten cold. Way before the heart attack. So I wouldnt know if I am having a problem now. I grew up in NW Indiana on a farm. From late September to April you can expect cold. Lake effect snow. snow comes and its the cold we got here now.

#33 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,563 Thanks
  • 3,335 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 11:06 AM

We've been around 7 & 9 the last couple mornings & up to around 18-20 in the afternoon. I could only get the shop up to 40 yesterday. I sure wished I had insulated back in the summer like I wanted to.

#34 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,565 Thanks
  • 7,882 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 02:28 PM

Cold  here too, boiler running alot, not breaking, City had main break right downtown, friends have gas run out and freezing pipes, glad not them, the dummies!  I had Deere and blade out just before holiday and did try the PK blower on drive and in back drive. I don't go anywhere, just sitting in my place all warm, doing facebook and here, tv all night, and a few drinks.  What? You guys working?  I'm off till the 2nd, still getting paid, just to jam that back at ya!   Wife works for school, not till the next week to start there, kinda weird.  Have to get back to work to pay for Propane here, hate that part of winter!

• KennyP said thank you

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,541 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 04:30 PM

I'm thinking the real cold hasn't hit as yet! This is just the highly refrigerated air we are getting!

#36 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,167 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 04:54 PM

I'm thinking the real cold hasn't hit as yet! This is just the highly refrigerated air we are getting!

Yeah its still December, we got 2 more months to whine about the cold, it was 12 when i left this morning and 15 coming home tonight in nj

Edited by jabelman, December 28, 2017 - 04:54 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,541 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 04:58 PM

Yeah its still December, we got 2 more months to whine about the cold, it was 12 when i left this morning and 15 coming home tonight in nj

Usually, our coldest time is mid Jan. through Feb!

#38 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Usually, our coldest time is mid Jan. through Feb!

Time to start looking for  a snow blower for Alice?

• KennyP said thank you

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,541 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 05:28 PM

Time to start looking for  a snow blower for Alice?

Nope! Got a neighbor with a JD across the street. Has a loader & box blade. Clears the drive quicker and better than I could! Plus I don't have to be out there!

• 29 Chev said thank you

#40 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 05:32 PM

Nope! Got a neighbor with a JD across the street. Has a loader & box blade. Clears the drive quicker and better than I could! Plus I don't have to be out there!

But just think of the nice "warm" seat time you could be missing out on.  I got two hours plus today - boy was it fun - now I am in warm up mode  :beer:

• KennyP said thank you

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,541 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 05:38 PM

I get lots of 'warm seat time' sitting here bantering with you folks! This old fart is no fool! Been around too many years! Spent my share of time in the cold, don't care to do anymore than I have to now!

• 29 Chev said thank you

#42 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,309 Thanks
  • 1,408 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 05:42 PM

Deep freeze. lMAO. I be hitting the slopes in the morning although should be warmer than the -40 the last couple nights.  Got all warm and fuzzy knowing it was warmer at the North Pole last couple days

Attached Thumbnails

• 6F7D3A56-1EBD-4B99-902E-C55AE6856549.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, December 28, 2017 - 05:43 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#43 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 10:02 AM

woke up to +7* this morning, not fun.

I'm out to try the S16H, for the 1st time after having rewired it, sealed up some oil leaks, and put the plow that came to me with my GT19 onto it, along with some chains that I have had laying around forever onto it, they barely wrap around the edge, I think they may be made for 8.50 wide tires while I have10.50's.... I also put 7 gallons of washer fluid in each back tire, I haven't put my weights on there yet.... I'm not wanting to get the Deere walk behind snow blower out as it's cold enough without being covered with blown snow. 

but that machine is currently "plan B". 

After clearing both driveways  and probably a couple of the neighbor's,  it'll, be into the garage, crank up the Modine hanging heater (100,000 BTu barely keeps up in that garage when it is this cold out)  and start reassembly of my 48" Ariens snow blower attachment so I can get that unit onto my GT19 for the next snow, that truthfully I hope doesn't come. depending on how the blade and blower work out I *may* try to sell the Deere walk behind (which is really an Ariens built machine under that green paint)

• KennyP said thank you

#44 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 12:57 PM

Failed experiment. Chain came off the left side completely within 12 feet, the one on the right was halfway off. Turfs+ 15 gallons of washer fluid between them and I sat and spun. I got 2 swipes most of the length of the driveway, the sidewalk is a couple of inches above the settled gravel one spot where the driveway meets the road there's about a 3 to 3-1/2" hole... I got there and that was it. I got the tractor onto the road and tried to push my newly made pile off to the side and no dice. This was 5" of pretty light mostly fluffy snow wound up having to get the Deere walk behind out to do the job
And to help the tractor even more was that I had just moved my 2wd Dakota for the 1st time since before Christmas, before the last round of snow so that was a whole truck sized spot of bare gravel where there was no snow there to have to move. (We have been driving the 4wd Dakota and the Wrangler a bunch lately)
I have 2 sets of IH wheel weights that I was saving for the GT19 and its bar treads for when I get that 48" blower back together. Looks like I gotta go chain shopping and put at least 1 set of my IH weights on to this machine for it to be and good pushing snow

Edited by dodge trucker, December 30, 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#45 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 5,171 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 01:37 PM

I found that a chunk of concrete hanging on the 3 point does wonders for traction.
  • dodge trucker said thank you