• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jake OFFLINE  

Jake

• Member No: 1241
  • 252 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 02:36 PM

I am in the middle of a articulating John Deere build. I started with a 317 and a 2nd 317 rear and hydro. I put the 2 rears in facing each other input shaft to input shaft. I rotated the charged pump on the front hydro so I can turn it the other way and it works just the front rear now is faster in reverse then forward how can I fix this? Will flipping the swash plate in the hydro fix this? Thanks for any helpIMG_1293.JPG

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 43,182 Thanks
  • 32,014 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 02:45 PM

I am in the middle of a articulating John Deere build. I started with a 317 and a 2nd 317 rear and hydro. I put the 2 rears in facing each other input shaft to input shaft. I rotated the charged pump on the front hydro so I can turn it the other way and it works just the front rear now is faster in reverse then forward how can I fix this? Will flipping the swash plate in the hydro fix this? Thanks for any helpattachicon.gifIMG_1293.JPG

On the one you reversed, you will have to change the swash plate control arm 180* from it's current position.  Your reverse as is it is now is operating in forward speed instead of reverse speed.   

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#3 Jake OFFLINE  

Jake

• 252 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 02:57 PM

Will I have to go inside the hydro and flip the swash plate? I think there is a stop block on one side of the plate to stop the travel in reverse

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 43,182 Thanks
  • 32,014 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 11:37 PM

I brain farted in my reply, and I apologize.  If your pumps are operating the motors in the same direction as needed, then I was completely wrong in my post.    I do think there is a a bump on the housing that stops the travel of the swash plate that will have to be ground down.  I just can't remember for sure, but I don't think the bump is on the swash plate itself.  Maybe someone else with a better memory than mine will chime in.  Either way, you will have to go inside the unit.

#5 Jake OFFLINE  

Jake

• 252 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 06:19 AM

Before I changed the charge pump you had to pull the lever on the hydro to go forward and push to go in reverse. Now when you pull it it’s in reverse but the rear is in the tractor backward so that’s ok. So if I am still pulling the lever like before the block on the swash plate should not be it that should hit when you push the lever. I never tried the hydro befor I put it in is there some other thing that would slow it down thanks

#6 pinknoise OFFLINE  

pinknoise
  • Member No: 89333
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 11:36 PM

I am wanting to do a similar project.  Can you explain how you rotated the charge pump and if and how you solved the speed issue?

#7 Bkb OFFLINE  

Bkb
  • Member No: 89492
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 07:59 PM

To flip the charge pump you take out the 2 bolts and spin it 180' bolt back up. That is interesting I swapped a 4A032 engine in my deutz and had to flip my charge pump since the motor spins the wrong way. I always thought the tractor was very slow after that, but way to much changed to really tell.

#8 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 566 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 10:57 PM

Turn the front hydro/final drive around and drive the hydro with the shaft that normally turns the fan. That is actually the input shaft and it goes all the way through the hydro.

There is a different valve plate required for the hydro pump if it needs to turn in the opposite direction as it does with the current setup. There are ramps cut into the valve plate at the ends of the ports to provide a transition for the pressure spikes from each piston in rotation. The valve plates are made for either clockwise or counterclockwise rotation with the notches at the appropriate ends of the ports.

The reason for the different speeds is in the linkage on the outside of the hydro. It has a limited travel in one direction (reverse) to keep the speed down. There is no such limitation inside the hydro itself.

• Alc said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 43,182 Thanks
  • 32,014 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 10:19 AM

Turn the front hydro/final drive around and drive the hydro with the shaft that normally turns the fan. That is actually the input shaft and it goes all the way through the hydro.

There is a different valve plate required for the hydro pump if it needs to turn in the opposite direction as it does with the current setup. There are ramps cut into the valve plate at the ends of the ports to provide a transition for the pressure spikes from each piston in rotation. The valve plates are made for either clockwise or counterclockwise rotation with the notches at the appropriate ends of the ports.

The reason for the different speeds is in the linkage on the outside of the hydro. It has a limited travel in one direction (reverse) to keep the speed down. There is no such limitation inside the hydro itself.

Yes, on Hogzilla when I set the engine to turn the hydro opposite, I cut ramps on the plate.  It now has ramps both ways, but it performs wonderfully.

• Alc said thank you

#10 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,585 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 12:05 PM

This all seems very interesting but for all us people who don't have a Sunstrand in front of us and never have had pictures would be a great help. We need pictures.   Don

• KennyP said thank you

#11 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 566 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 03:15 AM

There is a repair manual by Wheel Horse for the Type U hydro in the hydro manuals thread of the Hydraulics forum on MTF. The pic of the valve [lates is figure 44 on page 33 of that manual.

For whatever reason, this site will not allow me to paste the link to either the manual or the thread.

Edited by TUDOR, February 13, 2018 - 03:15 AM.