• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Was just GTT'ing, then all of a sudden warnings start coming up about infections. A program claiming to be Win 7 protection said I had worms & viruses and wanted $79 for a lifetime license for full protection. Wouldn't let me use any browser & blocked my mail. Working quick, after many attempts I finally got my restore program to open. It was doing it's best from allowing me to get past it. Got everything back as it was on June 29th, and I'm rolling again. :bounce:

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:24 PM

Where did you end up getting the virus from?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:25 PM

I can't stand that virus, technically it isn't considered a virus but malware. A lot of times it is called something like AV360. It is a pain to get rid of unless you do like you did a restore from a previous restore point.

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:26 PM

I've had stuff like that pop up on my computer also, you don't know if it real or not.
I always think somebody trying to scam me.
Once it was so bad I had to send the computer in and get it cleaned out, in that case I opened an attachment that was emailed to me. I never do that any more unless I know who sent it.

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Glad you're up and running again, Daniel.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:47 PM

I'm not really sure where it came from. Likely my email, as a LOT of scam-mail has been getting past my server provided filters. That filter is on the server's site & has been getting stuffed full of viruses & scam mail the last 2 weeks.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 09:17 PM

We were getting hammered at work until they switched everything over to AntiVir & threatfire. Seems to be a decent combo so far.

Glad you are up and running again. You may want to download "SuperAntiSpyware" from Download.com and run it. Also run a registry cleaner afterwards. You can get rid of SAS after it clears up your stuff, it an early starter for reboots and catches a lot of stuff the first time thru. I run it every once in a while, seems to help

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 06:38 AM

I had something similar last year and had to take it in for a cleaning. Since then i have been using avast antivirus and it seems to do a good job. It updates automatically and it was free.

#9 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 07:03 AM

Mine crashed 2 weeks ago. Could not use browser and could not run a malwarebytes program that a technician installed two years ago when the same thing happened.

The computer tech worked unsuccessfully for two days and finally called me and said best for me to come down while he backed up my files so he could wipe my desktop. So now I am busy downloading programs.

I had posted a Ride-A-Matic.... on Pittsburg Craigslist earlier that day and I got a reply.... which only said "hi" ..... soon afterwards I crashed.

Luckly for me this technician has a flat rate $50 bench fee !!!!

.... and when it rains it pours .... then my laptop would not wifi so I was without a computer for a week . Had to use the neighbors to conduct business.

.... at least I still had my cell phone .... until the dog got muddy feet and I filled a tub with water and bent over to set it on the floor and my cell phone slid out of my pocket.

.... But at least it came back to life after 3 days in a rice bag! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:09 AM

I had a few guys at work pick up similar on there laptops. A real B to get rid of.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:22 AM

I had a few guys at work pick up similar on there laptops. A real B to get rid of.

Took me about an hour, once I settled in my mind what it was. You have to work quick in between warning pop-ups to get your "restore to earlier date" up & running.
But Ducky, if I'm not wrong, can't you shut them down, then on reboot hit F11 and still just restore to an earlier date, or is a full restore the only option in that way?

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Had something get mine Thrusday morning. It was in a E-mail from the IRS.gov., which I have to deal with every year it seems like. Opened a attachment to download the forms, and it was on. My computer locked up, showed a screen saying all kinds of things, hard drive failure, OP failure, file corruption. I couldn't do anyhing, did f-11 start up and saved as many files as I could, then whipped it keep and reinstalled Windows again. I'm so tired of this junk...

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 12:03 PM

Had something get mine Thrusday morning. It was in a E-mail from the IRS.gov., which I have to deal with every year it seems like. Opened a attachment to download the forms, and it was on. My computer locked up, showed a screen saying all kinds of things, hard drive failure, OP failure, file corruption. I couldn't do anyhing, did f-11 start up and saved as many files as I could, then whipped it keep and reinstalled Windows again. I'm so tired of this junk...

One thing i do with email attachments is to copy the link and then paste it in google. If its legit it will usually pop up on the google search, if not it may still pop up but it will have some strange description with it.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:14 PM

My pooter is working beautifully still! Used to, when something like this happened, I'd be hours if not a couple days getting it fixed. Now it's fairly easy. Doesn't happen too often. Maybe 5 or 6 times in the last 5 or 6 years. What I hate is when a hard drive crashes!!!!!! BUT, using Acronis, I can record an exact copy of my current hard drive to another spare hard drive, so if my hard drive crashes, it's a simple job of sliding my spare hard drive in & it's like nothing ever happened.

#15 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 10:21 PM

to get a computer working again after getting a infected
turn off the computer for about 5 seconds and turn back on
press the F8 key before windows starts up
you will have several options
select boot in safe mode with internet
open internet explorer and download the free versions for malwarebytes, Piriform CCleaner, and toniarts easy cleaner

run malwarebytes first - full scan - you should ran it two time or under it states that you have no errors
ran malwarebytes in safe mode with internet - that way you can get their updates

the others you do not need to ran in safe mode - regular Windows will be okay
If you with you can unplug you network cable if you wish

run CCleaner - select Cleaner and run several time until it find nothing
then run the Registry - you only need to run this only
run Easy Cleaner - select Registry - needs to be ran only once - select Find - then select Delete All - then Close
select Unnecessacy - select Normal Types, extra types, Temp Directories, and Temp Internet files, you can also select Browser History if you want - then click on Find - after it find all of them - click on Delete All

you can ran any of them if you think you are having a problem

I am a computer tech and these are the programs I use to clean an infected pc/laptop

After you pc is clean you also need a good anti-virus program, like AVG or Avast - both are free too.

To keep my pcs and laptops that I use at home I use Ubuntu (Linux) - it is free to download and use. there are other good Linux programs out there.

With Linux you do not have to worry about getting ANY infections on the PC. They have better security than what Windows tries to have

I hope this help you in the future
  • MH81 and coldone have said thanks