• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 TooMuchSidewalk OFFLINE  

TooMuchSidewalk
  • Member No: 89143
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 21, 2017 - 01:58 PM

Plowing snow with a new Cub Cadet or equal size JD will give more trouble in about a year or two.

I had read that the newer transmissions won't hold up to the abuses of moving snow or tilling. Designed more towards mowing.

• shorty said thank you

#17 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,309 Thanks
  • 3,023 posts

Posted December 21, 2017 - 04:26 PM

So are you saying that you either can't or don't do your own repairs? Or is that just for the new one in case you have to use the warranty?

#18 TooMuchSidewalk OFFLINE  

TooMuchSidewalk
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 21, 2017 - 05:02 PM

That's how far I would have to haul for warranty. I'll do my own work on the old rides!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#19 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,309 Thanks
  • 3,023 posts

Posted December 21, 2017 - 07:08 PM

Oh ok.... because any machine you get will need maintained, an older one may need a little more until you get it "caught up" on all the past owner(s) haven't done, plus you may have to undo  a few modifications...... Being youre new we don't know you much yet, some people don't have a clue what makes a machine like these tick.

#20 TooMuchSidewalk OFFLINE  

TooMuchSidewalk
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 07:20 AM

Checked the equipment out yesterday afternoon. Once we got a good jump on the gt17, it fired right up even though it was only 10 degrees. The hydro whines rather loudly but I assume that is normal especially with the cold temp. Says he has a couple more interested buyers. I'll let him stew a few days and then make an offer on the gt17, blower, and the blade. I just don't have a need for the rest of it.

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,309 Thanks
  • 3,023 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 09:08 AM

hmm thought you were going to have alot of use for the tiller, but then again going by your screen name, no, a rototiller won't work too good to tear up a sidewalk.
On the whining issue I just got my gt19 going after sitting on my trailer for the last year-plus and it whined alot too. I checked the fluid in the hydro and it was milky. After a drain and refill plus new filter no more whine. I have had that machine 3 years now,and put about 4 hours on it in that time, much of that plowing snow. Though the 1st thing that I had to do with it upon bringing it home was to reassemble the lift cylinder which was in pieces laying in a coffee can, and then almost immediately after the 1st fire up and getting the system full of fluid, it blew a hose, so I had all new ones made and again filled the system.
IDK if the water that got in there was just condensation from sitting on the trailer under the tarp or from that couple of hours of plowing 2 winter's ago. I don't remember burying it in the ditch or anything like that....
Had a similar experience with a Sears hydro suburban with a snowblower on it, that one simply locked up while doing a neighbor's driveway, we dragged it home and put it in the garage to thaw, then changed fluid and never had another issue with it.
  • TooMuchSidewalk said thank you

#22 TooMuchSidewalk OFFLINE  

TooMuchSidewalk
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 04:47 PM

hmm thought you were going to have alot of use for the tiller, but then again going by your screen name, no, a rototiller won't work too good to tear up a sidewalk.

I thought I would have a lot of use for a tiller as well but both of them were wore out. I need to be out in the garden this spring and not in the shop rebuilding a tiller so I'll use the troy built till I need a big tractor. The blower was like new though!

#23 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,309 Thanks
  • 3,023 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 05:59 PM

well you could be like me with the tillers.... only I am doing this with a snow blower.... youre talking about rebuilding a tiller so you can use it... at least youre a season ahead... we're into winter and I'm just now rebuilding a snow blower from scratch....

#24 TooMuchSidewalk OFFLINE  

TooMuchSidewalk
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 08:30 AM

-17 degrees F here this morning!

On the whining issue I just got my gt19 going after sitting on my trailer for the last year-plus and it whined alot too. I checked the fluid in the hydro and it was milky. After a drain and refill plus new filter no more whine.

The seller told me the whine was normal and that his JD is the same way. I believed him but am glad to know that it will need fresh fluids if I get to bring it home!

Bought a new toro snowblower at ace Friday so the pressure is off for snow removal! I brought it home Friday night and had 3" of fresh snow Saturday morning. What a relief, I can enjoy snow again!  :dancingbanana: We're having a white Christmas in northern Wyoming!

I am still interested in the gt17 but I now feel like I am in a better position to deal. After Christmas I am going to make an offer on the GT17, blade and blower.

The seller has replaced the original driveshaft on the gt17 with a u-jointed shaft of his own design. Looks like a clean installation. Is this a good update? Anything I need to check?

Edited by TooMuchSidewalk, December 24, 2017 - 08:34 AM.

#25 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,290 Thanks
  • 5,170 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 08:54 AM

After having a drive shaft break loose, and hearing the carnage under the seat. I think an upgrade is good.
  • dodge trucker and TooMuchSidewalk have said thanks

#26 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,309 Thanks
  • 3,023 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 08:16 PM

I might be interested in seeing what they did for a driveshaft as well.

#27 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,290 Thanks
  • 5,170 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 09:33 PM

For me the flex coupler broke by the pump. Allowing the shaft to bounce around until it broke free from the engine. I was told that switching the pump side of the shaft to a u-joint would be a good idea. Which the hardware store had every thing to build one that fit. Just didn't fit the budget.

#28 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,309 Thanks
  • 3,023 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 11:38 PM

yeah  I think that something similar to something I saw posted for Cub cadets might work. I think Kenny just posted what I am talking about to the manuals.

#29 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,309 Thanks
  • 3,023 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 11:39 PM

back to the whining.... yeah a lot of hydros whine for sure but some are worse than others, sometimes you can do things to cut down on it.  but I don't think that you ever totally "get rid of" it.