• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • Member No: 89144
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 12:53 AM

A guy has offered me a GT20 frame and motor. When i say frame...mean every last nut bolt and screw has been removed except the motor. Motor runs...but smokes.

My question here is can I put this motor back onto my GT14? I mean rebuild it...make it a little more powerful....drop it back on the GT14.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 07:55 AM

Youd have to cut/ notch the frame. the 20 is a twin where the 14 has a single cyl.  the ones that came with twins have a slightly different frame. 

If the price is right take it and take advantage of it being apart and redo it.... paint it up and use the GT14 as your "mule".  Is this GT20 complete? 

My GT19 was a smoker. I fixed it w/o a teardown. It needed a new breather.  (the Magnums and KT series Kohler twins used the same part) 

How complete is the GT20? Does the person who offered it to you have everything for it?   Any extras come with it? (3 pt, tiller, blower etc?) 

Another reason I'd grab it.... I think the GT20s were all power steering models.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 5,171 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 09:06 AM

Agree that the frame needs cut for the larger engine. Can be done, but it will be more than just a bolt in.

#4 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 12:23 PM

Its a frame and a motor guys. When I say frame...I mean a frame with nothing attached to it. Except the motor. Everything is gone...even the wiring. No sheet metal. No trans axle. No steering components. No console. Nothing. Just the motor and the frame.

• shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 06:21 PM

look at that frame under the cylinder jugs and then look at the frame on your GT14 in the same place and you will see what we mean.... you might be better robbing the parts from the Gt14 and swapping to the GT20 carcass

#6 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 25, 2017 - 01:14 AM

I had thought about the possibility of the swap parts from the 14 to the 20.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 11:49 AM

So did the rest of the parts get put on another machine or did they get scrapped or something like that? If the guy can come up with those power steering parts in his stash to throw in, it will spoil you

Edited by dodge trucker, December 28, 2017 - 11:51 AM.

#8 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 01:24 AM

So did the rest of the parts get put on another machine or did they get scrapped or something like that? If the guy can come up with those power steering parts in his stash to throw in, it will spoil you

He said something about he wanted the parts for another tractor. I wasnt going to go any further with the convo on what he did with the rest of it since he has offered it to me for nothing.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 5,171 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 06:02 AM

I think it would be easier to cut the frame on the 14 than to build off the GT20 frame. Especially with a pattern right there on the free frame.

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 07:22 AM

probably wouldn't hurt  to cut the reinforcements off the 20hp frame that extend under the jugs of the twin and weld them onto the 14hp frame....

• KennyP and shorty have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,541 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 07:49 AM

probably wouldn't hurt  to cut the reinforcements off the 20hp frame that extend under the jugs of the twin and weld them onto the 14hp frame....

Not familiar with the frames on these, but that sounds like a it would help. Don't want it trying to bend in that area!