• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,341 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 08:46 AM

The bolt issue on the rearend is common with the aluminum rearend supers, after you fix them it is highly recommended that you add some SGT braces from Xtreme, they will keep the rearend tight so you won't have a problem again.

http://www.xtrememot...-Cub-Cadet.html
  • KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#17 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,124 Thanks
  • 7,530 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 11:31 AM

When my friend said a bolt was stripped in the rear and someone added a brace I thought it was the axle housing tube bolts but now it makes more sense it’s the top mounting bolt or bolts that will need repairs I’m out of town visiting but I’ll get a better idea what’s needs to be done when I get back

#18 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,935 Thanks
  • 6,579 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 03:35 PM

Good luck with the new tractor Al.  It looks too good to scrap.  Hopefully all quick fixes.

#19 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,124 Thanks
  • 7,530 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 06:37 AM

First day above freezing since I brought it home . Still on the trailer but pulled the tunnel cover off to see what broke on the driveshaft and it looks like just the rear rubber coupler , it reminds me of a steering column rag joint . Nothing left of the fan and the hydraulic lines are completely smashed .  Really not as bad as I thought . I want to pressure wash it then bring it inside to see if I can get the engine started .

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,110 Thanks
  • 46,756 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 06:54 AM

Ouch! Found the fan and discs part #s. Not sure which lines you'll need.

Fan-----731-3013

Discs---722-3000 (X2 on each end)

• Alc and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#21 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,124 Thanks
  • 7,530 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 06:35 AM

Between the cold weather and not feeling all that great the last few weeks I finely got the driveshaft off to see what all needs to be done with that and what lines were broken  . The one steel line was wrapped around the driveshaft LOL .  It looks like just that one , I should be able to make up a hose instead of the steel for now to make sure everything works . This is the first Cub driveshaft that I ever looked at close up . To be honest it looks like a pretty cheesy set-up . The bolts holding the rubber discs look like they have been changed so this isn't the first time this has happened . The front rubber wasn't broken but was twisted up and will be getting replaced too  The tractor only cut grass I can't imagine how those discs would hold up if it had a fel , dirt or snow plow

#22 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,691 Thanks
  • 1,510 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 10:23 AM

I would agree about the Cub driveshafts.  I wish they would have used something more durable like actual U-joints.  I upgraded my 149 to u-joints.  They seems to be holdup great.  

Glad only one line was damaged.  Should make it easier on the wallet.  I really like the looks of the Super Cubs.  I missed an opportunity to buy one with a Kubota gas engine for $400 last year.  I kick myself have time I thing about that.  Good luck!

• Alc said thank you

#23 spudder OFFLINE  

spudder
  • Member No: 87474
  • 37 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 09:29 AM

Alc, go over to Only Cub Cadets site. There are several threads addressing the drive shaft woes of the 82 series tractors. There is a man called Sam Mac that is most helpful on lots of Cub related issues. He has come up with a better drive shaft set up that eliminates the "rag joint" in the driveline. His conversion uses the drive shaft from a later "Cyclops" Cub. Some of these tractors use exactly the same engine as your 1872. These later drive shafts use a CV joint type connection at each end. It's a simple conversion. The hardest part is center drilling and tapping the input shaft of the hydro for a bolt to hold the CV joint adapter flange. The CV joint drive shaft is so much better than the original!

Please go over and research this conversion, there is a sticky at the top which shows a lot of Sam Mac's projects. Do a search for drive shaft conversions. I think you will be glad you did. Tim

• Alc, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks