• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • Member No: 89144
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 10:05 PM

I got this tractor about two months ago, Been working on it since I got it. Nothing major. Little things needed replaced. Seat was eaten by a dog...along with the steering wheel and shifter handle being chewed. Headlights and tail lights didnt work and were replaced. Neutralizer pedal spring was shot, Battery gone, Air cleaner gone, just alot of little things.

The brakes do not work. Not the pushing down the neutralizer pedal doesnt stop it....but it would be nice if it did work. I have been looking for brake shoes or pads for it and I havent found them yet. So since I have been updating everything else....I had a thought. Has anyone put hydraulic disc brakes on one of these? I have been looking up ATV and go kart brake parts. The thought it there...just wondering if anyone has tried this. 

Here is a few pics of my project.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171105_095019.jpg
  • 20171112_095208.jpg
  • 20171130_154240.jpg
  • 20171130_154252.jpg
  • 20171202_133418.jpg
  • 20171211_091702.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,577 Thanks
  • 9,053 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 01:10 AM

Welcome to GTT. Nice GT. Download the manual from our Manuals Section. Check that the brake is hooked up and adjusted correctly. If the band is worn out check with our sponsors for a replacement these machines don't travel fast so that hydraulic brakes are over kill. Worry about that nice air cleanner getting wet. It needs a cover to protect it from rain. Good Luck, Rick

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 5,171 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 05:42 AM

Welcome to the forums!
This is the disc brakes or is a drum? I should redo the brakes on mine, but haven't started looking for parts yet. The last time I had checked for parts on brakes there were a lot of them marked not available. Occasionally see brake parts on eBay.

Edited by shorty, December 19, 2017 - 05:46 AM.

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 07:00 AM

brakes are over rated on these ha ha...  really with the hydro I don't use mine much....

strange to see a Sperry NH dealer decal on an Ariens being that these tractors started out with that company before Ariens bought the line and changed the color to orange...  another Illinois guy....  don't see that many around here. 

There's a gut in Paxton that between him and father in law are supposed to have a few of them....  and I met a guy in ElPaso (north of Bloomington) on the Yahoo group that has several, been trying to connect with both these guys.

the guy from the Yahoo group recently left me a phone number I just have been too busy to try it.  

but by and large, IL seems to be an Ariens desert besides walk behind snow blowers. ...

I went "just" across the IL/WI line a couple weeks ago to buy a parts tractor just to get the snow blower that came with it,  even with crossing the part numbers I could, and getting everything I could someplace other than Ariens themselves I'm gonna have more into this blower than I initially paid for my 3 running machines combined, and more than I have into any 2 upon getting them running....

if I used 100% genuine Ariens stuff on it I'd have probably close to double again tied up into this one attachment. 

but for things like belts bearings and seals that would be nuts....   one part I found as a John Deere for $13 that would have been $102 as an Ariens part and at that, to go to the hardware store I probably could have gotten it for ~$5.  that would be the cable that spins the chute....

there is one pulley that really killed me to have to pay Ariens price for that I had to cut off to disassemble it  but even there I found 1 place I could get it in the low $60 range when most were mid $70s range...  $23 for 2 belts that would have been more than double, things like that....

I have lots of computer time tied up in it to find the best deals on stuff without resorting to China crap.

Edited by dodge trucker, December 19, 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#5 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 59 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 07:13 AM

Being hydrostatic drive, the brakes are little if any help!  I'd first check to make sure that your forward/reverse lever moves into the neutral position when you depress the neutralizer pedal.  Perhaps someone has disconnected the linkage.  One of the safety decals on the lower dash support should read something along the lines of;  BRAKES WILL NOT STOP TRACTOR UNLESS IN NEUTRAL OR NEUTRALIZER PEDAL IS DEPRESSED.  In other words, the transmission when in neutral stops the tractor.  

Edited by warren, December 19, 2017 - 07:14 AM.

• shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 07:26 AM

1 more question for you... been into the wiring/safety interlock system on yours yet?   Rewired and totally eliminated that stuff on the S16H, about 80% of the way thru that process on the GT19. That machine and project has been my last couple of nights in the garage after work. Brand new switches for everything, (none OEM),  lights, (LED's) and wiring itself, all soldered and heat shrinked along the way.... 

#7 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 09:24 AM

brakes are over rated on these ha ha...  really with the hydro I don't use mine much....

strange to see a Sperry NH dealer decal on an Ariens being that these tractors started out with that company before Ariens bought the line and changed the color to orange...  another Illinois guy....  don't see that many around here. 

There's a gut in Paxton that between him and father in law are supposed to have a few of them....  and I met a guy in ElPaso (north of Bloomington) on the Yahoo group that has several, been trying to connect with both these guys.

the guy from the Yahoo group recently left me a phone number I just have been too busy to try it.  

but by and large, IL seems to be an Ariens desert besides walk behind snow blowers. ...

I went "just" across the IL/WI line a couple weeks ago to buy a parts tractor just to get the snow blower that came with it,  even with crossing the part numbers I could, and getting everything I could someplace other than Ariens themselves I'm gonna have more into this blower than I initially paid for my 3 running machines combined, and more than I have into any 2 upon getting them running....

if I used 100% genuine Ariens stuff on it I'd have probably close to double again tied up into this one attachment. 

but for things like belts bearings and seals that would be nuts....   one part I found as a John Deere for $13 that would have been $102 as an Ariens part and at that, to go to the hardware store I probably could have gotten it for ~$5.  that would be the cable that spins the chute....

there is one pulley that really killed me to have to pay Ariens price for that I had to cut off to disassemble it  but even there I found 1 place I could get it in the low $60 range when most were mid $70s range...  $23 for 2 belts that would have been more than double, things like that....

I have lots of computer time tied up in it to find the best deals on stuff without resorting to China crap.

To be honest with you....after getting this one I havent noticed there wasnt alot of these here in IL. This was a deal that came up at 50.00. Tractor, plow, deck, chains and weight box. It wasnt running. Had sat in a backyard for a year with no air cleaner on it. Just sitting in the weather. They had a dog tied up close to it...so the dog started chewing on anything plastic and the seat. they had drove it for about 5 miles with the right front tire flat and shredded the tire. That was the first thing plus the battery I got for it. Rebuilt the carb and she was off and running. I guess I am just trying to get everything working while doing little custom touches here and there.  

I have found out a few things while going at this tractor. A few things off a Chevy will fit. Things like the Coil, points and condenser. Another thing was the steering wheel adapter. That came off a 77 Chevy truck I had.

The brakes....I notice that if the tractor is running....it will start creeping backwards. I guess my thinking was if I got the brakes where they would lock...it wouldnt creep. But in reality of the situation....there has the be some kind of adjustment there to stop that from happening.

To answer your question about those safety switches....I think they are all gone. Along with the wires that went to them. Its a bit of a wiring nightmare. Lights didnt work. Those wires were just hanging everywhere. The relay that went to the lights were bypassed. I havent replaced that yet. I will soon. The lights are running off the battery. There is a little electronic board right above that headlight relay and wires have been cut from it and by passed. Not sure what it is. But I will replace that is it can be found and get that right. The solenoid is cracked and siliconed back together. Works....dont know how it is. Had the wire that goes to the key switch break off and I fixed that. I had thought about going LED for the lights. Just havent really thought it all out yet. It would be less draw off the battery if they were LED.

Alot of little things need to be fixed. Its coming one at a time.

Edited by Caminokid, December 19, 2017 - 09:25 AM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#8 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Welcome to the forums!
This is the disc brakes or is a drum? I should redo the brakes on mine, but haven't started looking for parts yet. The last time I had checked for parts on brakes there were a lot of them marked not available. Occasionally see brake parts on eBay.

I think they are drum. I havent really got a good look at them yet.

• shorty said thank you

#9 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 09:27 AM

Being hydrostatic drive, the brakes are little if any help!  I'd first check to make sure that your forward/reverse lever moves into the neutral position when you depress the neutralizer pedal.  Perhaps someone has disconnected the linkage.  One of the safety decals on the lower dash support should read something along the lines of;  BRAKES WILL NOT STOP TRACTOR UNLESS IN NEUTRAL OR NEUTRALIZER PEDAL IS DEPRESSED.  In other words, the transmission when in neutral stops the tractor.  

It does move back to neutral when I hit the pedal. At first the pedal was staying all the way forward. The spring was shot. I replaced that yesterday. Works good now.

#10 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 09:31 AM

I have never owned a Hydrostat tractor before. Now I have 3. The other 2 are newer and cheaper. May have bigger motors on them....but not half the tractor this one is. They are mowers. Riding mowers. That is all about they can do. Not saying they are not good mowers.....but you will not till a garden with them. Might plow some dirt or snow and that is pushing it. Not going to do the job like this Ariens. I was a huge Bolens and Cub Cadet person till I got this one.

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 12:04 PM

$50 gotta say you suck.
That pulley off the rear PTO is listed for more than that. Used. On eBay. For$50 I'd of bought it. I spent too much on piddly parts for the GT19 then met up with the owner (had it delivered by an member here that was passing thru) and got most of the missing parts, then wound up with a parts machine cheaper than the parts I had bought. Now got another parts machine that will mostly end up going to scrap after I pull off what I want that isn't damaged from being charred. Actually it would be a good base for a rebuild if someone wanted one to take apart from scratch and build it up but I have too much stuff, bot still don't have some of what I want or need.
Among that is 2 rear ends with brakes one drum and one disc version

Edited by dodge trucker, December 19, 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#12 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 04:15 PM

$50 gotta say you suck.
That pulley off the rear PTO is listed for more than that. Used. On eBay. For$50 I'd of bought it. I spent too much on piddly parts for the GT19 then met up with the owner (had it delivered by an member here that was passing thru) and got most of the missing parts, then wound up with a parts machine cheaper than the parts I had bought. Now got another parts machine that will mostly end up going to scrap after I pull off what I want that isn't damaged from being charred. Actually it would be a good base for a rebuild if someone wanted one to take apart from scratch and build it up but I have too much stuff, bot still don't have some of what I want or need.
Among that is 2 rear ends with brakes one drum and one disc version

It was a crazy deal I wasnt passing it up. I didnt really know what a Ariens was worth. I knew any garden tractor was worth more then 50 running or not. When the guy said there was a deck and the weight box...I knew I was stealing it. I no more then get it home....I got 3 riding mowers given to me and bought 2 perfect push mowers for 20. Those are pump the bulbs 2 times and one pull start. I have seen the deck for anywhere in the upwards of 750.00 on ebay. The plow for 350.00. And my neighbor across the street cant understand why I wont sell it to him for 900.00 that he offered me. He told me I was making alot of money on the deal. I told him...I know what I have now. Told him I would sell him one of the riders for a 1/3 of that. LOL

#13 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 04:22 PM

Just to answer a question from earlier of drums or discs....I got out there and got a look at it and it is discs. Kinda rusty. Doesnt look like they have been grabbing in years.

• shorty said thank you

#14 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 3,025 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 04:41 PM

as far as the creeping, it is an adjustment in the trans linkage. how freely does that move?  One of mine is a bit stiff and I gotta be sure the fork that the lever operates is all the way back in the "H" portion of the slot or that one will creep forward, I think its from having sat for who knows how long.

#15 Caminokid OFFLINE  

Caminokid
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 05:23 PM

as far as the creeping, it is an adjustment in the trans linkage. how freely does that move?  One of mine is a bit stiff and I gotta be sure the fork that the lever operates is all the way back in the "H" portion of the slot or that one will creep forward, I think its from having sat for who knows how long.

It moves easy. If I put just a pinch above the H forward it doesnt creep. So That would make sense to adjust it there.

• dodge trucker said thank you