• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 765 Thanks
  • 595 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 01:26 AM

I got this 1976 Case 224 for free with another tractor that I bought on Craigslist. I only really wanted the other tractor, but the guy said I had to take this 224 too. I can't say no to a free tractor even though I didn't really want it. It sat outside for a few months while I contemplated parting it out. I never was really a fan of Case garden tractors orange paint scheme (sorry guys, no offense) and I already had enough (big) vintage garden tractors in my collection.....more uncommon ones like a Massey Ferguson 1855 and Ford LGT 195 as you guys probably know of from my other threads, so I had no real desire to do anything with this 224. BUT, I did have a bug in the back of my mind about doing up a Case with silver and orange wheels, white fenders and hood (not the earlier cream color), and ag tires after seeing a picture.  Then not too long ago, I realized that I could make my 224 look like this with not too much work or too much money. So I got a better look into what I was working with on the free 224 I had in my yard.

It was actually not too bad once I got into looking over it, but it had a broken rod in the Kohler K321 (I remember the previous owner telling me this, and I see why he gave it to me) and someone messed with the wiring a little bit....they did a decent job, but it had no spark. Fast forward to about a month ago, I'm looking at Craigslist one night and there's a Kohler K301 for sale that a guy took out of a Case 446 to put the correct Onan back in......for only $60 and it ran! I bought it and we got talking and he told me about how there's all kinds of info on this site and he restored his 446 back to original condition. A very nice guy he was. I switched a few things over, pulled the K321 with a broken rod out, and bolted the K301 in. Everything worked, even the headlights, but I had no spark. After I ran a wire from the + on the battery to the + on the coil, I found my problem (thanks for your help with this, everybody!).  I then had spark and I hooked up all my cables, exhaust, etc.  I'll change the fluids and I'll be replacing the tie rod ends and other little worn parts as I go with McMaster-Carr pieces, but mechanically she's pretty sound.

Next up is the fun stuff! Most of my other garden tractors are the very big ones with 26" tires, but I had a set of new 23x10.50-12 Carlisle Tru Power ag tires that I mounted on 12x8.5 Cub Cadet wheels that I never used but saved for some reason. The offset was perfect so they bolted right on and didn't hit the hydraulic motor. Next up was the front tires. I wanted ags up front to match because I think it gives the little Case a "BIG farm tractor, 4 wheel drive" kind of look.  $30 later for a brand new pair of Carlisle 16x6.50-8 ags off Craigslist and I'm all set there.  Then I changed my mind....I dismounted one oft the 23 Tru Powers and put on a 26x12-12 Goodyear Super Terra Grip......I like it a lot!  For the fronts, I needed a tire that's slightly taller than the 16" stock ones, so I found Carlisle Turf Glide tires in a 8.00-6 size.  I had a set of 6" wheels with a 3/4" bore laying around that worked perfect (which I painted up to match the rears, orange center, silver lips.  The new front Turf Glide tires are about 17.5" tall by 7.5" wide, which should be perfect as far as proportion to the rear 26's goes and they shouldn't hit on the frame at full crank when turning.  This combination looks like the Spirit of '76 big Case farm tractors with the front flotation tires.  I'm pretty sure this is what I'll be sticking with, but we'll see for sure when I actually get them on the tractor.

Next, I got a set of 224 decals with the earlier pre-1976 "case" logo from Maple Hunter Texas (they do great work). I also got a set of later Case 200 series, larger, longer running boards. They probably did this so your feet didn't come in contact with the rear tires I'm assuming. I ground the heavy rust off the metal parts and took them along with the hood (which looks rough but only needed a very little bit of Bondo to fill dings and deep rust pits) and the running boards, and rear fenders to my favorite sandblasting/weld shop where I always have my work done for a sandblasting and a coat of industrial primer. I already had the rear wheels in primer so I shot the hubs/centers with a coat of Rustoleum Chevy Engine Orange (not the red/orange) Enamel and then clear coat. I then did the rims with Rustoleum Wheel Silver. These look SOOOOOOO GOOD with the ags on them.............this is just what I was aiming for. It already looks like a mini "big farm tractor." The Chevy Engine Orange is a PERFECT match for the Case orange. I plan on giving the chassis a fresh coat of it as well once I'm done with everything else. Finally, I'll be adding some flush mount LED lights (the ones they sell on ebay and Amazon) and try to make them fit and look as "factory original" as possible. I'll have a lot more pics of my tractor up this week along with a couple questions on the front PTO and the rear sleeve hitch I picked up off Craigslist. Thanks guys!

Here's a few pics.....the before, the next is during painting, and the next is the finished paint on my hood, the wheels and tires (my first configuration of 16's and 23's and then the larger 8.00-6 and 26's), and one of a big 1976 Case farm tractor that I'm looking to replicate.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo0808.jpg
  • post-69996-0-79232700-1512344112.jpg
  • STP62137.jpg
  • post-69996-0-92868500-1512344232.jpg
  • post-69996-0-99211100-1512343978.jpg
  • photo0886.jpg
  • pneu-tondeuse-carlisle-turf-glide-8-00-6-4-plis-de-renfort--970530.JPG
  • feb06_real (Custom).jpg
  • 19f5cd97e98fd5a45dd80e1a24c0aac9--disney-pics-heavy-equipment.jpg
  • d9b865ee7478b4639f9e413dcebe4cf3--case-tractors-case-ih.jpg

Edited by jpswift1, December 18, 2017 - 01:43 AM.

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth, chris m and 5 others have said thanks

#2 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 58 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 09:02 AM

Nice job. I do like the paint scheme you picked for the wheels even though that was only on the big tractors.
  • jpswift1 said thank you

#3 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 765 Thanks
  • 595 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 10:21 AM

Nice job. I do like the paint scheme you picked for the wheels even though that was only on the big tractors.

Thank you.  Unfortunately it seems Case only offered all orange for their wheels on the garden tractors with the orange and white paint scheme.  The snow is melting here, so hopefully I can get some pictures this week of them mounted on the tractor.

#4 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 632 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 03:32 PM

A little tin fabrication and you can get the grill and front end looking just like that 70 series Case.

#5 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 765 Thanks
  • 595 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 10:43 PM

Here's the front Carlisle Turf Glide tires mounted on the 6" rims that I just painted.  I really like the look of this tire combination.

Attached Thumbnails

• STP62145.JPG

• chris m said thank you

#6 tractorskipper ONLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 573 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 11:06 PM

I have both big wheel & small wheel Cases & I like what you are doing.  It will be "one of".

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,036 Thanks
  • 46,727 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 07:23 AM

That'll gain some ground clearance!

#8 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 765 Thanks
  • 595 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 12:55 AM

Well tonight I was thrown a curve ball with my project, but in a good way.  I picked up an Ingersoll Odyssey tractor.  It's a 1998 model year that the owner purchased new and kept in immaculate condition.  The issue is that the seller said there's engine problems and he didn't want to take it to get serviced after he just had spent over $500 on it last spring (filters, oil, mower deck bearings and blades, and a voltage regulator).  It's a 14HP Briggs Vanguard, which is the same engine as the 16HP Vanguard with the exception of the carburetor.  I know a lot about these engines because I own/have owned so many amphibious 6 wheel ATVs that use this same engine.  These engines last a LONG, LONG time and I don't see any way that this tractor could have had any more than 500 hours on it they way it looks.  It was extremely well maintained, so I'm hoping there aren't any internal engine problems, but we'll see what's what tomorrow when I get into it more. 

So where does this leave me with my 224 restoration?  Well, this Odyssey looks pretty much the same as a 1970's 200 series Case with minor changes, a different engine obviously, an electric PTO, a different hood, different placement of the hydraulic cooler, and some other changes maybe the case guys are aware of.  I'm thinking I might use this tractor to paint orange and white and put the bigger tires and wheels on, but I don't know. 

What do you guys think?

00101_92mMLjTelp2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by jpswift1, December 20, 2017 - 01:57 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,036 Thanks
  • 46,727 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 05:24 AM

Would the deck still reach the grass?

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,257 Thanks
  • 10,106 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 05:37 AM

I would leave the Odyssey as is.
  • Leonard VanCamp and jpswift1 have said thanks

#11 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 765 Thanks
  • 595 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 10:21 AM

Would the deck still reach the grass?

Haha, that's a good question, with those big tires being so high I'd have to do a lot of adjusting and I'm not sure if it would.  I probably wouldn't use the deck though.  I have other mowers dedicated to mowing duty.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,633 Thanks
  • 1,869 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 11:20 PM

The main differences are the rotation of the engine and the Odyseey has the built in holding valve.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#13 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 765 Thanks
  • 595 posts

Posted December 21, 2017 - 12:51 AM

The main differences are the rotation of the engine and the Odyseey has the built in holding valve.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, Now that you mention it, I see how the engine is placed opposite that of the K series Kohlers.  From what I've read the Odyssey was only built for two years and there were only about 400 made.  I think I'm just going to continue on with my 224 restoration and send the Odyssey to a collector who can preserve it in their collection.

• KennyP, tiretrx and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#14 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 765 Thanks
  • 595 posts

Posted December 21, 2017 - 07:02 PM

I quickly put the tires and hood on the 224 to see how it would look at if everything fit alright.  There are no issues at all with clearance/fit.  I know the rear tires/wheels are on the wrong side (backwards), but I just wanted to get an idea on how they'd look and fit.  The offset of both front and rear look great too.  I didn't want the rears to look big and wide and out of proportion, like a cartoon or a hot rod puller......I wanted to have a stock appearance.  The fronts are mounted and aired up, but I didn't air the rears up yet because I still have to paint the inside lip of the rim.  I'm absolutely thrilled about how this tractor looks so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• STP62152.JPG
  • STP62154.JPG
  • STP62156.JPG

• KennyP and Z71 Sierra have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,036 Thanks
  • 46,727 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 04:53 AM

Looks like it is sitting fairly level! I like it!