8 replies to this topic

#1 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,729 Thanks
  • 929 posts

Posted December 26, 2017 - 05:16 PM

GlIeKFq.jpg

You know you're "tractor desperate" when you're out at 12:30 AM midnight on Christmas moving snow.

It was Christmas Eve, and rather than going to bed at 12:00 AM after getting home from a late night family get-together, the appeal of night snow removal was just too appealing not to embrace upon. I'm not sure why, but there is some certain

allure to switching the headlights on and moving snow at night with your tractor; perhaps an apogee in the hobby of GT ownership? Anyway, yes, to answer the obvious, snow would still be there the next morning, but, we don't always get a decent snowfall in the lowlands every year so taking advantage - every minute - of this ripe opportunity was absolutely crucial here- even if that meant delaying Santa's arrival to the neighborhood a few more minutes.

So, as in typical motorcycle pre-ride fashion, I fired up the engine to let it run for a bit while I put on my layers, I then pulled the headlight switch, and eased out into the backyard. With the Eaton 12 whirring away and my headlights shining into the glistening snowfall, I told myself "get a grip, Austen,you've been waiting for this very moment for years but contain yourself!"; first things first, we must do the obligatory unscientific traction test to determine our snow travel capabilities. An inclined driveway should do the trick. After starting from a stop on the incline in reverse, I found it to have respectable traction, better yet, easy to modulate which you cannot always do so well with a gear-driven unit. For example, when the tires would start to break traction and you'd feel the "thumpty-thump-thump" (pun intended) on either side from each tire lug starting to let go, I would ease back on the Treadle-Pedal and they would usually start to hook up again with some diligence. I sort of felt like I was "walking the machine" each time I would do this. I couldn't help but think what an advantageous attribute; time for another pat on the hood for Bolens tractor capabilities and design functionality.

After a half-hour of some night-time snow removal pleasure, it occurred to me that it might best to put the whirring Eaton 12 to bed to not deter Santa away for too much longer. Luckily for him, I have no such way of getting the tractor on the roof to clear snow there *too!* so to his benefit, he could surely still glide across the roof easily.

Normally, if there is any sleep that one loses Christmas Eve night it would be due to impatience from wondering what's going to be under the tree the next morning.

Me?

Well, that excitement and curiosity switched to the anticipation of snow removal I'd have with the Bolens the next morning!  :D  Instead of opening the window shades every two minutes looking for that light in the sky, I was crossing my fingers for more snow fall so that my previous clearing of snow would "need" to be redone once again in the morning.

7ScSzpG.jpg

4Ve1Wt1.jpg

wnTJQVB.jpg

dBqxbO3.jpg

Edited by Austen, December 28, 2017 - 04:09 AM.

• Gtractor, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 13 others have said thanks

#2 Clevis OFFLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 290 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted December 26, 2017 - 05:24 PM

Looks like you had a white and happy Christmas, Austen. Happy New Year!
  • Austen said thank you

#3 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 9,970 Thanks
  • 3,230 posts

Posted December 26, 2017 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for sharing what some might consider a very weird "Bolens Bug" addiction story with us - any seat time is "good time" if you enjoy it.

Those pictures look absolutely beautiful and will be part of your 2017 memories for years to come. 

• Austen and RustyB have said thanks

#4 firedudetl1 ONLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 192 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted December 26, 2017 - 06:12 PM

looks like you had fun-now you're tempting me to get my 1477 with the Johnson loader out in the snow for some work -

• Austen and RustyB have said thanks

#5 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,419 Thanks
  • 801 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 04:20 AM

Is this the Bolens version of "The Night Before Christmas"... :D Here in the south towns of Buffalo NY we've had are fair share of snow already! We got nailed with 2ft Christmas day and the snow started around 3pm and slowed up around 11pm. I spent 2hrs outside yesterday afternoon digging out. Another 7-14" is forecasted still till 7pm tonight. Your 1886 is one of my favorite tractors! Can't believe it will be going to a new home someday soon! I was a little upset when it wasn't sitting next to the Christmas tree at my house on Christmas Moring. I guess my wife didn't read the 1st line on my Christmas present list! :wallbanging: :rolling: Hopefully the new owner keeps it as nice as you have and is a member here so we can keep tabs on it!

• blackjackjakexxix and Austen have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,875 Thanks
  • 6,910 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 08:15 AM

You guys out East are really getting hammered with snow.  Only 3", give or take here and not enough to get me excited about moving it.  Dry stuff so can move anywhere without any problems.  Woke up this morning to -15° F, no wind.  Have the granddaughter so while I keep her busy The chore gal will take a short walk to the animal barn and feed her cats and the 6 Pygmy goats.  I keep the fireplace going and clean the basement multi fuel stove later.  Another 1' possible today and that will stay right where it falls.  I like seat time as well as the next guy but I do have limitations.

• LPBolens and KennyP have said thanks

#7 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,419 Thanks
  • 972 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 09:26 AM

Only "drive-over" dry snow here, and too cold to bother with it anyway. My Bolens bug only goes just so far!

• Austen said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,257 Thanks
  • 10,106 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 10:57 AM

Once again, for clarification sakes, you are going to do what with that tractor?

Sell it, if I remember correctly; yes?
  • Austen and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#9 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,684 Thanks
  • 1,507 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 01:14 PM

Once again, for clarification sakes, you are going to do what with that tractor?

Sell it, if I remember correctly; yes?

I agree!

Nice pictures of your soon to be gone tractor Austen! :poke:

• Austen said thank you