• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Well, I saw this Porter Cable at a local tractor show for 75 bucks, but I wasn't too interested in it. The engine, front wheels, and some other parts were missing, so I passed on it. I did get the guys phone number since he wanted to know what engine would be right for it. I told him that I would give him a call after searching out the info. Some time went by after the show and I found what engine belonged on it. I went to give him a call, but I couldn't find his number for the life of me. A few weeks or so went by and I stumbled across another Porter Cable tractor missing the parts that the one at the show had...ain't that always the way? I tore the place apart, searched my wallet, the car, etc., and no luck. Then yesterday, I was looking through some papers and there was his number. I gave him a call and he still had the tractor and no plans for it.
Well it was about a 35 minute drive and I just got back. We crammed it into the back of Jeep and it just barely fit. Before I left, we talked for quite some time about tractors, Model A Fords, and his Mayrath tractor that his Uncle bought new back in the late 40's, early 50's. The Mayrath was at another location, so I didn't get to see that. When the weather warms up, I'll be going to his place to look at more of what he has. The Mayrath is not for sale, but I would like to get some pics of it anyway. The funny thing about the Porter Cable tractor is that it's only 20 away from my serial number on my Porter Cable. I will be using parts from it to make mine complete, but I would like to restore this one, too. Looks like I'll need another carcass to work with. Here's the crusty machine in the back of the Jeep, along with the serial number tags from both tractors.

Attached Thumbnails

• getPart-23.jpeg
  • getPart-25.jpeg
  • post-52970-0-29236500-1508015719.jpg

Edited by classic, December 19, 2017 - 12:11 AM.

• jhn9840, DougT, Gtractor and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1,257 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 08:43 PM

Sweet deal. I just got another motor and cradle for my Porter. Do you happen to know how long the belt is from the engine to drive pulley is.
  • classic said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:19 PM

Those engines and cradles are hard to find, Dayton. At least the rubber engine mounts are just rubber isolaters that are easy to find. I'll see if the belt length is in the service manual, and if not, I have the belt that came off of the first Porter Cable that I picked up. Just give me a sec and I'll check.

Edited by classic, December 17, 2017 - 11:07 PM.

#4 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • 1,257 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:29 PM

Thanks. I almost have it where I can try the mower deck
  • classic said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:49 PM

Great, it would be cool to mow with one of these tractors. The short belt from the engine to the drive pulley is a Gates 6832 on my Porter Cable. The long belt from the drive pulley to the transaxle is a Gates 6860. I glanced through a Moto Mower service manual and belt lengths vary between the Briggs and Kohler engines. The above belts are on my Porter Cable with the Briggs 143307 engine on it.
  • Dayton_King said thank you

#6 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • 1,257 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:58 PM

Cool, thanks that's what I have is the briggs
  • classic said thank you

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 10:16 PM

You're welcome Dayton. I just looked through the Moto Mower service book and came up with the same belt lengths using the Moto Mower part numbers. Here is what I came up with for the Briggs.

Moto Mower pn 1022460 1/2"x60" belt. Gates 6860.
Moto Mower pn 1022149 1/2"x32" belt, low speed range. Gates 6832.

There is also another belt listed in this same schematic for high speed range and it's Moto Mower pn 1022480 1/2"x31". I'll look into that more, so just use the 1/2"x60" and the 1/2"x32" belts and you'll be fine.
  • Dayton_King said thank you